suggestion/discussion - Improvement(s) to nuclear reactor components/geothermal Generator

• hello people,

it has been some time since i had an brain worm that needed to be send out into the forums, its due this one got out..

please note: this topic requires you to have an basic understanding of nuclear reactors. or else any post wil not be an adition to the subject at hand..
    this includes an addition to the geothermal generators. (perhaps an upgrade craftable for upgrade slot)

wel, lets begin. i gues everybody knows nuclear fusion creates an vast amount of heat, this heat is tucked away into coolant cells / heat distributors (how i call them)
    the big hastle for me, is that from all the heat we create, only an FRACTION gets used to actualy create energy. all that other heat we just tuck away and dont use, instead we let the reactor cool and so lose all that potential power.

so what i suggest as you might have guesed, is an addition to the Geothermal reactor. the ability to throw in an reactor component and let it cool in there while producing an small amount of energy. (maybe 1 EU/tick to 5 EU/tick)

why did i chose the geothermal reactor for this? wel obviously it uses HEAT from lava to generate its power. yes, it uses HEAT stored in lava. so why should it not be able to use the HEAT stored in reactor components to generate an small amount of power while cooling down the components greatly (im thinking of 1-5 minutes)

the time of power production would be as follows.
    2000 heat, about 0 minutes of generation
    4000 heat, about 2 minutes.
    6000 heat, about 3 minutes.
    8000 heat, about 4 minutes.
    9999 heat (just bellow melting (HAYO!)) 4,5 minutes of power.

this way the damage value of the components would be used to generate power. its sorta like repairing them outside an reactor. by using their heat to generate an small amount of power.

note the 2000 heat components not having any generation time? that is becouse lava, has an heat value of 2000 heat, so in my opinion it should not be able to cool it any more then that.
    also, any component thrown in wil NOT be destroyed, it would simply be cooled down..

now, to allow the geothermal generator to be able to cool down the components there should be an upgrade required, it would be with an recipe like this:
    :Coolant Cell: :Intergrated Heat Dispenser: :Electrolyzed Water Cell:

:Cable: :Advanced Circuit: :Cable:

where :Cable: are gold 2x insulated cables

these upgrades are not stackable since it has the heat disperser inside of it.
    what do you guys think? is this OP of realistic enough to be actualy implemented. or imposible to code?

there has been some time into this, and my inspiration came from the aditional reactor components by rick - the steam turbine component.
    wel, thats all, Fire away! il listen to ur arguments and try to understand why not to add it, FrenixR bring it on! ;)

first edit:
    the discusion so far compressed in an small explaination. like i understood it:
    looks like the discusion is going to an new level. an iditional component. from what i understood this is my conclusion:

instead of taking the components out - then taking the heat.
    we craft an ADITIONAL component which:
    1-cools like coolant cells
    2-cooling kicks in AFTER 2000 heat - what i understood was that they start generating at 2000 heat. so its only fair they start cooling after 2000 heat.
    3-maybe, after each 2000 or X heat, their efficiency is increased by 1 EU/Tick making high risk reactors more worth while to build.
    4-generates 2 EU/Tick at 2000 heat.

any other idea's?

god... i love an good discusion where people can put in their feedback about something. start with 1 and end with 2. an refined product of idea 1 :D

right, time to get serious...
    i wil be offline for weeks and possibly months at an time. if you have anything to add to an post i made, and would like me to know. you are welcome to pm me, and i wil reply as soon as i am able to do so.

• Realistic? Nope.

Afaik Real life Geothermal uses the steam generated when it pumps water into the earth crust to move a turbine to make the energy

I think its exactly the same from nuclear reactors, the make huge amounts of heat to heat water into steam to move big turbines to make energy.

• Realistic? Nope.

Afaik Real life Geothermal uses the steam generated when it pumps water into the earth crust to move a turbine to make the energy

I think its exactly the same from nuclear reactors, the make huge amounts of heat to heat water into steam to move big turbines to make energy.

correct, nuclear reactor superheats watter that is pumped into an turbine, inside the water instantly vaporises (becomes steam) and powers the turbine.

edit:
    link read, conclusion:
    not much to conclude this into, its all down to the fundamental basics of heat being transfered to water. making steam - powering turbine.
    please enlighten me, why is this relevant to the subject?

i wil be offline for weeks and possibly months at an time. if you have anything to add to an post i made, and would like me to know. you are welcome to pm me, and i wil reply as soon as i am able to do so.

• correct, nuclear reactor superheats watter that is pumped into an turbine, inside the water instantly vaporises (becomes steam) and powers the turbine.

- il read ur link, brb -

In a nut, most generators produce energy the same way, the only thing that differs its the way these generators obtain/produce the heat to create steam. Realistically speaking of course.

Minecraft Speaking everything its done through a "ITS MAGIC" process that nobody can really put his finger accurately enough so meh.

EDIT: A third way of saying it, its that placing a geothermal generator inside the nuclear reactors its basically placing an aditional turbine into it.

• correct, all fundamental basics of generating power is just this. BURN - HEAT - TURBINE - POWER
    in this subject, the BURN - HEAT is already pre done by an nuclear gen.
    now, in this subject the we i only wish to use TURBINE - POWER,

it is realistic, u must admit at least that. heat generated in medium X is transfered to medium X to generate power, thats the basic. and exactly what i suggested. i thought this over many times before posting.

also, read my edit on the second post.

edit: placing an geothermal inside an reactor is kinda yea... it doesnt fit :P i plan to ceep this realistic. not magicly.
    second edit: im guesing u are warming up for the killing blow? come on, i dont have all evening, actualy i have... but theres no need to boaster that fact haha

• Killing blow? no need, this kinda crumbled on itself i just needed to give it a little "Help". You will live to post more Stupid ideas in the future.

crunbled on itself? come on haha, as staded in ur signature bad reasoning makes u an asshole, there is definetly some bad reasoning behind ur posts here. im not going on about that...
    and you deciding me to live to post more idea's? hell, if ur ideas are that briliant u have an right to say that. wel enough of that.

im thinking that u cant say anything to rip the life of this suggestion, its valid. admit it, just waiting for some other folks to hear what they have to tell, and answer questions.

now to continue, why exactly do you think this is not posible or realistic? i explained into detail for you, burn something - get heat - get steam - get power. its exactly that, compressed to the verry basics of IC2

i do not see why not, why shoudnt it be added? i agree on myself that making more energy from uranium seems OP, but hey. its heat. un used heat. why not harvest it?

• Like a told you, adding a Geogen can be interpreted as adding a second Turbine to the nuclear reactor, and adding a second turbine DOESN'T necessary mean its going to make it more efficient.

And having bad logic, in the worst case scenario just makes me an idiot not an asshole.

• Why should Al add anything more to reactors when it's already severely underused?

It's complex enough that people have made friggin Apps to allow you to figure out the most optimal reactor that you want to use.

There is no point to add/change the reactor unless a total and complete overhaul is done. Which is a wasted time that they could use to develop other things.

...What? There's no pineapples here.

GENERATION Pineapple: The first pineapple you see, copy it into your sig on any forum and add sqrt(-1) to the generation. Pineapple experiment.

• sorry i didn't read the whole thing but here is a thought how about a reactor component or chamber block that is used to turn cobble and stone into lava? kinda like a directed meltdown

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.
    and remember kids "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF JOKES!"

• sorry i didn't read the whole thing but here is a thought how about a reactor component or chamber block that is used to turn cobble and stone into lava? kinda like a directed meltdown

please explain? didnt realy get that one.

the point of this suggestion is not to add an new block (optional thou) its just to use the heat we dont use yet.

• The concept mijnboogje expose is valid... BUT

1. Nuclear reactors in real life are a complex structure that include several BIG components, also including a turbine that is the real component that create energy in the reactor. In Minecraft his size is exactly 7 block, but we must assume that the concept at the base is the same, so even if is extreamly compress there must be a turbine "in the reactor" actually.

2. U burn the uranium, u gain heat, the turbine convert this heat into energy and there is heat excess that must be cooled like nuclear reactor does... but this excess is waste heat no more useful for produce energy because is no more in the distribution liquid but dissipated in all the reactor... if usable, we have a 100% heat-energy conversion directly in the nuclear reactor... translated into minecraft language, u can't use this heat into something that make EU.

3. beyond this, if u want to use geogen at all cost into reactors, u can make a new component, crafted from a geogen and something else, cooling like a coolant cell and generating 1-2 EU/t only if the reactor is over 2000 heat instead of his normal beheaviour... it seems to me more balanced...

4. even if minecraft mustn't be like reality, we have to make it a minium similar if we think industrialish... or we will start to think to create energy directly from dirt or divine blessing one day...

• Why should Al add anything more to reactors when it's already severely underused?

It's complex enough that people have made friggin Apps to allow you to figure out the most optimal reactor that you want to use.

There is no point to add/change the reactor unless a total and complete overhaul is done. Which is a wasted time that they could use to develop other things.

because basically what we are suggesting if that you should be able to extract the excess heat off to make the reactors more stable and be able to create energy from it, making it more efficient, this would cause the reactors to be used even more. instead of barely at all :p

"the more people i kill, the better the chances are that i got the right one" ~Goblin Assassin: MtG

• please explain? didnt realy get that one.

the point of this suggestion is not to add an new block (optional thou) its just to use the heat we dont use yet.

we already know nukes make lava when they hit 85% hull heat so we are just recycling the laws of physics we already got the idea is to somehow focus the heat of the reactor in a controlled manner to turn blocks into lava and then feed the lava into a geogen. like replace a chamber with a geogen full of cobble and every so many heat the geo absorbs it turns a block in its fuel slot into lava to be used as fuel.

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.

• we already know nukes make lava when they hit 85% hull heat so we are just recycling the laws of physics we already got the idea is to somehow focus the heat of the reactor in a controlled manner to turn blocks into lava and then feed the lava into a geogen. like replace a chamber with a geogen full of cobble and every so many heat the geo absorbs it turns a block in its fuel slot into lava to be used as fuel.

nice theory passinglurker but i'm sorry that is incorrecct, when a nuclear reactor makes lava it makes Flowing lava's not Source lavas, that way players cannot use this to make Obsidian Farms.

"the more people i kill, the better the chances are that i got the right one" ~Goblin Assassin: MtG

• oh well

• looks like the discusion is going to an new level. an iditional component. from what i understood this is my conclusion:

2-cooling kicks in AFTER 2000 heat - what i understood was that they start generating at 2000 heat. so its only fair they start cooling after 2000 heat.
    3-maybe, after each 2000 or X heat, their efficiency is increased by 1 EU/Tick making high risk reactors more worth while to build.
    4-generates 2 EU/Tick at 2000 heat.

any other idea's?

god... i love an good discusion where people can put in their feedback about something. start with 1 and end with 2. an refined product of idea 1 :D

• because basically what we are suggesting if that you should be able to extract the excess heat off to make the reactors more stable and be able to create energy from it, making it more efficient, this would cause the reactors to be used even more. instead of barely at all :

QUICK, MAKE THE REACTOR MORE COMPLICATED SO MORE PEOPLE WILL USE IT!

You're trying to make 'Efficient' mean 'More Used'. That's not how it works. The same people will continue to use it and will benefit more, and the people who don't use it to begin with will continue not to use it, and have even more reason not to as it's more complex then before.

...What? There's no pineapples here.

GENERATION Pineapple: The first pineapple you see, copy it into your sig on any forum and add sqrt(-1) to the generation. Pineapple experiment.

• QUICK, MAKE THE REACTOR MORE COMPLICATED SO MORE PEOPLE WILL USE IT!

You're trying to make 'Efficient' mean 'More Used'. That's not how it works. The same people will continue to use it and will benefit more, and the people who don't use it to begin with will continue not to use it, and have even more reason not to as it's more complex then before.

the people who dont use it are either afraid of using something that is explosive or dont want to use anything that requires management!

im not suggesting to make it more beneficial so others might start to use it, since this is an discusion anything posted will be replied upon, the way i see it. the picture just is not complete!

also, this "steam turbine" would actualy make it more stable. since they dont get destroyed.. (should be reasonable) by an exces heat. they just soack it up and convert it into power. making an higher tier of reactor which is more stable to use.

but, if you DO decide to rant on about this. ur rants will fall on deaf ears that wont listen, dont bother. i wont
    have an cookie :Nuke TNT:

• looks like the discusion is going to an new level. an iditional component. from what i understood this is my conclusion:

I stopped reading there.

Really? Cant you really see whats wrong with that?