[SUGGESTION] Aesthetic glow from reactors.

• Hi everyone, I was browsing the web when i heard of Cherenkov Radiation. Why can't we have a hayoish form of lighting?! :evil: (*cough*Sorry, mad scientist moment*cough*) Anyway, All it does is make reactors glow occasionally. No need for lights in a reactor anymore! Next step up is a blue glow when Mojang AB implement coloured lighting. Excuse me if I'm wrong since I am a Java noob, but it should hopefully change only a few lines of code for lighting, and should HOPEFULLY not blow a reactor up with the update. What do you think?

• Yep. So it can simulate the radiation listed in the OP because radioactive stuff has to glow lol.

Next step up is a blue glow when Mojang AB implement coloured lighting.

They probably won't.

Excuse me if I'm wrong since I am a Java noob, but it should hopefully change only a few lines of code for lighting, and should HOPEFULLY not blow a reactor up with the update. What do you think?

If my memory doesn't fail me, its not "two lines" of code at all, or at least as Albalaka said about it. The reason why it was, sort of, denied.

• Official Post

They probably won't.

If my memory doesn't fail me, its not "two lines" of code at all, or at least as Albalaka said about it. The reason why it was, sort of, denied.

Trust me, its just two Lines. Lighton and Lightoff, and that inside the Nuclearreactortickfunction, which already switches the Color of the Reactortexture.

Edit: 3 Lines, because the Light must be shut off, if the Reactor gets destroyed.

Ok. But I didn't say TWO lines, I said a few. But never mind. :/

Just mentioned that Albalaka already expressed his opinion about colored lights.
    And as i remember he said thats its will be very hard to code, or something similar.

Trust me, its just two Lines. Lighton and Lightoff, and that inside the Nuclearreactortickfunction, which already switches the Color of the Reactortexture.

If about normal light-you probably right.
    But not about colored, i suppose

• Official Post

Trust me, its just two Lines. Lighton and Lightoff, and that inside the Nuclearreactortickfunction, which already switches the Color of the Reactortexture.[/quote]

Nope, it's probably ~10-20 lines, depending on complexity. Keep in mind Minecraft's lighting engine is not exactly friendly-to-use.
    Wasn't added previously because we didn't found the correct calls to make TE-based lighting levels possible.

• Official Post

Nope, it's probably ~10-20 lines, depending on complexity. Keep in mind Minecraft's lighting engine is not exactly friendly-to-use.
    Wasn't added previously because we didn't found the correct calls to make TE-based lighting levels possible.

*Sees Post**Looks at Lightingcode* HOLY SHIT WHAT THE FUCK DID NOTCH DO THERE!!!

That means that colored reactor glow is now possible to make.
    But will it be implemented?

• Official Post

*Sees Post**Looks at Lightingcode* HOLY SHIT WHAT THE FUCK DID NOTCH DO THERE!!!

Hm, can i see it? Got curious but, too lazy to decompile it now. (PM)

That means that colored reactor glow is now possible to make.
    But will it be implemented?

He probably is talking about normal light. Not colored, mojang doesn't even have a support for that. And coding that would need basefile modifications i suppose (if forge doesnt have a modification for that).

• Official Post

Hm, can i see it? Got curious but, too lazy to decompile it now.

Its not how he coded it, its WHERE he coded it. The Code is inside the normal Block.class! And it defines Light by BlockID, and not by something like am easy general setLightsource(x,y,z,level)-Function, which could be easyly implemented with the current Lightingsystem. Good that i learn out of Minecrafts failures, before starting my own Computergame.

• Official Post

Its not how he coded it, its WHERE he coded it. The Code is inside the normal Block.class! And it defines Light by BlockID, and not by something like am easy general setLightsource(x,y,z,level)-Function, which could be easyly implemented with the current Lightingsystem. Good that i learn out of Minecrafts failures, before starting my own Computergame.

Hmm, got it. Well, the wise learns with the failures of others, instead of their owns. :sleeping:
    I'm going to sleep until someone rescues me in the farlands ^^.

• It sounds like this suggestion might have some backing from the dev team. I think it'd be a nice little touch.

There is, however, one detail that's been bugging me. Wouldn't you need to add the glow effect to the reactor chambers in addition to the core itself?

• This is a little off-topic, but I'm curious - since Minecraft uses multitexturing for light, couldn't you make coloured light by having multiple versions of the light texture and simply swapping between them?

• Official Post

This is a little off-topic, but I'm curious - since Minecraft uses multitexturing for light, couldn't you make coloured light by having multiple versions of the light texture and simply swapping between them?

Too much effort. You need an additional mapping for Red light, Green Light and Blue Light (in addition to the normal Lightlevels) for all the Chunks, before you can do that.