[Request] Disable Ore generation without removing block IDs (for better support with custom ore generation mods)

• I've been experimenting with JRoush's Custom Ore Generation Mod (COGM), and I realized that COGM doesn't override the default IC² ore generation, but in stead add the custom ore generation on top of the default.

I thought that setting enableWorldGenOre* flags to false would solve this issue, however when I set either one to false COGM won't find the corresponding block ID and the world generation will halt.
    Is there some workaround to let IC² disable the default ore generation but still leave the block ID so that COGM can find it and generate the ore instead?

This is what modloader reports if I disable ore gen in IC2

CustomOreGen: Config error for 'DefaultIc2CopperVeins' (Unrecognized blockID: 249)

"DefaultIc2CopperVeins" is my own custom string ID assigned to block 249.

Besides this issue it seems like COGM works quite well generating IC² ore as long as it finds the corresponding ID.
    I just wish there was a feature to disable the default generation in some way without removing IDs.

Thoughts are welcome.

• personally i'd rather that not happen. I almost disabled IC2's ore gen as I needed the block IDs in another MC instal I was assembling.
    As to the ore stuff: do you have redpower installed? that's basically always there as it's got one ID for all the ores anyway.

• Its better to make this in the Supportsection, because its more a Bugfix than a Suggestion.

Well, I don't think of it as a bug really. It's just that the way this feature works right now doesn't really help those who wish to replace the default ore spawn with custom algorithms.
    Perhaps the easiest thing would be an additional parameter which disables the ore IDs, while the previous parameter would just disable the ore generation. That way people who use ore from RedPower, or wish to free some IDs, can still have them disabled.

• For what it's worth, I support this idea. IC2 has a very high standard of inter-compatibility with other mods, and this change (which should be simple to make) would have a great impact in that regard.

Perhaps the easiest thing would be an additional parameter which disables the ore IDs, while the previous parameter would just disable the ore generation. That way people who use ore from RedPower, or wish to free some IDs, can still have them disabled.

To address concerns about the limited number of block IDS, having separate settings seems like the best of both worlds. Again, this should be very simple to implement.

• I almost disabled IC2's ore gen as I needed the block IDs in another MC instal I was assembling.

Didn't Forge ore dictionary use a single block ID + a bunch of metadata for all it's ores? So as long as you have a single ore using the dictionary you won't loose any IDs by having more of them.

I could be mistaken, though.

• Official Post

Didn't Forge ore dictionary use a single block ID + a bunch of metadata for all it's ores? So as long as you have a single ore using the dictionary you won't loose any IDs by having more of them.

I could be mistaken, though.

Nope. Only Redpower makes that, and only for its Ores. But a Forge-Oredictionary like that, would be very good.

• Gonna have to agree with this one. Went to make a new world, and it kept crashing when trying to load. Finally realized that IC2 wasn't registering the ore's with gen disabled, and the mod is kind of pointless without them.

Need this feature bad. Cause since Custom Ore Gen won't work on servers, I'm generating the world in SSP and then copying it over. But if I can't generate IC2 ores with COG, no point in using IC2. Cause I'll use COG over IC2 any day of the week.

An alternative would be if someone could just comment out the part of the code that adds the new ores to the world gen stuff. I tried it myself, but I keep getting errors when trying to compile it.

• I just thought Id sign up and add my support of this idea. I use redpower alongside IC2 so for the most part, the ores are covered except for uranium. Its just that Im not really sure I even want RP installed but Im certain about Custom ore gen.