[Suggestion] Fusion Reactor (Rocket Science mod or even vanilla IC2) :)

• Hi

I want to show you an idea I had, when running some fusion reactors with the rocket science mod on my server. Maybe this has already been mentioned, but I still want to show it to you.

First thing is, that the way it functions is a bit to simple (imo), how about setting the reactor up like the nuclear reactor in IC2, but with a bigger energy output and different components and setups? This option would also require the cooling of the reactor of course, but would also make it more variable in the way you can run it

Running the reactor could look like this:

The neibour tritium and deuterium cell are considered "connected" and performing the fusion reaction producing energy. The right setup with the 4 deuterium-cells will produce much more energy (and heat!) but the central tritium cell will also deplete 4 times faster then the surrounding cells (fusion works at a 1:1 ratio ) The surrounding lithium cells are bred into He3-tritium cells, which can be put in the isotope separator to get a new tritium cell Tritium of course breeds a lithium cell faster then deuterium does.

You can also use deuterium cells only, but this will be much less efficient... on the other side, a tritium-tritium-fusion wont work.

Every used (and depleted) deuterium cell also has a small chance (lets say 1/4) to change into a half-tritium cell which can be crafted in a full one. (<-- an extra type of cell is needed since the reactor should stop working, when a cycle is done)

Some things should still be thought of, like the heat management (since fusion reactions need a LOT of heat). The same cooling elements like in the nuclear reactors could be used for the heat-management, but the reactor would still need a basic heat to produce energy... or the reactor could get a heat-limit which must be reached to get the maximum energy output of the cells, by placing heating elements inside the reactor instead of cooling ones (which would also require to make the reactor invincible to heat damage). Since fusion reactions in normal conditions require around 150 million degrees, the second way would be the best i think (like placing heating rods and heating distributors inside to reach a very high temperatures). This would force players to find the best way between puting energy-producing cells or heat-producing elements inside the reactor for a maximum output

The lifetime of the cells must be increased of course (maybe like an hour or two) and they also shouldn't be stackable anymore since they would need a lifebar like uranium cells.

Since the code for running a reactor is already inside of IC2, it should be possible to add something like this :)

What do you think of this idea?

Greetings P.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english

• you need to put this in the oppropriate forum, in my opinion this belongs in rocketscience, not IC2.

"the more people i kill, the better the chances are that i got the right one" ~Goblin Assassin: MtG

• yup :(

"the more people i kill, the better the chances are that i got the right one" ~Goblin Assassin: MtG

• Already posted this in the rocketscience thread, without any reactions... thats why I reposted it here.

Alblaka should implement this (or something similar) or at least increase the output of the nuclear reactors (or implement additional components). The way thinks work atm. only few people are using nuclear power as an energy source... which sucks :P

• more people use it then you may think, atleast for a power boost. they just don;t use it as their main form because they are lazy, and you do realize you can get CASUC Reactors to safely output like 1,800EU/t? not really sure if "more effective is neccissary, just make a second one :p and you'll have more UUM then you'll ever need.

• The safe reactors I made so far only output 100 EU/t (effectively). And running a reactor with ice or as a Mark III or IV is no option for me, since I dont want to blow up my facilities on my server.

Spamming solar panels also isnt a solution (server load). One good way could be to find a way to pump lava from the nether to geothermal generators in the normal world, without requirering someone to stay in the nether :P

The fusion energy would be a nice next tier in energy production, if implemented in a similar way like the nuclear reactor.

• The safe reactors I made so far only output 100 EU/t (effectively). And running a reactor with ice or as a Mark III or IV is no option for me, since I dont want to blow up my facilities on my server.

Spamming solar panels also isnt a solution (server load). One good way could be to find a way to pump lava from the nether to geothermal generators in the normal world, without requirering someone to stay in the nether :P

The fusion energy would be a nice next tier in energy production, if implemented in a similar way like the nuclear reactor.

i'm pretty sure i made a safe reactor that output more then that, it could output a total of 28,million EUs using 6 cells and would require a cooldown period but was safe, so i ran 4 Reactors and rotated them so that i always had 2 running.

also ice reactors are always an "option" you just don;t want to risk it :) you can easier make a reactor with 2 collumns of ice blocks and the rest a properly set up reactor and just come by and refil the ice every 30 minutes to an hour for ALOT more EU output. or if you have a mod that has pipes like BC then you can do what i call a "Coolant Overflow" system where you send way more ice through pipes then would ever be needed to cool your reacter and have the excess go back to boxes. that way it's 100% safe and have back up safety messures.

if you need more energy it's way more effective to make an addition reactor then 180+ solar panels. not to mention it's alot less strain on the server. also! an idea i had with reactors is to run like 12 of them that would output about 500EU/t and set them up on a really slow Redstone Clock that circles around turning the reactors on and off, this would allow me to control them and keep 1 or 2 of them on in rotation at ALL times, basically this would turn them on and off at a ratio of 1:6 or 1:12, that way i could make them all provide power to my house effectively and stay cool without exploding, not to mention this would basically allow them to keep charging my house for 12 or 24 hours before needing to be refilled.

• meh, honostly i've never tampered with the rocket mod or fission so Sure, go ahead and add this, i'd liek to see what the hype is all about i guess while i refrain from downloading several mods.

• while i'm not sure about this idea I think there needs to be a IC2 vanilla equivalent CASUC reactors in industrial crafts iconic efficient fashion.

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.
    and remember kids "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF JOKES!"

• while i'm not sure about this idea I think there needs to be a IC2 vanilla equivalent CASUC reactors in industrial crafts iconic efficient fashion.

there is, you simply put a storage chest next to the reactor with a pump and compressors next to it and make your ice then pile it into the chest, then manually feed it in. IC2 is not focused on automated function and CASUC Reactors weren't originally intended i'm sure.

• there is, you simply put a storage chest next to the reactor with a pump and compressors next to it and make your ice then pile it into the chest, then manually feed it in. IC2 is not focused on automated function and CASUC Reactors weren't originally intended i'm sure.

if CASUC was not intended, then why add single use coolants anyway? -.-
    if there are single's, why not design an system that continously pumps them in

CASUC is safe, if u know what ur doing

right, time to get serious...
    i wil be offline for weeks and possibly months at an time. if you have anything to add to an post i made, and would like me to know. you are welcome to pm me, and i wil reply as soon as i am able to do so.

• Official Post

if CASUC was not intended, then why add single use coolants anyway? -.-
    if there are single's, why not design an system that continously pumps them in

CASUC is safe, if u know what ur doing

Even not if you are know what you are doing. Theres a bug that destructed my house with a waterbucketcasuc that was SWITCHED OFF VIA REDSTONE. Whats happened? Oh yes, it has still produced heat even if it was switched OFF. This happens sometimes if you are loading a game. I've avoided a second selfmade Tschernobyl only, because the second reactor has smolten the Redstonecircuit and it was beginning to make a sound that i've heared. In both cases the reactor was itself emmiting a redstonesignal, because of a Repeater/Togglelatch directly pointing to the core.

Since then i'm only using Ice-Golem-CASUCs with a complicated RP-Redstonecomputersystem and a Redstonedust that goes to a Chamber. Oh and its much more effective.

• Since this isnt leading anywhere but another discussion how to run a nuclear generator we can close this thread :/

:( :(

well i already agreed with you that it would be ok with me and probbably not a bad idea to add this, more then likely as the final form of EU generation. but i was giving you suggestions as to what you could do in the mean time until an even more advanced energy system is implemented.

• Thanks for your suggestions, but I also have a small bug on my reactors: Every time I log of and back on my server, the reactors are still running but dont output any EUs :/

If this would finally get fixed (already have this but since 1.42) I can use my reactors and think of a different setup :)

• hmm, i'm still using MC1.0.0 and the IC2 version for it (can;t remember at the moment) but i don;t think i have that problem, that is apparently a bug, if you're using a more recent version then i'd report it.... or never log out :D lol

• I think this should be implemented. It's completely unlike any other fusion reactor suggestion, and it's also a lot different from the standard nuclear reactor, in that many types of fuel are needed/can be used.

EDIT: also, heat would be a good thing here. How about having a very high heat dissipation, so the challenge woul be to keep it hot, instead of keeping it from overheating.

The IC2 forums could really use a lot more of [REDACTED], [DATA EXPUNGED] and ████████.

I'm in a so called "after-school". It's freaking fantastic and nowhere near as boring as normal school!