[suggestion] More batteries

• ok so the idea is a new recipe for an existing battery and a new kind of battery.

first is making single use batteries from copper wire and gunpowder. the logic being gunpowder is made from the same ingredients as the dry single use battery recipe it would work out to 1 gunpowder equals 5-10 single use batteries

second is the melon battery. a shapeless recipe that uses a melon block a gold cable and a hv cable. why iron and gold? cause unlike copper and tin you can grow iron and gold. to be used the melon battery would have to be placed like a block and connected to the EUnet (output on all sides). it would generate 5000 to 10000 eu at 5eu/t as the power is used up the block would turn grayer breaking it or hitting it with a wrench will destroy it with no drops. or the melon battery can be thrown in a crop analyzer where it will have just enough energy to process a seed bag all the way through.EDIT: now thinking crafting the melon battery by placing a wire on top of a melon block like you were crafting a golem

note: all numbers are subject to change with constructive criticism

p.s. can some one direct me to a good way to display recipes on the forum?

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.
    and remember kids "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF JOKES!"

• first of you did ok on presenting your idea, however gunpowder does not seem like a good idea. sounds more like your trying to make "Metal-Storm" ammunition then a battery, lol. also 1 gunpowder it equal to 1 coal dust and 1.25 redstone dust. which would make it alittle more expensive in the end.

also a "lemon battery"? first off how are you "growing" iron and gold? if your refering to harvesting via Mob drops then it's faster just to go dig for gold or use UUM to make gold. also you cannot harvest Melon Blocks cause when you destroy them you get melon slices, unless maybe you use silk touch, not sure about that one. also their used to be Lemon Batteries LONG LONG ago like in ancient egypt using Lemon juice and a copper tube and some other stuff, but the basic concept was the copper used the acidity and high PH to create energy from the reactive hydrogen in the lemon juice, this produced about as much as a AA battery in real life for every 20 "1 gallon" lemon batteries. so it seems alittle over exaggerated if you could even harvest the melon blocks in the first place.

the only alternative is basically you place an uninsulated Copper Cable ontop of a grown Melon and it would turn into a Melon Battery, like how you make snow golems, that would instantly and basically contain 10,000EUs at .25EU/t for a small instant "renewable" resource that you can use for small amount of power near the start of the game. maybe this could be inplimented into the Crop Analyzer system to make and grow more acidic Melon's for stronger batteries, like one that would contain 2million EUs and output at 32eu/t? this would alteast be a significant reward for growing crops up to the higher tiers

"the more people i kill, the better the chances are that i got the right one" ~Goblin Assassin: MtG

• first of you did ok on presenting your idea, however gunpowder does not seem like a good idea. sounds more like your trying to make "Metal-Storm" ammunition then a battery, lol. also 1 gunpowder it equal to 1 coal dust and 1.25 redstone dust. which would make it alittle more expensive in the end.

using gunpowder for batteries should be slightly more expensive the advantage is you can harvest creepers for power and also have access to power in more redstone starved places(like in a cave with no crafting table your looking for redstone but your on layer 30 and all you can find is copper and creepers)

also a "lemon battery"? first off how are you "growing" iron and gold? if your refering to harvesting via Mob drops then it's faster just to go dig for gold or use UUM to make gold. also you cannot harvest Melon Blocks cause when you destroy them you get melon slices, unless maybe you use silk touch, not sure about that one. also their used to be Lemon Batteries LONG LONG ago like in ancient egypt using Lemon juice and a copper tube and some other stuff, but the basic concept was the copper used the acidity and high PH to create energy from the reactive hydrogen in the lemon juice, this produced about as much as a AA battery in real life for every 20 "1 gallon" lemon batteries. so it seems alittle over exaggerated if you could even harvest the melon blocks in the first place.

ic2 agriculture can grow iron and gold dusts. you can make melon blocks in the crafting grid out of 9 melon slices. the out put rate is irrelevant I chose 5eu/t for lag reasons. I assume eu is not the same as real world electricity so my logic behind melons is that the seeds are found below ground in mine shafts and they are colored red on the inside maybe they have trace amounts of redstone in them.

the only alternative is basically you place an uninsulated Copper Cable ontop of a grown Melon and it would turn into a Melon Battery, like how you make snow golems, that would instantly and basically contain 10,000EUs at .25EU/t for a small instant "renewable" resource that you can use for small amount of power near the start of the game. maybe this could be inplimented into the Crop Analyzer system to make and grow more acidic Melon's for stronger batteries, like one that would contain 2million EUs and output at 32eu/t?

not a bad idea with the golem style construction but you still need to go spelunking for the seeds or breed some melons with agriculture so its not exactly a day one option it would be easier to make a gunpowder battery on your first day.

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.

• Melon battery? Good idea. You can already craft 9 slices to one melon. Uninsulated cable above melon is good idea. But can be craftable as jack lantern.
    I think IC EU is not electricity, so one electrode would be enough.
    But Crop block do not have full melon. You will need to harvest-craft-place or grow wild melons.

• Melon battery? Good idea. You can already craft 9 slices to one melon. Uninsulated cable above melon is good idea. But can be craftable as jack lantern.
    But Crop block do not have full melon. You will need to harvest-craft-place or grow wild melons.

I've actually managed to get 1, and even 2 Melon Blocks from an IC2 crop plot.

...What? There's no pineapples here.

GENERATION Pineapple: The first pineapple you see, copy it into your sig on any forum and add sqrt(-1) to the generation. Pineapple experiment.

• hmm perhaps any type of wire on top makes melon battery golem style? i'm thinking MacGyver power

just don;t grow the melons in a Crop Block if you want a straight up melon block :)

"the more people i kill, the better the chances are that i got the right one" ~Goblin Assassin: MtG

• just don;t grow the melons in a Crop Block if you want a straight up melon block :)

you can craft melon blocks and melon crops sometimes drop melon blocks

• interesting, i didn;t know that they added that recipie into MC, and sadly i have not had the previledge of tampering with crops yet, waiting for MC1.2.3 compatability

• here is another idea. a fly wheel

the basic idea is its a battery that can theoretically absorb an unlimited amount or EU, but the EU will begin to discharge if it is idle(no eu coming in) and the more eu that is pumped in the more of a chance there is for the flywheel to explode(class 1 explosion like a ghast can only explode when gaining eu above a certain point(5000 eu?)). the eu/t should be relative to how much is stored

there would be two versions

one that is crafted by making a circle of smooth stone slabs with wires in the corners
    and another which is crafted the same but there is a piece of redstone in the middle. this version will halt the discharge at 5000eu

the fly wheel can be worn like a chest piece and will reduce damage like batpaks already do but each time it does there is a chance for explosion if charged past a certain point(5000 eu?).

• Official Post

Battery out of Gunpowder? Hmmm, sounds like you want a nondestructive use for it unlike you really want magnetical triggered "Metal Storm" ammunition.

Here something, you all should know:

Theres more than one recipe for Superfuel, based on Gunpowder, yes Gunpowder, really.
    This Thread in the Engineeringsection could be very intressting for you.
    It's Spoilered if you don't want the information...

Fruitbatteries? Burning Fruits is more effective!

• I've lurked around here long enough to already know about the super fuel already

basically all this stuff is redstone free energy (I don't like spelunking (I can handle getting lost and monsters separately but not at the same time(that and caves are filled with creepy noises)) and shaft mining almost always seems to end in spelunking for me as a try to reach the layers redstone is found) so when I get redstone I want to be able to stretch it pretty far especially early game. think about it in your first 2 days you could find a creeper, a rubber tree, and a cliff side copper ore to power your bootstrapping equipment with. the melon battery idea I got from a blutrisity-EU crossover mod that eloraam went out of her way to shutdown and I personally though it was clever(you can't burn melon slices directly(not sure about making melon biofuel though)). the fly wheel idea is more an experiment I saw that powerful but expensive generally doesn't fly here so I decided to try some thing cheap and dangerous

• I've lurked around here long enough to already know about the super fuel already

basically all this stuff is redstone free energy (I don't like spelunking (I can handle getting lost and monsters separately but not at the same time(that and caves are filled with creepy noises)) and shaft mining almost always seems to end in spelunking for me as a try to reach the layers redstone is found) so when I get redstone I want to be able to stretch it pretty far especially early game. think about it in your first 2 days you could find a creeper, a rubber tree, and a cliff side copper ore to power your bootstrapping equipment with. the melon battery idea I got from a blutrisity-EU crossover mod that eloraam went out of her way to shutdown and I personally though it was clever(you can't burn melon slices directly(not sure about making melon biofuel though)). the fly wheel idea is more an experiment I saw that powerful but expensive generally doesn't fly here so I decided to try some thing cheap and dangerous

why not mine with a Mining Laser and LapPack? :D then it's more like playing minecraft and an FPS at the same time. also if the laser if set for long range you can shoot through thin walls and still one shot anything.

• why not mine with a Mining Laser and LapPack? :D then it's more like playing minecraft and an FPS at the same time. also if the laser if set for long range you can shoot through thin walls and still one shot anything.

how do you think i mine towards end game? my problem is when i start a new world it takes a while for me to get started with industrial craft cause you have to make that first trip to bottom with nothing more than a crude pick and your wits for your lapiz and gold and stuff(not so much diamonds I save all my coal for that. a stack of coal is a diamond after all) come to think of why not have a redstone equivalent to industrial diamonds?

so aside from my reason for suggesting them do you actually have a problem with these ideas?

• how do you think i mine towards end game? my problem is when i start a new world it takes a while for me to get started with industrial craft cause you have to make that first trip to bottom with nothing more than a crude pick and your wits for your lapiz and gold and stuff(not so much diamonds I save all my coal for that. a stack of coal is a diamond after all) come to think of why not have a redstone equivalent to industrial diamonds?

so aside from my reason for suggesting them do you actually have a problem with these ideas?

when you start at the begining, just make plenty of torches and use the Diamond Sifting technique commonly used by all and avoid caves, this will prevent your "defending yourself" portion from mining.

secondly, with plenty of practice of slaying mobs and pushing into a mob while beating them in the face with proper timing prevents you from ever taking damage, apart from the occassional skele arrow.

i do agree with the redstone diamon idea although i'd probly prefer to compress them directly into Energy Crystals, instead of diamonds.

back to the OP: i guess i'm for your ideas although it's unlikely i'd ever use them, unless we could Cross Breed and Selectively Breed these Melons to make better Melon Batteries potentially leading to a alternative to solar panels :p like my Amendmant of your idea and being able to cross them till you can make them into a 2-3 million EU single use-battery that outputs at 32eu/t

• lets see what would be need for industrial redstone? well first you need something red so throw in some rose dye then you need some thing sorta living i guess (SACRIFICE A PIG! jk) mabey throw in some apples(also red) or some of those magical undead bones(heck redstone probably reanimated them in the first place) now it needs some thing earthy more coal? or maybe copper for conductivity? and then how do you put it all together? any thoughts?

• lets see what would be need for industrial redstone? well first you need something red so throw in some rose dye then you need some thing sorta living i guess (SACRIFICE A PIG! jk) mabey throw in some apples(also red) or some of those magical undead bones(heck redstone probably reanimated them in the first place) now it needs some thing earthy more coal? or maybe copper for conductivity? and then how do you put it all together? any thoughts?

9 redstone to make a Redstone Ball, then 4 restone balls to make a Redstone Clump. then 4 Redstone Clumps and 2 uninsulated HV-wires to make a Incomplete Energy clump, then compressed to make an energy crystal? :D

9*4=36, 36*4=144, 144/4=36, so it's only take 36 Redstone ORES found to make one.

• i'm thinking making redstone not energy crystals (artificial red stone + artificial diamond = artificial energy crystal)

hmm you could cook red wool to make redash then put 8 of them in a crafting table with a glass bottle to make redwater then back in the furnace to cook it down to redpaste and then put 8 red pastes around a copper ore block to make a redplastered block and then in the furnace one last time the molten copper ore will wick the redpaste inside and mix with it and out pops a redore block which you proceed to bash into dust with your pickaxe.

• i'm thinking making redstone not energy crystals

oh ok, you started off talking about being able to make a diamond out of redstone, or so i thought, so you kinda flopped around there. yeah that wouldn't be to bad, or you could just take copper, cobble, and Red Dye to make Red Stones, and then Macerate it into redstone dust. :p

• with my idea it takes a stack of dye and a stack of wool to make like 5 dusts. do you think that's balanced or should we go for easier(when i have this worked out im going to post it in its own thread)