[Suggestionquestion] Spout?

• I'll admit that I'm a noob in this department, but anyway:

As far as I can tell, making IC2 a Spout plugin would be perfect. Spout can have custom blocks with custom properties, that are automagically downloaded to the client. The best example I can find of it is MoreMaterials, which lets every server admin create their own blocks. http://forums.spout.org/thread…ems-spn-737-cb-1-1-r4.70/

Anyway, just a humble suggestion from someone who doesn't really know what he's talking about :P, Just something to consider.

• e.g. use bukkit? :D go go

"the more people i kill, the better the chances are that i got the right one" ~Goblin Assassin: MtG

• spout is opensource some one else can pick it up but its bus factor(number of devs that can be hit by a bus before the project dies) probably isn't very strong at the moment

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.
    and remember kids "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF JOKES!"

• Spout is alive and well. They've almost got a working server that is completely seperate from bukkit. It's bukkit that just had it's main force hired away.

• And then, soon bukkit will be the main kit in which multiplayer mods will base themselves, aka official minecraft API. (Once again speaking from my little knowledge about the issue)

No, quite the opposite. Due to licensing, Mojang isn't legally allowed to use anything from the bukkit project. They will start completely from scratch. Spout does a ton of things that Bukkit never even dreamed of doing. It will take quite a lot of time for the official API to get close to what Bukkit did, and even longer until it could get to be as awesome as spout.

• he has a point open source licenses typically say something like "stuff directly descended from or related to must also be under an opensource licence" so the mod api the bukkit team is working on is most definitively not going to be bukkit.

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.

• he has a point open source licenses typically say something like "stuff directly descended from or related to must also be under an opensource licence" so the mod api the bukkit team is working on is most definitively not going to be bukkit.

It's not a case of "most definitively", "typically", or "99.999% chance" or whatnot, the bukkit team has said themselves "Everything will be rewritten", http://forums.bukkit.org/threa…62489/page-10#post-990253

• IMEL(in my english language) most definitively means 110%

• Then again mojang hired the bukkit team most likely to help them develop something SIMILAR like bukkit to work as the official mod api for multiplayer mods. Since they are doing something similar and entirely new, they wont be bound by the open source license bukkit has.

Otherwise i dont know wtf mojang hired the bukkit team in the first place.

• So you want the IC2 devs to totally recode their mod to accommodate for this?

I can see someone going 'Hey, I know spout better then my own bedroom, can I make a 'port'?'-

But I highly doubt Al, etc, would do it. Dunno if they'd allow it either.

...What? There's no pineapples here.

GENERATION Pineapple: The first pineapple you see, copy it into your sig on any forum and add sqrt(-1) to the generation. Pineapple experiment.

• Makes me wonder if IC2 team its actually aware of that port.

Seems abandoned, though.

I do not like their forums. It might be a good idea to bring this to Al's attention. (Or, just keep talking gibberish until he slaps us and notices it.)

...What? There's no pineapples here.

GENERATION Pineapple: The first pineapple you see, copy it into your sig on any forum and add sqrt(-1) to the generation. Pineapple experiment.

• So you want the IC2 devs to totally recode their mod to accommodate for this?

I openly admit that I don't know much about the differences between spout plugin coding and mcloader/forge coding, I just wanted to know if it's a possibility that's being looked at, rather than just being speculated by onlookers.

PS: Yes, i would like the IC2 devs to make a spout plugin for IC2, but I have no clue if it's feasible to ask them to do so.

edit: derp spelling, I'm going to sleep before i make it worse.