Vanilla and IC/Techmods

• Official Post

Before i start writing down my ideas i would like to clarify something:

I lost interest in pretty much every techmod (including IC) about a month ago.

These are just my opinions on how to improve IC and i know that some of the ideas stated here may already have been mentioned/rejected and this whole topic has already been discussed.

Lets start! :)

I have been playing minecraft since alpha and IC since 1.4 now.

I found my old IC minecraft folder + some worlds on my old pc today (beta 1.4_1).

Just out of curiosity i looked into my legit world.. and i started playing IC1 again.

Holy crap i had so much fun - everything may be primitive but still.

And after i stopped playing i thought about how minecraft and ic developed.

Minecraft took the RPG-ish route.

Mojang added hunger, "combat mechanics", villages and all kind of stuff.
    (i love those btw - they are partially unfinished, but thats getting
    polished up slowly :3)

IC well.. IC² added more cables, easier wiring an improved nuke gen and a lot of tweaks.

Then the 1.8/1.0 update came..

nearly everone hated on Mojang about destroying their game and that the RPG-ish stuff sucks and destroys the techmods.

Guess what? It didnt.

Magic and enchantments may not fit perfectly in an industrialized world,
    but i honestly enjoyed enchanting my IC tools and i still used potions.
    The 1.0 update came and everyone (on IR) enchanted their diamond drills and quantum suits.
    Nobody complained about it not "fiting in that industrial theme and mojang being stupid for doing their rpg stuff".
    Nobody hated on mojang - i'm not counting complains about them not implementing proper multithreading :3.

People though about what to do about the magicy stuff. At some point there was the idea to just remove the magicy stuff.
    As we all know that didn't actually happen.
    The next idea was using exp for upgrading your industrial equipment.
    This idea was not chosen to be the one too.
    The ability to enchant industrial stuff was just removed. And thats kinda sad
    In my opinion there is no point in working against the minecraft developement.
    I would actually like to see more stuff like vanilla mc - only industrialized.
    f.e: abandoned factories (yea i know there were tons of suggestions..), enchantments, "energy drinks" and so on.
    edit1: Continuing.
    I enjoy playing vanilla minecraft - it is balanced somehow.
    I dont know how they did it but it actually is.
    It may be a bit too easy with the high level enchantments, but i wouldn't like to get murdered by a zombie wearing diamond equipment i spent 6x50levels on (armor+bow+sword)
    To come back to ic:
    I would like to see ic sticking more to vanilla content, improving and industrializing it.
    I dont want evil robots that take down your iron doors or new biomes.
    i'd just like to see some integration and not just "aww f.. there is another mc update... we'll have to port everything to mc 1.x :("
    (Using 1.2 as example)
    You should think like:
    "Hey a minecraft update!
    Oh look there is some kind of golem you can craft - why dont we make another recipe for a ROBOT?
    Using (adv.) machine blocks instead of iron blocks[..]"
    "There is a new jungle biome.. that would be perfect to introduce rare overgrown factory ruines.."
    You get the idea.
    It would probably take time to prepare all those thing, but there are the weekly snapshots and you'll have some time to prepare everything important to just throw it into the code when the update is officially being released.
    And i also know Alb and some others didn't have much time over the last month - thats fine.
    I think there are still some talented people out there that would like to help :)
    [...]
    Thats it for today.
    Too be continued

Oh yeah - 1.2 update spam incoming!

• True story.

Many people keep bugging us about reenabling enchantments, can't they just learn magic doesn't fit technology...

I completely agree with what your asserting. However, at some point after you have been nagged nearly to death, you just give in and say "fuck it". It is a game after all, not IRL serious business. The benifit of not being hounded and harassed may one day seem more appealing then maintaining creative control over something that offers miniscule to no returns on investment.

The worst that could happen is people wind up playing an anachronistic mish-mash of genres, which seems to work out well for WOW.

Let the chips fall where they may.

• Official Post

Well, that's like... my oppinion as well ^^
    Though mainly it's my oppinion of the current enchantment system being missdesigned as hell and thus my disintention to support it in any way.
    As long as I'm leading the IC² team, we probably won't permit enchantments for anything beyond Bronze pickaxes.

Btw, i assume treetaps are unenchantable?

• Official Post

True story.

Many people keep bugging us about reenabling enchantments, can't they just learn magic doesn't fit technology...

It does :3

Well, that's like... my oppinion as well ^^
    Though
    mainly it's my oppinion of the current enchantment system being
    missdesigned as hell and thus my disintention to support it in any way.

Build your own enchanting system then :D

Build your own enchanting system then :D

Which, I'd also like to point out as well... Thaumcraft 2 will have its own unique system for handling enchantments, where you use vis instead of XP to enchant materials, and brains (that's right, brains) in order to increase the level and type of enchantments available to you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0kFvcLsFV4

IC could use the Nano-bot suggestion as its alternative, where Tech levels and EU input determine the types of 'nano-upgrades' available to the player...
    (that's also to suggest that the types of 'enchantments' that you can obtain are not limited to strictly the vMC set, as well...)

Would anyone like to try a Slowpoke Tail?! Only 1 Million Yen!

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

Every Mod Author, in existence. And yet, you STILL say otherwise.