[suggestion]Nether Exploration Vehicle (N.E.V) (a.k.a. the lava boat)

• Name: Nether Exploration Vehicle (N.E.V) (a.k.a. the lava boat)

Description: a non breaking boat that allows Steve to safely float through lava. it would be made out of Integrated Heat Dispensers because reactor components can already resist lava like temperatures. the key is stopping the heat from cooking Steve while he sits in the boat which is why the boat also incorporates a batbox(or other eu storage block) while the boat is power the Integrated Heat Dispensers will cool the inside of the boat keeping Steve safe. other notable features would be a enclosed cabin of reinforced glass to allow Steve to pilot the boat under lava falls and the "N.E.V retriever tool" it looks like an oven mitt and it will allow you to pick up the non breaking boat out of the lava with out risking it falling in to the lava (if you don't have the space in your inventory the "N.E.V. retriever tool" wont pick it up). and just make clear this boat won't break on impact but will drop its self if punched enough times but that is a bad idea cause you will lose it in lava so use the oven mitt

recipe:
    :Advanced Machine: = reinforced glass
    Nether Exploration Vehicle (N.E.V)
    :Advanced Machine::Advanced Machine::Advanced Machine:
    :Advanced Machine::Batbox::Advanced Machine:
    :Intergrated Heat Dispenser::Intergrated Heat Dispenser::Intergrated Heat Dispenser:
    N.E.V. retriever tool
    ???

EDIT: thought of a cooler name
    EDIT: how to safely exit the boat is currently up in the air please post your thoughts

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.
    and remember kids "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF JOKES!"

• Wow i have NOT underrestimated the Power of my "Joke". I saw that coming. (because you said it obviously)

We need Lavaboats not much, but still +1 :D

And i will use Frames for a mobile Nethertransportationplatform in the Future.

Forget frames for moving around in the nether, i rather suck up dry the lava oceans with dat pump omg. That will give me enough cells to live happy for a lifetime, now if only we could get something to get the nether loaded while in the overworld....

• Sounds like you've covered most of the bases, re-glass roof makes sense, nice twist with the retrieval mechanic.

As for the IHD's, since their main function is to move heat, how about adding a shift-rclick gui (since rclick is your in/out key) to access the battery slot, with 2/3 extra slots for coolant cells which would give somewhere for all that heat to go? Lava is extremely dangerous, and coolant levels would be an extra element to keep track of, needing to switch out power and coolant cells over time on extended journeys. Perhaps add smoke particles when coolant gets critical?

How would you handle getting out of the boat? With regular boats you jump out into the water, so would this boat have a different way to get out, or would the player have to dig out a spot so that they can ride the boat out of the lava onto dry ground?

Would also need to suppress the "entities in lava are on fire" visual effect too, but beyond these hangups, I like it.

• Change place/retrieve mech:
    Placing Vehicle leave Retriever in inventory. Using Retriever on Vehicle pick it up to inventory slot, used by Retriever.
    This way you will always have slot available and Vehicle can be unbreakable.

To get out of Vehicle use Jump to jump on top of it. Vehicle still stay and keep your weight, waiting for you to jump to beach and retrieve it.

Should it spend energy to high speed? No Iridium in recipe?

• Change place/retrieve mech:
    Placing Vehicle leave Retriever in inventory. Using Retriever on Vehicle pick it up to inventory slot, used by Retriever.
    This way you will always have slot available and Vehicle can be unbreakable.

thought about it like that but then there would be all this stuff about which boat goes with which retriever? and is that possible code wise? if the devs want it that way its not like i can stop them but i think the way in the OP is the simplest way to pull it off

To get out of Vehicle use Jump to jump on top of it. Vehicle still stay and keep your weight, waiting for you to jump to beach and retrieve it.

exiting is something i didn't consider to simplest way is just to say it gives temporary fireproofness for like 10 seconds but how do you explain that? your idea is good to but even with it accidents will be common. I GOT IT! have the Integrated Heat Dispensers turn the lava into a 3x3 cobble platform when you exit that way you can jump safely.

Should it spend energy to high speed? No Iridium in recipe?

first its a boat that is propelling you through molten ROCK I don't think high speed is an option and second its a boat if it was a lava submarine then we can slap some iridium on there

Shouldn't the recipe use refined iron instead?

it does have refined iron almost every piece has an alloy component and refined iron is in alloy

CiderCraft while the boat does need to be charged its still just a boat so i was planning for it to be able to hold a charge for a few day of constant use there is no way to add a hud and people can't have the gui open to monitor coolant at the same time as driving. try to think more user friendly

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.

• CiderCraft while the boat does need to be charged its still just a boat so i was planning for it to be able to hold a charge for a few day of constant use there is no way to add a hud and people can't have the gui open to monitor coolant at the same time as driving. try to think more user friendly

Sorry, I just thought having something for the IHD's to move the heat to that wasn't my arse might be useful.

Still pretty user-friendly, "Is my boat smoking? I'd better whack it with a coolant cell!"

• thought about it like that but then there would be all this stuff about which boat goes with which retriever? and is that possible code wise? if the devs want it that way its not like i can stop them but i think the way in the OP is the simplest way to pull it off

No doubt it possible. Inyour way you need two slots when not use it. Let devs decide.

exiting is something i didn't consider to simplest way is just to say it gives temporary fireproofness for like 10 seconds but how do you explain that? your idea is good to but even with it accidents will be common. I GOT IT! have the Integrated Heat Dispensers turn the lava into a 3x3 cobble platform when you exit that way you can jump safely.

So each time you exit you lose part of surface? Do not like it. Let player jump on top of vehicle before jump to beach. If no beach player can enter vehicle again.

first its a boat that is propelling you through molten ROCK I don't think high speed is an option and second its a boat if it was a lava submarine then we can slap some iridium on there

Do not need high speed on lava, but when on water (or other if would be) let speed be increased. At least water is easier to swim. Or should it sink? No.

CiderCraft while the boat does need to be charged its still just a boat so i was planning for it to be able to hold a charge for a few day of constant use there is no way to add a hud and people can't have the gui open to monitor coolant at the same time as driving. try to think more user friendly

Let player see intensiveness of steam clouds ejected. Easy visible without gui.

• Sebra responding to what you said in the order you said it

1. agreed devs decide

2. my experience with jumping on top of minecarts and boats is that they have this tendency of shooting out from under you when you least expect it. so how about this a docking block you place it on the shore and when you are close enough and click on it from inside the boat it teleports you out of the boat and on top of the dock block(teleport as in skipping a cut scene not teleport as in startrek) the block will also magnetically attract nearby empty lava boats to it so they never drift out of reach

3. considering lava is denser than water the N.E.V. should definitely sink and be rendered non functional when placed in water

4. if its possible code wise to display noticeably different densities of particle effects

• 2. Magnetizer? Why not. Let it attract all minecarts too. Or just lava flow. But we need a way to descend on empty beach too. [Mouse click] with [Jump] pressed - descend on block pointed, [Jump] without mouse click - jump on top. Player should be able to jump up in the middle to fly on jetpack or dive with Q-suit.

4. Not more or less particles - it should be laggy. Just size of periodic steam sprites. Or opaqueness.

• 2. Magnetizer? Why not. Let it attract all minecarts too. Or just lava flow. But we need a way to descend on empty beach too. [Mouse click] with [Jump] pressed - descend on block pointed, [Jump] without mouse click - jump on top. Player should be able to jump up in the middle to fly on jetpack or dive with Q-suit.

4. Not more or less particles - it should be laggy. Just size of periodic steam sprites. Or opaqueness.

this suggestion is about boats not minecarts I don't want to bog it down with to many details. the way you descend to an empty beach is you float next to it and place a docking block they should stack and be cheap the teleporting would be no worse than what can already do with boats and minecarts. if you fail to remember to bring docking blocks then maybe you shouldn't go sailing on a lake of lava

CiderCraft sounds good

• pretty nice idea man :) i would love to have one :D electrict lava boat that could use windmill to move? :D

the power is used purely for lava proofing how the boat is propelled is a closely guarded trade secret(pedal power)

• Quote from passinglurker

EDIT: how to safely exit the boat is currently up in the air please post your thoughts

What about shift clicking on a block to teleport Steve on that block? Otherwise Sebras jumping out of the boat seems kinda cool. The nether is a place of risk and danger afterall.

The coolant cell idea is pretty cool too, though their unstackability will be freaking annoying. I usually avoid any contact with those items except there's really no way around them.