[Suggestion] - Reinforced Construction Foam

• Hey, peoples!

This idea came from a side tangent I had in Cidercraft's Iron Scaffold Thread. During the course of the topic, someone suggested having the iron scaffolds being able to be covered in construction foam, and this gave me the title idea.

With suggestions from Snoochy and others, the idea came forward to allow IC2's Iron Fencing to act like rebar does for concrete in Real Life(tm) - it would help strengthen the material for structural purposes. Obviously, for balance (and to avoid obsolescence completely), it wouldn't be quite as strong as reinforced stone, but it would be a cheaper alternative (in addition to being quicker to place) than r-stone. I can't tell you how mind-numbingly tedious it was to make a 4-block thick "coffin" of r-stone for the first nuclear reactor I ever made (I must have gone through 100 stacks of the stuff, if not more). Now I usually just do 2 layers, but it still requires an incredible amount of material (and time, even with Buildcraft and logistics pipes helping) to make.

Reinforced CF would obviously have the drawback of needing direct exposure to sunlight before it could harden, but that has the obvious fix of simply cutting away a hole for the mold if the roof's just a few meters underground - it obviously wouldn't be very practical if you were at the bedrock layer, though, and it wouldn't work in the Nether, as there's no light to begin with!

So, with that said, what do you guys think?

• what about mixing the foam with sand like normal foam for an instant harden? how about placing the reinforcement(iron scaffold?) in the foam after it has been placed (but not hardened yet)?

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.
    and remember kids "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF JOKES!"

• i was saying that we should be able to use regular plain old Iron Bars from Vanilla MC and spray foam onto it and have it "eat" the iron bars like it does with wooden scaffold but would not refund the iron bars. this would then harden like normal but would have a slight different texture change, maybe have the iron looking bars around it like Reinforced glass does. then upon destroying the Reinforced CFoam Block, you would get back your 1 Iron Bar.

"the more people i kill, the better the chances are that i got the right one" ~Goblin Assassin: MtG

• iron bars sound good iron scaffolds are for catwalks not molds

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.

• Like the IronBar concept. But be advised, this would definitely require 2, if not more blockIDs... Probably has to wait until we can savely move to the full 4k range.

I think with 2 should be enough (The Unhardened CF+Iron Bar block and the Reinforced CF block).

Unless you want to add another step to it or something (Dont exactly know full well the limitations of Metablocking or w/e eloraam calls it XD)

• I would like to see an iridium enforced CF block for Nuclear explosion resistance :D

While Minecraft and IC2 have a VERY tenuous grasp of reality as-is, Iridium is only alloyed with metals for use in high heat environments - and ONLY metals, at that. It would have little to no effect on how strong a material would be.

Bah, but I'm taking the fun out of the game with my realistic input. Blame the wiki article for this.

Anydangway, Al, I thought the 4000+ block IDs were already part of MC with the 1.2.3. update. Was I misinformed?

Also, Iron Bars, Iron Fences - doesn't matter, it'd get the point across all the same (though now that I think about it, Iron Bars would probably be more in line with Real Life(tm)).

• your realism is easy to solve

iridium+[insert underutilized magical vanilla item here]= unobtainium
    them just mix with construction foam to make it on subject and TADA! you have a thin walled nuke proof house :D

edit: idea make the reinforced CF work with the magnitizer!

• Official Post

Anydangway, Al, I thought the 4000+ block IDs were already part of MC with the 1.2.3. update. Was I misinformed?

The base code for 4k blockIDs is in since 1.1, but so far it's still not functional.
    There are a few community-based fixes for it, but as long as they don't work by default, I would rather like not to use them.

• yeah your right Mike, IC2 and MC are alittle to realistic to use iridium as an indistrucable blast proof material. just like how we can teleport players and animals from one place to another, and how we can fabricate a diamond out of 9 million "volts" of energy, and how coal burns forever when used in tiny amounts. and how drinking Heated Slimy Mushroom Water allows you to swim in magma with or without any armor, so yeah i think you might be right. explosive proof iridium is asking to much. although, don't alot of Bullet Proof Vests in real life use Lead which is ALOT denser and heavier then steel, but they use it because of it's density, and iridium is the second densest material on the planet? yeah that sounds pretty illogical to me.

(warning the above statement might be lathered in copious amounts of sarcasm and false love)

i'd stick with iron bars, it sounds alittle more "realistic" although fences are alittle cheaper is i remember right :D

"the more people i kill, the better the chances are that i got the right one" ~Goblin Assassin: MtG

• -snippity-

That made me grin like an idiot. Nothing like a little humor to start your day! XP

So, Al, just in case we aren't on the same frequency, it was my intention that the iron bars could work like wooden scaffolding as it does now with a CF sprayer - make the desired shape and the CF will "fill" the mold, as it were.

• no problem Warlord_Mike, lol. also the "using iron bars like Scaffold" was my general thoughts as to how it would work as well. the MAIN problem i have with scaffold is the ceiling parts, cause when your sparying, if your foan nicks the support column, then it causes all the incomplete parts of scaffold to fall to the ground, then you have to go back and make even more support columns that you have to clean up later. Iron Bars/Iron Fences would not have this problem.

Using lead in helmets sounds a bit weird. I mean dont they want the helmets and armor to be lightweight and mobile while still offering protection? Where did you get that from?

the bullet proof armor these days is generaly made from ceramics and carbon fibers, basically a Nano-Helm with hardened clay plates. however, back before they were making kevlar bulletproof products, all they had was a vest made from bars of like 1-2 inch thick lead, these usually weighed like 60-80 pounds but were very cabaple of stopping bullet back when they were in mass production.

• Bumped for great justice! I have some additional thoughts on RCF and its mechanics.

First off, like ordinary Construction Foam, RCF would need to be directly exposed to sunlight. However, since iron bars make up some of the foam itself, it hardens slightly quicker than ordinary foam (not too much faster - maybe 3-5%, at best).

Destroying RCF only yields Iron Bars - since the foam is likely very brittle when it hardens (like concrete), it's impossible to salvage the foam itself.

Lastly, I think a good durability setting of RCF would be in the neighborhood of 75%-ish of Reinforced Stone/Glass. It'd mean you'd have to add an extra layer of foam to keep that nuclear reactor's meltdown contained, but such is the price of cheaper alternatives.

So, any further thoughts on the matter?

• YEAH! NECROMANCY!
    again +1 this idea

• So, any further thoughts on the matter?

Only one, why Regular CF expulses the Scaffolding too? Makes more sense it dryes around the scaffolding.

Other than that i can give some praise to this idea. (CF is right now my number 1 construction material)

• I kinda like it, except basically make it so that it dries the same way as normal CF, except you place it on iron scaffolds and you don't get them back.

It has become a little stubbly. Implement facial hair growth in IC²? Vision continuously grows more furry until you shave. (approx once every 2 minecraft days ;P)

Steve shaves with his chainsaw.
    Check out Factorio- A game where you build a factory from scratch.

• CF are for TNT-Proof/Quick building ... if you wanna get something Nuke Proof, just use Rienforced Stone ... with Reinforced CF, it would be cheaper I guess (or only, as FenixR suggest, if the ratio Reinforced CF in the craft for the CF Sprayer/ Reinforced CF put is , but in this case I do not see why it's interesting, according it will use one craft more and won't be so much practice to build.
    That's my opinion.

Soon with Molten Salt Reactors, right ? :D
    NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!