[GregTech-6][1.7.10] Moved to Website

• Great, MORE machine casings xD
    Any chance you could program in for them to use a "front" for each machine block? Pretty please? (Or a texture for each machine block that is used only when a machine is on it)

• I think I found a bug with the small and normal Bismuth Ore (you can't mine them?) and if you mine them with a fortune pickaxe you get only dust :X

• RE: Centrifuges rumored to be bad on the lag, try showing them the lag reading with the GT Scanner. Nothing like real data to defeat superstition.

I can say there's tons of Chinese don't know about English,so that's mean nothing

GregTech SHALL rule the world !

• But I think it is better to calculate pathfinding in a different thread,

exactly, and is generally what we do on games themselves really, especially ones with many NPCs, and essentially the basic purpose of me having a 'compute system' as I intend on making a lot of cable systems, (power, item, optical, etc), all you really need is a node mesh of some sort and paths can be calculated on as many threads you want, the only concern is though that it might only work in the tick after an entity requests the path, so you may want a little more than just the pathfinding done. (eg use a power cache system that IC2 already does)

Another
    thing that might be done is to actually build a form of scheduler for
    the tile entities so that not ALL of them need a bit of processing time.

which is kinda how leaves, plants and other 'light' tileentitys already work, they are randomly chosen to tick at certain points instead of all each tick cycle, however this is random and uncontrolled, so if you wanted something more reliable and timed you'd definitely need a different trick like you somewhat described.

• GRAG

Such emotional conviction to yell at Greg

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• Greg would you mind if I made an addon for gregtech? Just been thinking that in the game you can make a ton of cool stuff with gregtech but there really isn't a point to making the stuff.

• Greg would you mind if I made an addon for gregtech? Just been thinking that in the game you can make a ton of cool stuff with gregtech but there really isn't a point to making the stuff.

There's an API, you should be good to go.

Help the Official FTB Wiki reach a billion pages! [I had to keep changing it so there ^^]

Someone should fix the gravel texture in the background. It's been years now, come on people.

• MC being tick-based should technically make massively multithreading it trivial but it would probably have to be changed from ground-up on vanilla-level.
    I can't remember what's the name of the pattern but basically each entity has two copies of it's current state:
    1) result of last tick
    a) doesn't change in this tick (const)
    b) anyone can read it with no sort of locks/mutexes (read-only)
    2) result of this tick
    a) changes during current tick
    b) only the entity itself changes it (other entities send "messages" to it, write-only)

At the end of each tick the #2 state becomes new #1 state

I can see only two problems with that kind of approach:
    1) one tries to change the state of an entity in current tick and another entity absolutely needs to get the now-changed data during the same tick.
    2) some operations take more time than one tick

Stuff taking over 1 tick need to be implemented as special cases, just as they are at the moment.
    If things can live with one tick lag then it is more than good enough and would eliminate vast majority of problems that multithreading generally has.

• yea its entirely possible to do it (and what you're describing there is commonly how you use a GPU too), however like I mentioned you would need to overhawl the entire pipeline that is minecraft for it to really work, and even then you still have the issue that mods have never been made with threading in mind, even with shadow copies you still have a heap of other events to consider.

best bet really is to just offload major compute tasks like pathfinding and large algorithms to at least one extra thread, if you really wanted to you could try your hand at openCL but last I checked that's heavy to set up on java and wouldn't be helpful for servers really.