[suggestion] brain machine

• Name: brain machine

Description: think of it as an enchant yourself machine. the brain machine is a hightech way to turn your experience points into mad skillz. boiled down here is how it works [brain machine]+[you with an undetermined number of experience points standing under it]+[an undetermined amount of EU]= you gaining mad skillz and abilities like but not limited to...
    1. multiple levels of kung-fu skill (you do more damage than usual with you bare hands)
    2. organization skill (your inventory gets bigger)
    3. proper athletic form (run slightly faster, jump 1/2 block higher, hold your breath for a little longer)
    4. macgyver (some recipes get cheaper, and new recipes open up to you)
    5. how to swim (move through water faster and hold your breath for longer)
    6. the ability to fly (see "the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy, life the universe and everything" for RL instructions. super expensive skill (like ender dragon level experience))

recipe:?

say HAYO! if you like this followed by your brutally honest criticism

P.S. almost forgot your skillz are lost when you die

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.
    and remember kids "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF JOKES!"

• il say HAYO for an brutaly executed critism wave.

il try to stay nice.. i hate the way i have been flaming lately.

to start off, the brain machine... wel. i could go explain how things should be industrial and all sorts.. but honestly. the brain machine? i do not like it.
    i can understand you want to expand the enchantment system, expand it to even steve. but no, its just wel.... i cant explain it why not.

it is posible, dont get me wrong. i just dont like it. personal opinion ;) maybe somebody else does. but for this. cant realy add something to this. so il stick with an +0 rating for this. im neutral. :thumbup:

right, time to get serious...
    i wil be offline for weeks and possibly months at an time. if you have anything to add to an post i made, and would like me to know. you are welcome to pm me, and i wil reply as soon as i am able to do so.

• I find it cool.
    I'm sure every body already think something like "what's this f***ing experience level useful only for unscientific stuff!"
    Maybe I disagree with what you suggest on certain point (i.e. "MacGyver" and fly, the first one because it's a lot of code for a few things, the 2nd because ... because we won't FLY in Minecraft without spending EU or fuel!)
    Or simply a different way to improve IC² stuff and make it REALLY useful (What's useful with a diamond drill wich can break more block ... higher speed or multi-drop is okay, but the rest ...)

Of course if you could use experience for a diamond drill, that's not an enchant, it's because you have learned to use it in a way to be more efficient :)

Soon with Molten Salt Reactors, right ? :D
    NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• and you are entitled to your opinion i can understand when idea just doesn't ring with you. as for how "industrial" this is i'm of the opinion that when you start going high tech(quantum suits, terraformers, teleporters) "industrial" becomes less of a factor but here are some more "industrial" skillz that i have thought of
    1. machine tinkering(machines work faster when you give them your attention (i.e. have the gui open))
    2.resource management (1 in something chance of fortune enchantment like result, and access to cheaper recipes(doesn't stack with macgyver))

also experience isn't industrial normally its had by killing mobs and used in magic it wouldn't make sense for you to learn how to tweak your machines by killing pigs so the brain machine takes your experience and rearranges it into something useful.

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.

• This is a good idea. It gives experience a practical use and encourages people to stay alive instead of jumping in the ol' suicide pond whenever they get hungry. Seems no less industrial than turning sand and rocks and electricity into magic purple stuff that you can make into diamonds, or using a wooden bench, saw and a hammer to manufacture complex integrated circuits, etc. The only thing I would argue with is the ability to fly, which can only be briefly mastered before becoming one with pavement. Does not have to be a "brain machine" even, just some abstraction of the effect experience has on people at making them more proficient with stuff they do on a regular basis.

How about a comfy chair to sit in and collect your thoughts? After you think about the day you come to the realization that using your drill in some such way puts an inordinate strain on its motor, draining its batteries faster. A small lifestyle change could increase its battery life by some modest amount. Just an example. There are probably a million plausable sci-fi scenarios that don't involve recliners.

Just not sure if this could be coded at all. Would seemingly be like a potion whose effects do not wear off until you die.

Alternatively, I could see there being a Deadspace-esque upgrade table, that uses parts instead of experience to "enchant" tools. Would just be nice to give players an incentive to not die.

• the "ability to fly" is probably the least serious part of my suggestion (the key to how it is done in the hitchhikers guide is you have to throw yourself at the ground and miss)

as for comfy chairs how about a multi-tiered approach, a normal comfy chair that doesn't take eu but spends exp inefficiently and can only grant mundane skills like "drill care II", or "kung-fu I", and then a high level "teleport rna chemicals into my brain" machine that takes eu is efficient with exp and grants access to better and unique skills.

and finally as for coding here is how it could be done if directly "enchanting" steve is not possible or practical.
    1. give Steve a new armor slot
    2. give Steve an drop proof "brain" item that is always equipped in that slot
    3. enchant the "brain" item
    4. (optional) let Steve harvest the brains from his fallen foes and use the high tech machine to steal what is left of the brains skills (more pvp fun for all :D)

• Official Post

1: New armor slot is impossible without modifying basefiles (look the aether mod for example)
    2: Same as above

"Upgrading" Steve is almost the same as Nanotech stuff (Nanotech Laboratory)

• 1: New armor slot is impossible without modifying basefiles (look the aether mod for example)
    2: Same as above

"Upgrading" Steve is almost the same as Nanotech stuff (Nanotech Laboratory)

battlegear mod is forge compatible how do they add armor slots?

other ways to pull it off assuming what you say is accurate(still skeptical)
    1. enchants Steve's helmet when the helmet is removed an invisible enchanted item is created in the helmet slot and and the enchantment on the original helmet is deleted, when Steve places a new helmet there the invisible item is deleted and the enchant passed to the new item.
    2. long duration potion effects when the clock hits zero it just flips back to the maximum amount of time
    3. add new forge hooks
    if all else fails the machine could be turned into a thinking cap(no hat= no skillz)

• This would be kind of a nice way to spend those useless xp points but if there is any sort of RNG involved i'll give the idea a -10 as it literally kills me in almost every game.
    Does sound like a lot of work though.

• RNG?

amount of work is up to the devs in the end ideas are not always implemented as suggested

• Official Post

battlegear mod is forge compatible how do they add armor slots?

it is Forge compatible, not that it requires forge.
    Second it has a different mod requirement. Actually Forge probably does not provide inventory/more slots hook.

• 3. add new forge hooks

this