[Suggestion] Nuclear Reactor

• Do you think we should have something like this? 23

1. Yes (5) 22%
    2. No (14) 61%
    3. Maybe (4) 17%

The nuclear reactor in IndustrialCraft2 is way too easy to be able to get energy, and you don't even have to monitor it. I think that the reactors should be harder to get energy and you would make it have to have someone constantly be watching it. Here is an example of how I think the reactors interface should look. Here is the URL for this game, props for the person who was able to get this game going, so many different possibilities...
    http://esa21.kennesaw.edu/activities/nukeenergy/nuke.htm

• The current reactors can range from very hard to manage to very easy to manage. How hard it is to manage is very dependent on how much energy you want. Some people like having easy energy so that they can do other things, while some other people like watching a reactor 24/7, and both play styles can be fulfilled with the current system. While i do like your UI, I don't think that reactors need to be harder to manage than the operator wants them to be. Go build a class five reactor with manual shut offs if you want difficult lol.

EDIT:

An idea you may like is instead of having a large explosion, leaving behind a mess is to have a slightly smaller explosion, but also flood the area with deadly radiation

• ok lets get started picking this apart
    1. you did not follow the proper suggestion posting format (especially using the word [suggestion] in the title)
    2. you offered no features that gives players better or at least different options
    3. you don't know what your talking about
    lets focus on point 3 shall we. so here is from news for you nuclear is not overpowered(in fact it maybe underpowered) it runs on a powerful but expensive model attempts to get better value out of it leads to increased danger. few people use reactors cause they think reactors are dangerous and instead spam solar panels, exploit bucket fed watermills, or pump nether magma to name a few over powered power sources available all for cheaper and less baby sitting than even a 100% safe nuclear reactor. reactors don't need a nerf they need a buff in the form of official fail-safes(IRL reactors have fai-lsafes to the point take if every one disappeared one day there wouldn't be rampant meltdowns) and cheaper ways to get started in nuclear power.

now lets talk about point 2 namely how to make a good suggestion. in 90% of cases the last thing you should ever do is walk in (especially on your second post in most forums) and say "things are to easy they need to be harder lets make this part harder with out adding anything to the functionality of the game in fact lets make it look like another that i like to play" a better idea would have been "can we add some auto radiation beams for base defense? we can in exchange make nukes harder to use so its not over powered" in this example we add a different way to use nuclear power and we open the plausibility of nerfing the nuclear reactors if people find the idea to overpowered.

now you are entitled to your opinion and your enthusiasm for the mod is applauded. I look forward to seeing what you think should be added to IC2.

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.
    and remember kids "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF JOKES!"

• Let's just say the Devs want to make nuclear harder. How would they o about it? You see, if you give an idea, please be ready to back up your suggestion with valid points, such as practical ways of having to monitor your reactor, why the reactor is overpowered, and suggesting new ways of balancing the current system. I personally believe reactors are pretty balanced, as they do take up quite a large amount of space, depending on your cooling and control area, as well as have a relatively balanced power output (I wouldn't say low output, as they were recently buffed.) Just keep in mind that you are coming up with the ideas, you want the devs to do as little speculating as possible, and leave them to make the final decisions on a wide variety of suggestions. Just my opinion

I5 2500K | 4GB Cosair Vengence | Radeon 6850 | Rosewill 600w PSU | GigaByte Z68MA | CM Elite 311 | Dell 19" 720p (upgrading soon!)| Hitachi 500 GB 7200 HDD | LG 24X |Windows 7 (Genuine!)
    Alblaka in a Lightning Rod suggestion thread...[/size]

• I'm sorry this is my first post. But even a mark 2 can have an output of 28,000,000 and you never have to worry about it or do anything to it during its cycle you just have to the power going somewhere. That is a lot of power for just letting it sit and do nothing. Yes, once you get up to higher marks they do become harder. With a couple other mods though you can set up a really good emergency shutoff system. These can be very complicated and have many different fail safes just in case one of the shutoff switches doesn't work. It was just a suggestion... I'm just saying that 28,000,000 EU is quite a lot of energy for doing nothing. You know what i mean?

:Reactor: :Reactor:

• have to have someone constantly be watching it.

No. This is not fun. This would make the reactor useless to even more people then it is now.

Now: Needs good planning, and if set up really well you can run even the most dangerous ones safely.

With this: 5 hours of watching a reactor, pressing a few buttons... When did this game get so boring?

...What? There's no pineapples here.

GENERATION Pineapple: The first pineapple you see, copy it into your sig on any forum and add sqrt(-1) to the generation. Pineapple experiment.

• ok first off using intentionally enlarged text just digs yourself a deeper hole

second show me this mk2 that out puts 28million eu. how much does it cost? and how much would it cost to store all that power?how many solar panel could you make for the same cost? over the 2 hours that a rector would run how much power do those solar panels turn out. if you say any thing before doing all this math and coming back with the result I will assume you are not serious and are just trolling us.

third those fail safes don't work they just delay the inevitable. look at direwolf20's lets play his latest nuclear reactor in his lets play series. it exploded despite being cooled by powerful equivalent exchange items and using an addon made for shutting off the reactor before it got to hot.

and as for doing nothing to get 28million eu have you ever actually built a reactor?

don't force your masochistic ways on all of us if you want things harder for yourself then grab your self a normal generator, a detector cable, some redstone, a stack of tnt, and your imagination.

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.
    and remember kids "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF JOKES!"

• don't force your masochistic ways on all of us if you want things harder for yourself then grab your self a normal generator, a detector cable, some redstone, a stack of tnt, and your imagination.

I like this.

And op, you still have yet to prove that reactors are overpowered, and have yet to give solutions to the problem, besides "sitting and pushing buttons" or something to that effect.

I5 2500K | 4GB Cosair Vengence | Radeon 6850 | Rosewill 600w PSU | GigaByte Z68MA | CM Elite 311 | Dell 19" 720p (upgrading soon!)| Hitachi 500 GB 7200 HDD | LG 24X |Windows 7 (Genuine!)

• Shouting OP is basically the video game equivalent of shouting 'racist' or 'queer'... It's quite demoralizing to generalize a group that uses said options in a game as inherently lazy and skill-less as such (see the example flame-war over Solar Panels)...

Reactors are by no means cheap, and a mistake with one comes with a cost greater than the investment you initially used... I highly doubt there is anything OP about them (except for CASUC's, ofc, lol)

Would anyone like to try a Slowpoke Tail?! Only 1 Million Yen!

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

Every Mod Author, in existence. And yet, you STILL say otherwise.

• just setting up a proper reactor takes like 2 stacks of each mineral but gold and the nuclear reactor he is refering to reaquires all 6 chambers, water flood coolant, and have a full cycle/cooldown time of almost 5 hours. that 28mill in 5 hours, which is only like 77 eu/t average over that time, and that is IF (big IF) your server is still able to handle every single calculaion, there are usually 20 ticks per second but if a server starts getting bogged down due to Buildcraft items in pipes or to many IC2 solar panels then you can get as low as 8ticks per second, drestically reducing your nuclear reactor to basically 32 eu/t. that's the same amount of energy as 3-8 geothermals set up in the nether and those last for days if not a couple weeks if your lucky generating hundreds of milions of EUs, maybe even a couple billion if you were lucky enough to get a huge lava ocean that's like 10 deep which i've had happen on a few maps. nuclear reactors are by no means over powered and keeping in mind that a decent mark2.1-3 reactor has such a long cooldown time and relatively high maintenace, alot of people tend to stick with GeoThermals and Solars.

"the more people i kill, the better the chances are that i got the right one" ~Goblin Assassin: MtG

• Reactors are by no means cheap, and a mistake with one comes with a cost greater than the investment you initially used... I highly doubt there is anything OP about them (except for CASUC's, ofc, lol)

And how many on these forums even attempt a CASUC, let alone can build a stable one? Not many. It's an incredible resource hog, as well as quite a bit of mental power must be dumped into it.

• And how many on these forums even attempt a CASUC, let alone can build a stable one? Not many. It's an incredible resource hog, as well as quite a bit of mental power must be dumped into it.

lol, not to mention like 20-40% of your EUs goes into making your ice. these are horribly materials inefficient, i spent like 6 hours at work yesterday with the reactor planner and a calculator doing calculations trying to find the absolute best set-up on my new server and i think it's going to be 5 reactors running on am old fasioned Redstone 5-Clock, this way i can have 5 6chamber Mark2-3 reactors power my house, providing 140million EUs every 5 hours. fairly resource heavy off the start but this is the most EU efficient design i could think of. the safest and most EU efficient design i could think of is basically the exactly same thing but using 12 reactors with 6 chamber...... that'll be a while :p

Edit: P.S. a Stable CASUC Reactor is actually very easy to make if your just going for EU production. you just make what is basically a Ice Block Flood Bath System using BC Pipes to attempt input of WAY more ice then needed. if you'd like a video i could easily provide one via youtube.

"the more people i kill, the better the chances are that i got the right one" ~Goblin Assassin: MtG

• An idea you may like is instead of having a large explosion, leaving behind a mess is to have a slightly smaller explosion, but also flood the area with deadly radiation

alblaka already flat out said no to radiation and all similar sugguestions.

• here is a much better layout,

http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…7pwrzgfogcag94oty665xwjsw

if you put 1 stack of ice in each empty slot you have virtually 0 cooldown time.

however i still don;t see how this proves your point in any way.

• And how many on these forums even attempt a CASUC, let alone can build a stable one? Not many. It's an incredible resource hog, as well as quite a bit of mental power must be dumped into it.

It was a joke... unlike some assholes, you don't have to take me so seriously... Besides, unless you can dummy dump loads of Ice into a reactor and not have to think about it (*whistles*), even CASUC's can be a challenge...

The only time I fiddle with them is in test settings... don't really trust them on legit builds, and usually don't need that much power in my setups due to how resourceful I can be when it comes to managing every ounce of EU I have...

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

• Umm... If you look at mine there is way better stats... Mine has a 69 minute cool down, yours has 119 minute cool down. Mine has an output of 28,000,000 million eu and yours has 24,000,000.

Here is the number of resources compared to mine:

Yours Mine

Copper 391 292
    Tin 165 147
    Bronze 138 122
    Iron 244 217
    Rubber 205 139
    Redstone 206 140
    Glowstone 68 46
    Lapis Lazuli 68 46

I'm just guessing that since you guys all have industrial craft2, you guys at least have other mods like buildcraft. In which its not that hard to be able to find and spare 11 diamonds and be able to have pretty much more ores than you are able to need. So I still don't understand as to why its so hard to get this much material, especially if you have ic2, buildcraft, or any other mods (redpower, ee, and forestry). Comapred to yours mine is way better than yours... :Reactor: :Reactor: :Reactor: :Reactor: :Reactor: :Reactor:

Comapred to yours mine is way better than yours

Well, that may be true, it's still public indecency... and I highly suggest that you put your pants back on before you get in trouble...