[Suggestion] Machine wear/breakdown mechanic

• Official Post

Just to scare some people:

A wear-mechanic sounds legit and could fit the few new nuances I wanted to add to machines with the "evil 2.0 hardcore industrialist" update.

So i have to make a Deployer autofilled with Machines (needs one of six sides), a Blockdetector (needs two of six sides), E-Wiring (needs one of six sides), Tubing (needs two of six sides) and a Blockbreaker (or Deployer + Autocharged E-Wrench) to remove old Machines (needs one of six sides), a Frameconstruction for Deployer and Blockbreaker (because a Machinecube has only six Sides but i need seven), to make a fully automatic Factory with Selfmaintenance?

GREAT!

• *shivers*

Alb just sacare the sh*t out of half forum, lets put all our hopes into the IC2.cfg.

And don't get me wrong, I like the idea, but when you play in a factions server, I prefer killing, and not maintaining machines.

• Just to scare some people:

A wear-mechanic sounds legit and could fit the few new nuances I wanted to add to machines with the "evil 2.0 hardcore industrialist" update.

DOOOOOOOOOOO ITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT.

if wear is added machine will no longer stack different ideas have been rejected for doing the same thing

Not entirely true, you could make the machines to only work when they have a certain something called "Spare Parts" in a special slot inside their GUI. Everytime a machine does a operation those "Spare Parts" will get reduced durability kinda like a tool, once those break down you would need to place some extra "Spare Parts" in there for the machine to work again. To make things extra special (And kill Autocraft users), make is so that special slot can only be accesed with a wrench in your hand or something.

• Might require a somewhat minor rewrite, but if the machine system behaved like the nuclear reactor system, players would just have to build the machine components (gears, grinders, electric units, etc.) and place them into the machine block to build their machine. Those machine components could wear down as the machine is used, and eventually need replacing with "spares". Seems extremely balanced, and Ilove the idea of one machine design being more efficent than another design.

Normal machine block should probably have a 5x5 grid, while the advanced machine block, with its stronger, thinner hull, can have a 10x10 grid. Placing machine blocks together could incrteas the size of the grid, allowing the construction of macerator-electric furnace combos.

• Official Post

Might require a somewhat minor rewrite, but if the machine system behaved like the nuclear reactor system, players would just have to build the machine components (gears, grinders, electric units, etc.) and place them into the machine block to build their machine. Those machine components could wear down as the machine is used, and eventually need replacing with "spares". Seems extremely balanced, and Ilove the idea of one machine design being more efficent than another design.

Normal machine block should probably have a 5x5 grid, while the advanced machine block, with its stronger, thinner hull, can have a 10x10 grid. Placing machine blocks together could incrteas the size of the grid, allowing the construction of macerator-electric furnace combos.

Ow freaking hell yeah... This would be utterly awesome.
    But I think that would take QUITE some vast amount to rewrite... probably for IC³ or something, if I ever get loads of free time again.

• Might require a somewhat minor rewrite, but if the machine system behaved like the nuclear reactor system, players would just have to build the machine components (gears, grinders, electric units, etc.) and place them into the machine block to build their machine. Those machine components could wear down as the machine is used, and eventually need replacing with "spares". Seems extremely balanced, and Ilove the idea of one machine design being more efficent than another design.

This would be the machine block Alblaka explained us in the old MCF IC1 opening post! If you would be able to make a cake machine that way, of course. HI-JOE!

The forum won't let me specify my gender accurately, so I'll just use my signature to say that I go by they/them pronouns.

• If the machine itself had a damage value, wouldn't every machine need its own ID? Also, I've never seen a mod that adds blocks that have an actual physical "damage" value. If something like that was added to IC2, wouldn't it lag really bad as the block constantly changes its ID as it's used? Food for thought.

• Might require a somewhat minor rewrite, but if the machine system behaved like the nuclear reactor system, players would just have to build the machine components (gears, grinders, electric units, etc.) and place thm into the machine block to build their machine. Those machine components could wear down as the machine is used, and eventually need replacing with "spares". Seems extremely balanced, and Ilove the idea of one machine design being more efficent than another design.

I think it would be good, but in order to make everybody happy, let me come back with an oiling machine suggestion: This oil could be obtained from tar, gas (as Al already spoke about implementing it) or BC-Oil, when put in a IC²-Refinnery.
    Then you could obtain randomly better fuel (Kerozene, petroil etc ...) or oil for Oiling-machine.
    The machines would run 10% faster than now without Oil, but could break (or their components, as said in the post I quote, Idea that I prefer) randomly/when the resistance bar would be over. But when Oiled, the machine would run even faster (*1.2 for example), would be a bit more Energy-saving (*0.9) and above all, using Oiling machine would remove the possibility of they breaks, randomly or not.

So, it would make the game harder (for example for FenixR), would let GregoriusT building factory but more sophisticated one, and, considering Oil (for Oiling machine) wouldn't be renewable, or with a very difficult way (Cross-Breeding ?), would let player set up real economy on their servs.
    Even the EE players (I won't say what I think about them) could use it, assuming Oil could be created by Condenser/MkIII etc ...

Soon with Molten Salt Reactors, right ? :D
    NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• I think it would be good, but in order to make everybody happy, let me come back with an oiling machine suggestion: This oil could be obtained from tar, gas (as Al already spoke about implementing it) or BC-Oil, when put in a IC²-Refinnery.
    Then you could obtain randomly better fuel (Kerozene, petroil etc ...) or oil for Oiling-machine.
    The machines would run 10% faster than now without Oil, but could break (or their components, as said in the post I quote, Idea that I prefer) randomly/when the resistance bar would be over. But when Oiled, the machine would run even faster (*1.2 for example), would be a bit more Energy-saving (*0.9) and above all, using Oiling machine would remove the possibility of they breaks, randomly or not.

So, it would make the game harder (for example for FenixR), would let GregoriusT building factory but more sophisticated one, and, considering Oil (for Oiling machine) wouldn't be renewable, or with a very difficult way (Cross-Breeding ?), would let player set up real economy on their servs.
    Even the EE players (I won't say what I think about them) could use it, assuming Oil could be created by Condenser/MkIII etc ...

Maybe something like an "oil cell" that lubricates machine components in a radius. Lubricated components could wear at a much slower rate, or not at all. Over time, the oil cell gets used up, and turns into a "used oil cell", and could be recycled into rubber or refined back into clean oil.

• Over time, the oil cell gets used up, and turns into a "used oil cell", and could be recycled into rubber or refined back into clean oil.

I like it. But I think Machine shouldn't be breakabe at all when oiled (because it would be against the basic Idea of IC: making undestroyable tools (also blocks) Vs Energy.
    And Cells, why not, but there's already so many people wich don't want to use it, I think we should find an other way in order not to waste tin.

NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• The Basic idea of IC2 is "ENERGY", the unbreakable part its only (Or was) true due to the lack of tool/hooks/something that minecraft didn't have before, or some lack of exp, or like i always say,some sort of lazyness on making the game completely realistic.

Im fairly sure that if they wanted to, the dev team would be more than able to place breakable condition to the tools if they WANT to. (Not total breakage, but something like rustyness and/or partial brokenness that can be easily fixed with some little maintenance to the tool or spare parts, no need to recraft it)

• the unbreakable part its only (Or was) true due to the lack of tool/hooks/something that minecraft didn't have before, or some lack of exp, or like i always say,some sort of lazyness on making the game completely realistic.

Maybe. We just disagree on this point. But couldn't we deal with Oil wich would be limited/obtained by Crossbreeding for oiling machine ? Not everybody would use it, and it would make the machine finite without.

NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• If we go with the nuclear-reactor style machine, what would happen if a single part of the machine broke? Would the entire machine explode? Or would it just create smoke particles and stop working? Maybe certain components like transformers and energy storage increase the chance of an explosion if a component fails.

On the subject of oil: I'd love to see oil cells as a way to slow down the wear-and-tear of components that it touches. With better, upgraded oil refining equipment, the player could then get better grades of oil that better protect against wear-and-tear.

For people that don't like the idea of having machines that get worn out, what about having it disable-able in the config?