[GregTech-6][1.7.10] Moved to Website

• The early generator for GT is the steam turbine. After you go through the bronze age, you build it to get EU from your steam boilers.

Thanks for the quick response.

I tried the steam turbine, and I couldn't figure out how to connect it to my IC2 machines. Also, it exploded.

I've got an ordinary IC2 generator too, and it won't connect to GT machines. Any help with these issues would be appreciated.

Unrelated to this, my Railcraft steam turbine won't run, and I'm going to go find something to blow up until I feel better.

• Novae : Gregtech has its own energy net now that is separate from the IC2 energy net. The steam turbine itself likely did not blow up; either your boiler blew up because you put water in it when it was hot and dry, or your cable blew up because it was of the wrong type/size.

http://wiki.feed-the-beast.com/GregTech/Electricity

That is a primer on how energy works in Gregtech. It's not exhaustive yet, but should give you an idea of how it works.

• 14,336 dirt = 1 HV Lithium Battery (not counting alloy or wire, just the lithium)

I love Gregtech. Giving me reason to horde EVERYTHING and reduce it. <3

Quoted from "zorn":
    People can't handle losing. Lots of new games are like this. My son's Lego games? You die and respawn on the spot, just lose a bit of money. It's made so that anyone can win, even the worst players. Like TE, or EU. They say that IC2 is 'keeping them from moving on' but can never say what that is. In reality they just failed, blew up a bunch of stuff, and their fragile egos couldn't take it so they gravitate towards mods designed to guarantee that you succeed.

• I guess it is good for people who can't make their own mod packs. Just have everything in one launcher.

I think configuring 200+ mods to work together is more difficult then it sounds like...

Help the Official FTB Wiki reach a billion pages! [I had to keep changing it so there ^^]

Someone should fix the gravel texture in the background. It's been years now, come on people.

• Novae : Gregtech has its own energy net now that is separate from the IC2 energy net. The steam turbine itself likely did not blow up; either your boiler blew up because you put water in it when it was hot and dry, or your cable blew up because it was of the wrong type/size.

http://wiki.feed-the-beast.com/GregTech/Electricity

That is a primer on how energy works in Gregtech. It's not exhaustive yet, but should give you an idea of how it works.

Oh, wow. That does answer a ton of questions I had, thank you.

That page says that transformers can take IC2 power. I found that I can connect a generator to an IC2 transformer, and a GT cable will connect to the input if the transformer is set to 'step up' or the output if set to 'step down'. So I can change GT into IC2, but not the other way around. No IC2 cable will attach to the GT transformer, though the page does say that transformers are supposed to take IC2 power. Did I do something wrong?

So if I'm reading the wiki(s) right (FTB is the official one?), I should be using steam or gas power until I can build a fusion generator. There does not appear to be a usable nuclear generator of any kind.

BTW, it turns out that machines - at least, steam turbines - don't like rain. Did not know that.

Thanks again for the help.

• Here's how to transform IC2 EU to GT power:

Yes, I saw that earlier. It didn't work. I can't connect the IC2 transformer to the GT transformer. Unless you mean to connect the transformers directly to each other...

...yep, that did it. I had the wrong voltage transformer and it blew up! Fun! Thanks for the help!

The post was edited 1 time, last by Novae ().

• @EmporerHadriusIII,

I have answered your question twice before this. Please look back over the last few pages for my posts answering your question.

Duckfan77

• I have just successfully smelted an entire stack of aluminium in a 512v blast furnace, entirely using sulfuric acid batteries for power. Which I did solely to use up some of my sulfur....
    I still have 26 stacks of sulfur.

Quoted from "zorn":
    People can't handle losing. Lots of new games are like this. My son's Lego games? You die and respawn on the spot, just lose a bit of money. It's made so that anyone can win, even the worst players. Like TE, or EU. They say that IC2 is 'keeping them from moving on' but can never say what that is. In reality they just failed, blew up a bunch of stuff, and their fragile egos couldn't take it so they gravitate towards mods designed to guarantee that you succeed.

• Only 26? You're not trying :P

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• I have just successfully smelted an entire stack of aluminium in a 512v blast furnace, entirely using sulfuric acid batteries for power. Which I did solely to use up some of my sulfur....
    I still have 26 stacks of sulfur.

Fastforward to just after 4 more gregtech updates. "Dammit guys, I need sulfur to make the new XYZ machine Greg just implemented and I used it all smelting aluminium .... argggg" :D

• Fastforward to just after 4 more gregtech updates. "Dammit guys, I need sulfur to make the new XYZ machine Greg just implemented and I used it all smelting aluminium .... argggg" :D

Nah, 'cuz by then i'll maybe have actually macerated the 3 double chests of raw sulfur ore I have.

Checkmate.

Quoted from "zorn":

• did the machine explosion bug in 1.6 get fixed? Id rather not have to have a couple stacks of EV-transformers everywhere just to power my OC-ed machines without them exploding, in this case each machine has the full transformer upgrade stack, but on stacking multiple AESUs to get the needed current for all of them it steps over the 8192EU mark and they'll all explode...

why did you still have the EU input check anyway after the API was changed to over-flow? you *are* a IC2 dev after all greg...

• did the machine explosion bug in 1.6 get fixed? Id rather not have to have a couple stacks of EV-transformers everywhere just to power my OC-ed machines without them exploding, in this case each machine has the full transformer upgrade stack, but on stacking multiple AESUs to get the needed current for all of them it steps over the 8192EU mark and they'll all explode...

why did you still have the EU input check anyway after the API was changed to over-flow? you *are* a IC2 dev after all greg...

Uh.. since 1.7.2 I don't think any of the things you've said are problems anymore. See, Gregtech has kinda totally changed since back then.

Quoted from "zorn":

• Uh.. since 1.7.2 I don't think any of the things you've said are problems anymore. See, Gregtech has kinda totally changed since back then.

I know all about 1.7 in that hes moved away from IC2 and now uses his own power, but I'm talking about 1.6 which last I checked still has the machine explosion bug due to the IC2 API overhawl, I have to set up my power grid awkwardly to compensate.

I'm not just about to ditch my current pack and update to 1.7 either as I still have another 20-something mod devs to wait for, and a pack with just the very basic mods is kinda boring...

• The thing isnt a Bug, it is an IC² Feature. IC² Machines WOULD explode if not a certain someone would have disabled Explosions in IC². I however KEPT the explosions, those explosions are INTENTIONAL.

• The thing isnt a Bug, it is an IC² Feature. IC² Machines WOULD explode if not a certain someone would have disabled Explosions in IC². I however KEPT the explosions, those explosions are INTENTIONAL.

well then, so why does the IC2 API not have voltage data (that you should go off), aka EU/p? and BC/RF and steam don't cause explosions either...

logical solution is to patch the highest transformer level (8192) to be unvalued/valmax as there's no machines that emit higher than 8192 anyway, but due to the new API the value is stacked regardless of what values are emitted. if you dont fix it then Ill just patch it myself and be done with it.

why does IC2 use double-precision anyway? its just stupid and slow (4 times greater time than single-precision float, and floats alone are even greater than standard integer on a CPU), only standard 32bit integers are needed...

edit; also, floats cant be atomic, which means no threading or acceleration in a HSA processor or standard parallel compute unit (eg; a GPU), so floating-point technically shouldn't be used at all unless you want it to always be slow and unscalable...

not that it really matters provided greg's power uses integer anyway, which I hope you do greg.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Paul17041993: added note about atomics as well as a little re-wording ().

• I never had issues with gt machines exploding in 1.6 ... I just engineered things properly

• I never had issues with gt machines exploding in 1.6 ... I just engineered things properly

you using a stack of AESUs or MFSUs? cause I am.

what annoys me the most though is it happens to AESUs too, so if I were to power my factory from an FR setup or a large MOX reactor grid than Ill need to give each individual machine block (4-8 of one type of OC-ed machine) its own power grid with its own plasma gens or 4 EV-transformers to cap the power to each AESU.

its just stupid messy more than it really needs to be...