[GregTech-6][1.7.10] Moved to Website

• What about diamonds, do you add your own fancy versions of those, or just generate your own ore? Have you nerfed the vanilla ore spawn rates?

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• Lets show off some of the Ores in the World. I just chose a few of the ones which I found on the Surface. And yes, Iron Ore (and Tetrahedrite) requires a Bronze or Iron Pick to mine. There are also a few Copper and Tin Ore Blocks which require just Stone Pickaxes.

So the new way to start is just plain copper + tin ore, to make bronze picks, then use bronze picks to mine iron and so on?
    Also, trolling barely visible tin + iron ore textures :P

Edit: Maybe more types of earlygame pick/tools (is your custom tool thing being implemented finally? :P)

• Well, i bet for some random low-rate spawning of any basic ore everywhere (however low rate).....for people starting to play on server should be possible to start in quite random place even some players before them already mined the main veins....without that it will be nearly unplayable to even start .....some people now complain about crafting of metal tools, what they will do when they wont find any metal at all? I want also some non-hardcore players on my server :D

• Concerning the generator, it has always bugged me how they are supposed to be more efficient but actually a certain amount of planning to make it truly efficient.

Say you have a full 4000/4000 EU in you generator. You leave a stack of coal in the generator. Say you use one EU. The generator automatically burns a piece of coal just to replace that one EU. And you lose the rest of the energy. It would be nice if the generator could have something like a 4500 EU buffer and then when the buffer goes below 500 then it burns a piece of charcoal. Or maybe it does not try to burn stuff at all unless it is at zero buffer and some machine is requesting energy.

That is actually one of the features I find most interesting from TE. It adjusts down the rate at which you consume fuel depending on the energy demand.

I like micro management and gregtech gives that but too much micro over long periods of time makes the game boring and repetitive.

-----
    Or an alternative to that would be to make the Generator use steam instead.

Gregtech adds a bronze age and you need steam to run your bronze machines. Why not make the generator a sort of middle ground between the bronze age and electric age? You use the steam you already have at hand to generate a sort of higher tier of energy. Until you can build other generators that run off other stuff.

Also you don't just like get electricity simply from burning coal. As far as I know power stations that use coal use it to boil water and use the resulting steam to turn dynamos or whatever the proper technical term is.

GENERATION 28: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the
    generation. Social experiment.
    I have copied this line

The post was edited 3 times, last by black3agl3 ().

• Low tier steam turbines were suggested, requested even a couple of times already. You are totally right. Because that little steam generation from bronze age is completely useless in electric age, people do not want to build more boilers. I would totally spam many boilers early on if I was sure that I can use those same boilers to produce EU. Low tier steam turbines should have replaced standard generators long ago.

• Low tier steam turbines were suggested, requested even a couple of times already. You are totally right. Because that little steam generation from bronze age is completely useless in electric age, people do not want to build more boilers. I would totally spam many boilers early on if I was sure that I can use those same boilers to produce EU. Low tier steam turbines should have replaced standard generators long ago.

I was thinking about steam because the high pressure steam boiler kind of has no use right now. Early game you don't really have that much stuff to process all the time. And boilers need to be running all the time to be efficient. Meaning just a small coal boiler is more than enough. Unless you are really impatient and don't mind wasting resources.

GENERATION 28: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the
    generation. Social experiment.
    I have copied this line

• The low tier gas turbines already exist, it would make sense if you could simply route steam to them instead of only flammable gas.

• Another Note: IC2 Cables won't work on any GT Machine (If you think about using IC2 Cables instead), you have to put a Transformer right in front of the IC2 Generator/Storage Block in order to retrieve Energy from it (what isn't lossless at all). Inverted Transformers can take IC2-Energy from up to 5 Sides, regular ones only from the 4-Dotted Side.

So basically I'll build generator->IC2 cable->IC2 power storage- (Will IC2 transformer also work?)>GT transformer and will still be able to use IC2 cables?

Will it be possible to "upgrade" cables by +1 tier by clicking on a in-world cable with another cable of same type and tier? Would make it less tedious to upgrade power networks :)

And now behold ALL THE ORES (There are also Netherrack and Endstone variants, but that is too much work to please each of them)

Will we actually get all those ores in nether and end or will there just be a tiny subset of them there?

So far I am working on a small but versatile modpack and trying to keep everything hard with slow progress and try not to use too many mods. Main problems I run into are a storage network and some Red logic. I don't like Applied Energistics all that much, seems too OP to my liking, I prefer Logistics Pipes, but relies on Buildcraft and adds that quarry I dislike. I prefer mining in different, more interesting ways by using robots from OpenComputers for example (iso ComputerCraft with its way too low costs).

How is turtle mining more interesting when you can just download one of many quarry-like (but generally vastly more efficient) scripts?
    Also, you can make BC quarry be single-use (breaking it won't drop the block), tweak it's power usage and capability of max debth mined.

• Something I haven't seen in a while, Railcrarft and Thermal Expansion Drama. Covert wants Thermal Expansion to either "allow both input and output (of MJ, rather than just output), or not support it at all."
    This could be bad for Railcraft, making MJ and Redstone-power or whatever separate.

Low tier steam turbines were suggested, requested even a couple of times already. You are totally right. Because that little steam generation from bronze age is completely useless in electric age, people do not want to build more boilers. I would totally spam many boilers early on if I was sure that I can use those same boilers to produce EU. Low tier steam turbines should have replaced standard generators long ago.

I've seen people use those steam generators to power their entire base. Steam upgrades, and pipes all along their basic machines. Don't have to mess with voltages, makes life very easy.

• Something I haven't seen in a while, Railcrarft and Thermal Expansion Drama. Covert wants Thermal Expansion to either "allow both input and output (of MJ, rather than just output), or not support it at all."
    This could be bad for Railcraft, making MJ and Redstone-power or whatever separate.

I've seen people use those steam generators to power their entire base. Steam upgrades, and pipes all along their basic machines. Don't have to mess with voltages, makes life very easy.

I do not see in what way it would be easy. It would require at least 1 big charcoal farm, tons of steam upgrades, problems wth backflow etc. I can not imagine anyone wunning all his machines with stteam.

• How is turtle mining more interesting when you can just download one of many quarry-like (but generally vastly more efficient) scripts?
    Also, you can make BC quarry be single-use (breaking it won't drop the block), tweak it's power usage and capability of max debth mined.

I was talking about robots from OpenComputers, not turtles from ComputerCraft. Compared to CC they are more expensive, they need energy (not fuel) and tools have durability. Adding code the easy way is always an option of course, but I prefer to code myself or use any of the loot programs you can find. Quarries chunkload themselves, where robots (as well as turtles) preferably need a chunkloader. Robots tend to run out of power and shut down, having to work your way down to grab it and set it up again. Will take a while before you will be able to automate re-charging in time while on a mining mission. Of course tweaking quarries is always an option, I just find robots more interesting and they cost more time/work to maintain, especially early/mid game.

"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." (Mark Twain)
    GregTech is a wonderful time consuming challenge!
    Fun Paradise V is on it's way ...

I would be really glad to see the conversion from RF to MJ canceled. As we spoke a bunch of pages before, the highest tier engine from Buildcraft produces 6 Mj, whereas the lowest tier one from TE produce 8 Mj. Quarrys, multifarms, refinery and engines are becoming obsolete, generators can become obsolete if we are using Power converters (I had to make a choice trying Mekanism in my modpack, and it was to delete TE. Way "not easier", even if we can produce oxygen without any limit when the machine powers itself).
    Even if some people are seeing TE as the new redpower, I think this mod has to break completely every Mj support. And I hope mods will choose Mj as their energy.

How could I forget about steam upgrade? This makes sense now. But still, mehh.

• Greg,
    How the HEAT in 1.7 forge works? Is it supposed to store "heat" in blocks, or moving the heat to adjacent blocks, or so?
    I´m thinking about remaking overclockers to another idea. The machine will be working dependant on its heat, so you can use coolers, which (same way as nuclear ractors ) can lower the heat of machine to make it better ...that would include some really cool fluids, like He, N, and so on....also with facilities to make them...

I would like that they can be in cells and slowly used up, which would need also resupplying them...no coolers = slow machines, better coolers = better machines :)

• Greg,
    How the HEAT in 1.7 forge works? Is it supposed to store "heat" in blocks, or moving the heat to adjacent blocks, or so?
    I´m thinking about remaking overclockers to another idea. The machine will be working dependant on its heat, so you can use coolers, which (same way as nuclear ractors ) can lower the heat of machine to make it better ...that would include some really cool fluids, like He, N, and so on....also with facilities to make them...

I would like that they can be in cells and slowly used up, which would need also resupplying them...no coolers = slow machines, better coolers = better machines :)

As Greg mentioned before, working with heat is a bad idea because of a simple thing - not for all machines heat means bad things, on the contrary, for furnaces, for example, geat is rather good than bad.

• Even if some people are seeing TE as the new redpower, I think this mod has to break completely every Mj support. And I hope mods will choose Mj as their energy.

Most of the sheepl use RF, not MJ so other mods will choose RF over MJ.