[GregTech-6][1.7.10] Moved to Website

• 6mB/t * 20 = 120L/s
    2400L/s / 120 = 20 Boilers
    20 Boilers > 14 Boilers.

Now this assumes that Fluid Pipes actually transfer their entire capacity every second. They don't. They can store that much fluid within themselves, but only transfer half of their current capacity per second. (This is where Shutter Covers come in useful: Pipes can also backflow, resulting in considerable transport inefficiency.)
    You basically need considerably bigger pipes than you'd expect to do things, and most likely some variation in pipe sizes.

Pipes do indeed try to move half of their stored liquid every 5 ticks, thus they move more faster and less slower, so if you are trying to get a lot to move then you want to keep it 'full' and try to restrict the flow to one direction.

Thus 14 should be able to be on that pipe fine, *depending*on* how the pipe and its flow is set up. if set up inefficiently then yes, you will want a bigger pipe, but if set up properly you could probably even use a smaller pipe (remember, pipe moves half every 5 ticks, solar boiler creates 150 every 25 ticks and moves half every tick).

• So, I have a pipe system that kinda looks like this:

How could I prevent sloshing and improve L/second throughput? Right now I have a lot of stall when the steam goes to the 32v or 128v. In other words, if it's heavily charging my 32v or 128v, the boilers start backing up. But if only the 512v is running, they put out at peak capacity. During boiler backups, however, the turbines are NOT running at full capacity, not even the 128v. So it's not a problem of 'not enough turbines'.

Also, I don't generally run all the boilers at once. Usually it's either coal, or liquid boiler, at night.

Currently i'm using medium-sized steel pipes for all but a small amount of the coal boilers, which use large bronze. I'm slowly replacing it with huge steel.

Quoted from "zorn":
    People can't handle losing. Lots of new games are like this. My son's Lego games? You die and respawn on the spot, just lose a bit of money. It's made so that anyone can win, even the worst players. Like TE, or EU. They say that IC2 is 'keeping them from moving on' but can never say what that is. In reality they just failed, blew up a bunch of stuff, and their fragile egos couldn't take it so they gravitate towards mods designed to guarantee that you succeed.

• But haow?!

Quoted from "zorn":
    People can't handle losing. Lots of new games are like this. My son's Lego games? You die and respawn on the spot, just lose a bit of money. It's made so that anyone can win, even the worst players. Like TE, or EU. They say that IC2 is 'keeping them from moving on' but can never say what that is. In reality they just failed, blew up a bunch of stuff, and their fragile egos couldn't take it so they gravitate towards mods designed to guarantee that you succeed.

• Shutter covers man.
    At every point you have a branch in your path you want to put shutters on all the sides of the branch node to restrict the flow to one direction.

• K, now how do shutters work exactly? Like can it be placed directly? Or do I place a machine then a cover? Do I have to turn it on or off or automate it in some way? I've never used a shutter before. Do I need one for each machine or just each actual intersection?

Quoted from "zorn":

• K, now how do shutters work exactly? Like can it be placed directly? Or do I place a machine then a cover? Do I have to turn it on or off or automate it in some way? I've never used a shutter before. Do I need one for each machine or just each actual intersection?

Shutters are covers. You place them directly on the sides of a pipe. You only need them surrounding each actual interaction. You can switch which direction they allow flow using the screwdriver but otherwise when on a pipe they don't need any redstone or power (although you can control them with redstone if you feel insane enough)

• Every of the up to 9 used Items has a 20% chance each, you can have bad luck with that.

It is intended to eat your Stuff, because Multiblocks give a worse punishment than regular Machines.

Thanks for the response Greg. I was just reporting since the issue since it seemed out of place for your mod. This is a new game mechanic so it just needs to be made clearer what is happening. I would suggest changing the message on the control block to say something like "The product was lost due to insufficient energy. Hit with a soft hammer to restart the machine."

I would also suggest changing the tooltip for the multibock structures to indicate that more than 1 energy hatch can be used. like: "1-4x Energy Hatch(s). The tooltip makes it seem like only 1 energy hatch can be used. When I first had the Electric Blast Furnace working I had 1 4-amp zinc cable hooked up to 1 energy hatch and nothing was working. The message in the control block gave no indication that it did not have enough energy connections.

These are just a few suggestions for cosmetic changes to help non-hardcore people to understand why things are not working or why something disappeared.

• RE Sloshing in pipes: Y'all listen to Retep. The best way to prevent backflow is to drop a Shutter Cover set to Output Only on the output side of each pipe junction. The most important junctions in that diagram are the point where all Coal Boilers connect, all Solar Boilers connect, and the RC Boiler connect to the main line. Drop the cover on the output side of the side pipe(s) that connect to the main line. The second (and more important) place to drop Shutters is at the turbines. Drop a Shutter Cover on the main pipe after each turbine.

Red Line = important Shutter Cover location
    Blue Line = secondary Shutter Cover location
    EDIT: image embed failed, here's a link to it.

• Workin' on it! I isolated the three boiler inputs and that alone has increased efficiency around 30%. Amazing what a little bit of engineering can do! Just need to add the others and optimization should be complete.

Quoted from "zorn":

• Here is a good way to think about it. For any given pipe, it has neighbor pipes that are either input or output pipes. When you have a long chain of pipes, each pipe has a single input neighbor and a single output neighbor. In this case the pipes usually know what to do and perform at peak efficiency. The trouble comes whenever you have 2 or more input neighbors, or 2 or more output neighbors. In these cases you do the following:
    For 2 or more input neighbors: Place an input shutter on each input side of the pipe.
    For 2 or more output neighbors: Place an output shutter on each output side of the pipe.
    In the cases where you have 2+ input and 1 output, or 1 input and 2+ output, you don't need to put a shutter on the single input/output side.
    When you have both 2+ input and 2+ output, then you will have shutters on every connected face.

Just follow these simple rules and you'll have a slosh free pipe system.

• For every steam system, I use tanks....all sources of steam go to tank, all machines are attached to few pipes going from a tank....with 5*5 sized tank, you can have quite nice 4-8 branches for pipes and then you are limited only by vent output maximum....(but you can also make 4 vents to one pipe for bigger flow, then you should use that covers to send it all in a good direction)

And then no backflow or anything else....however, it can take more pipes to make...But it depends, how big your base is....Big plus is that you have some buffer of steam...
    my version

• red plutonium

Remember, that was green once too :P

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.