New Solar Model Idea

• I hope it doesnt move because if it did people with 512+ solar arrays would lagg out and crash there games and even servers. :(

• Looks nice, although it would force people to connect the cables below because otherwise it would look weird.

I'm willing to guess you are correct... :Solar Panel: :Solar Panel: :Solar Panel:

1. OMG CREEPER RUN AWAY!
    2. Go away, you creeper wierdo!
    3. What ever, I'll just go around.
    4. Hup, over their heads I go!
    5. Okay Mister living grenade, I'm going to knock you into those skeletons, and I'll follow through with a nano saber. Understood? FOR THE ALMIGHTLY DRAGON LORD!

• well this was once rejected as a suggestion because it would cause lagg every time it would move, so how come its diffrent now?

• well this was once rejected as a suggestion because it would cause lagg every time it would move, so how come its diffrent now?

Because ppl where thinking it would lag servers to death but animations are client sided just like the stuff optifine does. Besides with a option you could turn it off if needed.

• Looks nice, although it would force people to connect the cables below because otherwise it would look weird.

thats nothing a couple tweaks with blender can't solve like making the base 3/4 of the block thick and there can still be the tilty part or just have the wires stretch to connect to the stem

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.
    and remember kids "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF JOKES!"

• an addon to test the idea would be nice

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.
    and remember kids "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF JOKES!"

• Just thinking. Animated water doesnt lag minecraft so why would a animated solar lag?

It does if you have a crappy computer.
    Basically right now Solar Panels are one basic TileEntity with one part. If you add this they would become multiple parts some of which are moving. This would double, triple of even quadruple the amount of CPU/GPU time the solar panels use. As Kane discovered have a lot of parts (like the two parts that make up a sign) causes a decent amount of lag (they had a trade center with hundreds of signs, even Kane who gets 500+ FPS couldn't play smoothly in spawn).

I guess animation could be client side, BUT then it would result in a ton of weird glitches (players walking along solar panels would glitch out because there computers see them as regular boxes while the server sees them as complicated models).

• Good idea, but if you do this, I'm assuming hundreds of solar farms would become useless/ugly as hell. Including mine. So it would have been a good idea, if it were done before so many people made so many solar farms.

• Just thinking. Animated water doesnt lag minecraft so why would a animated solar lag?

The difference is obvious:
    Water is just a animated sprite, the solar panels are several parts rotating.
    We can expect to see thousands of these solar panels down causing massive lag- yes it could be turned off client side but what is the point if it always is off not to mention it will cause strange behavior on SMP (servers and clients will have different interpretations of the block).
    Finally this model consists of multiple parts. As Kane discovered even his beast of a computer (that normally sits at 500+FPS) struggles with large amounts of multi part "tile entities".

• I like the new model and would use it :) Im not the hard solar spammer so even if it turns to sun or something like that most of the people wouldnt get hardcore fps-lag. Maybe put this as an optional model in the Minecraft-Options. dunno if possible to make this but would be very nice :)

TrinityCraft Server, Whitelist.

Ic2/BC3/Forestry Railcraft/Logistics Pipes/Nuclear Control and more!

• Can someone do a test with 300+ enchanting tables? I'm guessing the resulting FPS would be similar, as they also have rotating models.