[GregTech-6][1.7.10] Moved to Website

• But it did work in Boilers, in my last world, I used River Bees to give me clay which I electrolyzed the Clay Dust into Lithium which I fuelled my base with.

Lithium does burn in water quite well. I just meant it's not gas :)

It's even worse than you think. You can't get manganese from Tungstate ore without an industrial grinder... which requires stainless steel to construct.

It's even worse than that.
    Alternative source for manganese is electrolyzing sepessarite dust. To get that you'll need to industrial centrifuge red garnet dust. Industrial centrifuge requires stainless steel.

Before I realized grinder needs it I was going to write up a how I intended to progress in soon-to-be-rebooted SSP world but now seeing there is (again) a circular dependency it's kind of hard. I'll write what I got anyway, though :)

Disregarding dungeon drops* and assuming ind. centrifuge won't need stainless steel it seems like this should be somewhat decent:
    1) get wooden tools
    2) stone tools
    3) iron tools
    3.1) get saw ASAP
    3.2) hammer, file followed by pickaxe

4) bronze tier
    4.1) boiler + grinder (1.5x ore efficiency)
    4.2) steam hammer (no more hammers spent on making plates)
    4.3) furnace (saves fuel)
    4.4) smelter (smelting tetrahedrite to copper&cassiterite to tin -> grinding to dusts -> smelting again vs smelting ingots directly. Saves time and fuel)
    4.4) blast furnace, start cooking a TON of steel
    4.5) compressor & extractor in preparation for electric tier

5) steel tier
    5,1) generator + plate bender (2x plate efficiency)
    5.2) macerator (better ore duplication)
    5.3) bronze jackhammer (save on picks when mining)
    5.4) get a battery charger
    5.4.1) fill with RE batteries (you''ll need the batteries later anyway + it's relatively cheap)
    5.4) invest ALL of steel into blast furnace (getting steel fast is crucial. you could just wait for the bronze one or make many of them but it's generally a waste of resources imho)
    5.4.1) have the battery charger to feed into blast furnace
    5.4.2) apply transformer upgrade to it
    5.4.3) start cooking moar steel
    5.5) general machinery & workshop upgrades
    5.5.1) build more generators as you get more steel.
    5.5.1.1) Possibly upgrade them to semifluid ones if you have plenty of oil to burn.
    5.5.1.2) If in addition to oil you also have enough diamonds get the BC refinery and upgrade generators into diesel ones. Skip semifluid entirely if possible
    5.5.2) assembly machine (better circuit efficiency)
    5.5.3) ind. centrifuge (better efficiency for rubber)
    5.5.4) extractor (doesn't need steam one)
    5.5.5) alloy smelter
    5.5.6) compressor (combined with previous two you can shut down your steam machines)
    5.6) upgrade BF to 1.7K (aluminum)
    5.7) ind. electrolyzer (lithium batteries)
    5.8 ) go live in a nether for a while
    5.8.1) live there until you have 46 red garnets for your first set of manganese for stainless steel (what's their drop rate again)?
    5.9) get ind. grinder (even better ore efficiency, ability to get manganese from tungstate)

I haven't really advanced from there further in current GT so I haven't thought through in what order should stuff be built next.

Besides the obvious manganese ind. grinder/centrifuge messup I see two big problems:
    1) time spent from bronze blast furnace to industrial one is insane
    2) getting the 46 red garnets is similarly insane and completely non-automatable/parallelizable (in SSP)

For first the "solution" is to build several blast furnaces at the cost of stacks and stacks of bronze. Not perfect but doable. Now that pretty much everything in electric tier needs steel making it possible to use the same mutiblock structure for several blast furnace machines similar to electric one makes sense imho. Before one could craft most of the low-end electric tier machines without steel it made sense that one multiblock = one furnace. I'm not so sure any more.

Second one is a bit trickier. Farming 46 red garnets is far from simple. It would be nice if there were other things people could do in the mean time as one can spend time mining for ores while waiting for steel to cook.

Arguably smaller problem is the requirement of stainless steel for most tools. The bronze jackhammer still exists, how about adding bronze electric variants for drill and wrench as well? Cut the speed of bronze drill down a bit and have it's capacity at 10k instead of 30k for the (stainless) steel one. Let the bronze wrench have 10k capacity making it capable of removing one machine when fully charged and boost the next tier to be capable of two (+ some more for 3 crafts per charge).

Also the electric machines have their tiers somewhat messed up compared to pre-steel rework. It used to be that refined iron was low-end and steel/advanced machine casings half a tier higher. Now everything needs steel and the things needing stainless steel seem rather arbitrary. E.g I would definitely put industrial centrifuge at lower tier than ind. electrolyzer and grinder.

Here is a proposal for reworking the tech tree:

T0: no machines, just basic picks
    T1: vanilla furnace
    T2: bronze age
    T3: basic electric age (generator, furnace, batbox, compressor, extractor) - require steel
    T3.1: basic machine casings, smelter, blast furnace, plate bender/cutter, macerator, canner, wiremill, semifluid generator, lathe - advanced circuits (glowstone, usually from nether)
    T4: low-temp blast furnace age - reinforced machine casings, ind. centrifuge, diesel generator, sawmill, assembler, basic steel tools - require something that can only be made in blast furnace
    T4.1: med temp blast furnace age - ind. electrolyzer, implosion compressor (for industrial diamonds) - require higher temperature blast furnace for aluminum, some End materials (not sure what)
    T5: chem reactor, ind grinder, universal macerator, multiblock generators, diamond electric tools - require implosion compressor and/or electrolyzer produced things
    T6: chrome age - adv. machine casings, distillation tower, matterfab, tesseracts
    T7: tungstensteel age
    T8: fusion!

This is just a rough plan with several machines missing and possibly misplaced. It's just intended to be a rough idea how things could be made to work

I also propose reworking thermal generator to produce steam from water+lava instead of electricity directly. Obviously at lower efficiency than RC & thermal boilers but somewhat better than bronze one (just higher output per tick would be good enough).

*) @dungeon drops, Greg, do you consider it's intended that one turns on RC with it's mountains of steel and TC with it's dungeons being littered everywhere? I'm just trying to figure out if you intend to balance your mod around having decent supply of certain dungeon drops like that mentioned manganese. Villager trades seem like a better option and far less unbalanced

• Villager trades seem like a better option and far less unbalanced

Villager Trades are worse than EE. Extremly overpowered. Ever watched Docm77? He has 2 Villager Trading Systems, and even though the one on Mindcrack isnt finished yet, alone that one unperfect Blacksmith with all the vanilla Items can give you infinite Diamond Gear for basically nothing but Paper, Wheat and GenerikBs Chickens.

• Villager Trades are worse than EE. Extremly overpowered. Ever watched Docm77? He has 2 Villager Trading Systems, and even though the one on Mindcrack isnt finished yet, alone that one unperfect Blacksmith with all the vanilla Items can give you infinite Diamond Gear for basically nothing but Paper, Wheat and GenerikBs Chickens.

Then implement your own villager house in villages, like TiC did.
    That house would have a Gregtech Villager (which does nothing but buy stuff for emeralds [he doesnt sell anything]) AND a "trading station" block which sells important items, for things like ores, coal, diamonds, redstone, anything you think it is plausible.

GregTech Villager house is made of Colored Construction Foam, has a Bronze Boiler, a Bronze Grinder and a chest with some bronze tools.

• Villager Trades are worse than EE. Extremly overpowered. Ever watched Docm77? He has 2 Villager Trading Systems, and even though the one on Mindcrack isnt finished yet, alone that one unperfect Blacksmith with all the vanilla Items can give you infinite Diamond Gear for basically nothing but Paper, Wheat and GenerikBs Chickens.

By "unbalanced" I meant "not requiring the existence of other mods to be decently playable". I know villagers can be abused as well but having a mod multiply the amount of loot chests in world by something like 5-10 (TC) is at least as bad in my eyes. Especially when combined with RC where just a handful of chests can easily allow you to skip entire bronze tier.

• How much Steel do you get to skip the Bronze Blast Furnace and go ahead to the electric one? And it is impossible to skip the Bronze Extractor, so you have to go and use the Bronze Tier.

• How much Steel do you get to skip the Bronze Blast Furnace and go ahead to the electric one? And it is impossible to skip the Bronze Extractor, so you have to go and use the Bronze Tier.

3 stacks of steel made me skip bronze machines, but not the BF furnace (and extractor) as i ended up using all steel and i needed more generators.
    What about my village idea? It wont be OP if you make the trades limited and sell stuff only for non-renewable stuff (some ores, coal ...)

I build generator (16 steel), aseembler (6 steel) and plate bender (using assembler 24 steel) I require 46 steel to halve ALL of metal I use for plates. All that's needed is bronze boiler+extractor. Having double-efficiency plate construction ability before building bronze grinder/hammer/blast furnace is MASSIVE bonus. From the metal saved I can build at least two extra bronze blast furnaces.

I propose a new unit for unbalance: EE.

Extra Bees has an unbalance of 5.0EE. Villager trading has an unbalance of 2.5EE. :)

We have not enough minerals! ~Executor

beep bop? zzzzz beee?!

• greg, you should probably update your matterfab to liquid uu matter... also, does stainless steel have a real use? for a steel replacement i think it is too expensive...

• greg, you should probably update your matterfab to liquid uu matter... also, does stainless steel have a real use? for a steel replacement i think it is too expensive...

It's seemingly supposed to be a higher tier of steel that can also be used as a replacement for regular steel in some places.

Too bad one needs either ind. grinder or centrifuge to make it and both need stainless steel to make themselves ...

• Thank you hoho for this simple GregTech progression - looking for something like this since we started with GregTech.

When i review the last ~25 pages, it seems Greg has lost a bit of overview in this 'new material / recipe' mess - no offense ;)
    But this: MachineX needs material X off MachineX to build itself... is that really necessary? How do you organize your techtree, Greg?

• Too bad one needs either ind. grinder or centrifuge to make it and both need stainless steel to make themselves ...

for the chrome? but you need electrolyzer, not grinder! :D