[IC2 Exp][1.7.10] CompactSolars 4.4

• Official Post

From a quick look you seem to have left the EnergyNet.removeTileEntity() call out, without it the EnergyNet code will leak memory over time. The best place to call it is in TileEntity.invalidate(), don't forget to call super.invalidate() afterwards.

@all: Stop complaining about whether an addon might be overpowered from your point of view, you aren't forced to use it.

• From a quick look you seem to have left the EnergyNet.removeTileEntity() call out, without it the EnergyNet code will leak memory over time. The best place to call it is in TileEntity.invalidate(), don't forget to call super.invalidate() afterwards.

@all: Stop complaining about whether an addon might be overpowered from your point of view, you aren't forced to use it.

You're right. Thanks for the pointer. New version incoming shortly to fix that..

• Solar is overpowered? Wouldn't that be "all green power gens are overpowered", since they all produce about the same amount of energy per unit input? Heck, a properly set up Wind farm is even more efficient than solar, and Water is super consistent and very close to the same efficiency. The primary advantage of solar is that it has easy placement, which is hardly OP.

Sure it makes Nuke plants look like a bad buy in the long run, but that's really the Nuke plant's fault.

• Well first of all, you're breaking Wheaton's Law .

I most certainly am not. I'm responding to the actual violator of the law. I merely asked him to support his opinion. I'm not the one who wishes to make things so that there's only one way.

If he feels they're OP, he's welcome to not use the add-on and do it the old-fashioned way. I think Wil would agree that his law more aptly applies to those who would decide how others should play their game, don't you agree? :whistling:

I really question the necessity of your posts ._. You post your opinion and no one may criticise it. Makes no sense to me. I would mark it as spam.

I agree with this completely. I'm tired of people who expect their opinion to be sacrosanct, yet are unwilling to consider the opinions of others.

• On, but off topic.

I know you're just continuing the Arrays, but do you have any plans to make a few other types of Arrays? (Wind and Water are the only ones I know of that would moderately work.)

...What? There's no pineapples here.

GENERATION Pineapple: The first pineapple you see, copy it into your sig on any forum and add sqrt(-1) to the generation. Pineapple experiment.

• On, but off topic.

I know you're just continuing the Arrays, but do you have any plans to make a few other types of Arrays? (Wind and Water are the only ones I know of that would moderately work.)

The difference between making a Solar array from Wind or Water Arrays, its that Solar arrays emits a constant amount of EU and the only condition they take its from direct sunlight.

Unlike wind and Water which output change drastically with any element surrounding them and especially windmills that can break appart if they emit too much Energy.

Im not saying its impossible, but you would have to bend a lot of rules to make them work like you want them to.

• While I agree with you on the wind gens, water gens shouldn't be a problem in that regard. They just output power in relation to the number of water blocks nearby, and cap out at about half the power of a solar panel (0.25E/t). Making a HV water gen would be easy. You would probably have to more or less ignore the "manned" mode though and just have each bucket pump out 2EU/t for a short period of time just like it does on the regular water gen.

HV water would be a heck of a lot easier to install than a traditional water gen though.

• But you should remember that (Once again) unlike solar arrays, placing nearby solar panels didnt affect their funtion unless they were put one on top of other, with Water tower their total eu generation gets affected if you place these watergenerators too close to each other and the cable wiring also reduced the amount of valid water blocks nearby for the energy generation.

There is still some rules bending with the water arrays.

(Forgive any misspelling or confusion, im kinda tired right now sorry)

(Also this is just me laying out the logic of the process, if CPW wants to do so there is literally nothing that can stop him)

• No plans for water gens - pretty much because of this logic. Unlike solar which is just "canblockseesky" water gens are "how many water around me". That equation changes dramatically as you try and scale it. Even if you were to make a giant inventory - that would be absurd. No I'm not doing water. Or wind. Oh and I like being "unstoppable" ;)

• Will we be seeing the rest of the advanced machines being released later on or is this the only part of advanced machines you are rewriting?

• Will we be seeing the rest of the advanced machines being released later on or is this the only part of advanced machines you are rewriting?

Difficult to say right now. I would like to come up with a better solution than what was previously existing, and fits in better with current IC2 methodology (overclockers and other upgrades).

• I was preparing to chew you for being dumb enough for not reading what i said and completely stating the obvious, but for respect of CPW banning all discussion about solar arrays in a solar array thread i will not say any more about the issue here.

And here I am, preparing to chew you out for missing my point. You are using the concept that not needing 1024 blocks for the amount of power 512 panels produces is overpowererd. Let's explore that concept a bit.

Firstly, 1024 seems like a lot of blocks when you first look at the figure. Spatially, however, it really is nothing. A mere 16x32x2 actually. 2 layers on two chunks. That's really nothing, considering we're playing a game where there is (to a degree) near unlimited space in the first place. Space is not the reason these are overpowered, and don't argue the time used to wire and place them, even manually placing them is not a huge feat, a bunch of tin under to wire and a transformer in the centre. The only real argument in this regard is that it's aestheticly not viable. That varies from person to person and you can just shove this in a out of space spot (like a desert) and have some chunkloaders. Overall, I'd say more effort would go into crafting the LV and MV arrays to make the HV array than this.

So now that I've argued space is not the reason arrays are overpowered, I'll follow with my other point (also echoed by others in this thread) that solar panels, not arrays, are overpowered. Regardless if you can get that kind of power in 1024 blocks or one, the amount of ease in which you get it is the issue, not the space needed to do so.

Oh, is that a Homestuck avatar you have there?

• would like to point out an issue with the gui. when using buildcraft 2.2.12 with this, the Lv solar array overrides the buildcraft steam engine gui. manual changing of SA LV gui number makes the steam gui present for both.

• I ran into an issue with this mod: When loading a world that had LV Solar Arrays from AdvancedMachines, all LV solar panels in the world and inventory turn into HV solar panels.

• CompactSolars, for SMP and SSP is ready.

Finally, NO THREADJACKING ABOUT THE MERITS OF THESE. I KNOW THEY ARE OVERPOWERED. SOLARS ARE OVERPOWERED FULL STOP, OK? This mod exists to make the big server guys' lives easier because they don't watch their server's CPU disappear when people build giant great big solar arrays.

Moderators can I please request we start deleting threadjacks about how overpowered these are? We know already. This is a stopgap measure until solars are removed entirely from IC2 or a better solution (like Al's actual array idea) comes along.

Solar should not be removed from IC..

First Can you make it configurable so I can change the power outputs of different panels?

Second.. THE lag is not fault of Solar array, it is IC's fault. It's way to handle EU packets.. And the EU unit in common.. It should be reworked to be "Amp's And Voltage system"