Suggestion: Compass reset

• See also: Locator beacon
    Was thinking of what else would be interesting to add, and remembered compasses always point to your original spawn. Quick search here and only the linked thread directly related to the idea.

General idea is to right-click with a compass (or an "advanced" version) to reset the target to either the block you're on, or the block pointed to (new base far from spawn, distant resource area).

A more advanced compass could possibly have a GUI with a list of "learned" destinations, one of which could be selected as the "active" target (possibly checking if homing target is active/exists/has power/is redstoned/whatever).

Brethern beat me to the idea, I'm just bringing it to suggestion forum and fleshing it out a bit.

• It COULD be saved independently in the player data, or could use NBTtags to set itself to the block it is assigned to (To allow compass sharing)

Haikus are poems

They don't always make sense

Potato

• Even simpler: Due to NBT-Tags we can easyly create an item which can store "a location" in itself. > Rightclick with beacon, beacon will point at that location from now on. No block necessary.

Awesome.

Haikus are poems

Potato

• Even simpler: Due to NBT-Tags we can easyly create an item which can store "a location" in itself. > Rightclick with beacon, beacon will point at that location from now on. No block necessary.

But are you going to make it, is the question. :p

Oh, and you love your NBT-Tags.

...What? There's no pineapples here.

GENERATION Pineapple: The first pineapple you see, copy it into your sig on any forum and add sqrt(-1) to the generation. Pineapple experiment.

• Similar to the exploits possible with modern warfare 2's "tactical insertion" care would need to be taken to avoid players dropping "their" spawn point or whatever in the middle of your base.

Also /sethome in the SMP commands has aspects f this to a certain extent. However, it would be nice to have some kind of "spawn block" you can put in single player. Then, you can sleep in a bed while exploring, but know you will revive in another set location if you die. However, that could be used as a cheap mans teleporter, make it an EU expense to use?

• Similar to the exploits possible with modern warfare 2's "tactical insertion" care would need to be taken to avoid players dropping "their" spawn point or whatever in the middle of your base.

Also /sethome in the SMP commands has aspects f this to a certain extent. However, it would be nice to have some kind of "spawn block" you can put in single player. Then, you can sleep in a bed while exploring, but know you will revive in another set location if you die. However, that could be used as a cheap mans teleporter, make it an EU expense to use?

I don't think this would be the case.
    I can already sleep in a bed to set my spawn, so why use a spawn block instead?
    Also, you COULD just destroy the spawn block to keep someone from spawning.

Haikus are poems

Potato

• care would need to be taken to avoid players dropping "their" spawn point or whatever in the middle of your base.

The only thing this should do is allow you to change the location that the compass points to (or whatever industrial replacement we end up with).

How it does this is where the fun lies. Whether it's a simple hotkey to reset your compass to target the block you're standing on, some crazy advanced item (GUI, list of saved targets, name and delete options, charge level and on/off switch), or anywhere inbetween, it still has only one job.

Point the way home.

• this fixes the "why i never use a compass" problem +1

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.
    and remember kids "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF JOKES!"

• Official Post

Oh, and you love your NBT-Tags.

Uhhm, that's not Alblakas invention, it's made by Notch before he gave the Development to Jeb. It was used to store the Enchantment on Items, what is also the reason, why industrial Tools are no longer able to be enchanted. But yes they are awesome.

To the Idea: Its good, will be pretty much unused by me, but good.

• Uhhm, that's not Alblakas invention, it's made by Notch before he gave the Development to Jeb. It was used to store the Enchantment on Items, what is also the reason, why industrial Tools are no longer able to be enchanted. But yes they are awesome.

I wasn't expressing him having ownership- I meant that he loves using them since he started to play around with them. The possibilities are nearly endless it seems.

...What? There's no pineapples here.

GENERATION Pineapple: The first pineapple you see, copy it into your sig on any forum and add sqrt(-1) to the generation. Pineapple experiment.

• Ok cool. I get it, and like it. How about beacons. Redstone torch sprites, but with different colored heads and handles would be my vote for simplicity and keeping with the visual theme. Can you add more needles to a compass, or have multiple compasses with different colored needles? Not a code guy here, so I don't know.

About spawning.. Sometimes I want to set a spawn point in daytime, or I want to sleep But come back somewhere else besides where i sleep when I die. All possible with the single player commands addon, in SMP, and is not in keeping with the spirit of the post anyway ;) but thought I would throw out there the why of what I said. My friends and I think that the SMP jump points and spawn points kinda cheapen the feel, and a nominal eu cost would help us feel better.

• I have been using wireless red-stone using the triangulator to do something like this. If you crated an interface where there is a programmable block and custom programmable compass that when they are on the same frequency the compass points towards the block it might work as a UI. and I think the triangulator also works on SMP so just create a version that works at longer ranges and is designed just to work as a beacon.

• No, but it tends to break mods which edit the compass FX, which we won't. "I think I found a fix" = correcting brainfart.

I think it should be simpler, right-click a block and the target is set. However this leaves me with a question, should it work in the Nether and End? They appear to have multiple magnetic poles (:P)

• I think it should be simpler, right-click a block and the target is set. However this leaves me with a question, should it work in the Nether and End? They appear to have multiple magnetic poles (:P)

Simple works for me. Either mouseover the target, or use the block the player is standing on.

Undecided on nether/end, since apparently in IC they don't exist (or at least any mention of them is met with ridicule). On one hand, the spooky dangerfun of "Where the balls am I?". On the other, technology conquers all.