[GregTech-6][1.7.10] Moved to Website

• Updated the Q/A, and changed something in the Main Thread.

I did read that again, i still dont agree with greg conceit of "grind", where the rarity/nv of the materials are what make it grind, to me the over need of the same material is what make gregtech grind.
    Also he could had mention glass with rubber and plastic.

Check my channel on YT for finished LPs (GT4 and GT5 ), and some stuff on 1.6.4
    I am realy not good with speech and english.

• Im curious if it is possible to power IC2 machines with Gregtech power, should be possible right? Because I would like to get rid of the IC2 lossless power transportation :) in our modpack, cause it does break the Gregtech challange or the thinking required to work around the power loss and amp going through cables
    atm you can just put MFE/MFSU's near each machine, and the power going to them through glass fibre, I think It would be cool if there was a config option in gregtech which would disable all ways of IC2 to transport energy (or is that not allowed from the ic2 side?) I think that would be a pretty nice feature (and a lot of work I think, though I'm no modder by any means so not sure how hard that would be)
    ((fuuuu sioooon)) HAAAAA .... That would be more important to me though xDD (I wish SpwnX never told me....atleast not as soon as he did^^)

Edit1: SpwnX did you overlook my first Post on site 2111? or didn't you answere intentionally? just curious

• I did read that again, i still dont agree with greg conceit of "grind", where the rarity/nv of the materials are what make it grind, to me the over need of the same material is what make gregtech grind.

The rarity of Materials are a third aspect, which I would call "Adventure". So GregTech has a little bit of Adventure (since smart people know how to look for stuff), a lot of Time Consumption and almost no Grind.

• Anyone who thinks Gregtech is 'super grindy' doesn't know what the fuck 'grinding' is.

Hint: Spending hours exploring, looking for things? Not grinding, else you might as well call the Zelda series the grindiest games of all time.

Having difficulty finding rare and exotic things because you aren't looking in the right spots, or can't find them? Still not grinding.

Sitting in front of a machine, holding down your right mouse button for hours and hours to produce resources that are literally everywhere and all but jump into your inventory willingly? That's grinding. The pointless amassing of pointless stuff for no purpose or gain than because the game requires it for no justified reason.

Quoted from "zorn":
    People can't handle losing. Lots of new games are like this. My son's Lego games? You die and respawn on the spot, just lose a bit of money. It's made so that anyone can win, even the worst players. Like TE, or EU. They say that IC2 is 'keeping them from moving on' but can never say what that is. In reality they just failed, blew up a bunch of stuff, and their fragile egos couldn't take it so they gravitate towards mods designed to guarantee that you succeed.

• About nitro fuel production:

1 oil -> 1 fuel:
    conversion cost is ( 1000 / 8 ) * 256 = 32 000 eu
    fuel value is 128 000 eu
    total gain is 128 000 - 32 000 = 96 000 eu. This means that you can gain 96 000 eu from 1 oil, if you convert it to fuel.

1 fuel -> 1 nitro fuel
    1 glyceril cost is 16 bucket of oil + 1000*512 eu. If you can gain 96 000 eu from 1 oil as above then total cost is 2 048 000 eu per 1 glyceril.
    1 glyceril + 4 fuel + 30 000 eu = 2 462 000 eu. This is the total cost for creating 5 nitro fuel.
    5 nitro fuel can generate 5 * 384 000 = 1 920 000 eu.

If we divide 1 920 000 by 2 462 000 we get 0.779854. This means it is about 22% less energy efficient to use oil to produce glyceril -> nitro fuel, instead of just converting oil -> fuel and burning fuel.

oil -> fuel
    requires distillery and is simple for player.
    (oil -> fuel) + 4 (oil -> glyceril) -> 5 nitro fuel
    requires distillery and chemical reactor. Is not so simple.

My question is - why more complex processing is less energy efficient? I would expect that player get more energy for effort invested.

Edit. It seems that you can get glyceril from ender pearls. Total processing cost is ( ( 13200/5 ) / 4 ) + 81000 / 4 = 20 910 eu per 1 glyceril (that's a lot cheaper than ~2 million eu from oil).

So, to conclude: spending oil for glyceril makes no sense. Spending ender pearl for glyceril is a good way to get lot's of EU needed at MV stage of the game.

• I did read that again, i still dont agree with greg conceit of "grind", where the rarity/nv of the materials are what make it grind, to me the over need of the same material is what make gregtech grind.

IMO grinding is when you look at something you have to do in minecraft and know exactly what you have to do. no problem to solve. The road ahead is clearly marked, you just have to get moving and get it done.

Good game design should make me say 'huh, how am I going to do this?' For me the few times this happens is with pipe systems (buildcraft) and the ic2 e-net. Applied energistics (1) and RF power are the epitome of 'grind'.

I remember in 1.4 setting up 12 generators and hooking them up via power converters to some basic ic2 machines and some TE machines. one machine would use a trickle of power though, and it meant that each time it used 10 eu, all 12 of my generators would burn 1 piece of charcoal, and i was using much more power than I needed to.

So I had to figure out how to get the generators to not waste that excess energy. Took me a couple days.

In my opinion the ic2 e-net is what keeps modded mc from being mostly Grind.

• Yes, an Addon in work.

The Tank is variable in Size and Material used.

From 3x3x3 to 11x11x11.

Can be made from:

Edges | Sides | Cap per Block
    Planks + Glass ( 4 )
    Bronze + Glass ( 16 )
    Steel + Glass ( 24 )
    Stainless Steel + Reinforced Glass ( 32 )
    Titanium + Reinforced Glass ( 40 )
    Tungstensteel + Reinforced Glass ( 48 )

No Energy needed.

At last that is the Plan, i'm not done yet. Balancing also might change.

• I plan to make the Controlblock an universal one and let it take the texture of the block next to it like the hatches to.

Volume with the frame.

So the smallest tank is 108 Buckets (Wood 3x3x3)
    The biggest is 63888 Buckets (Tungstensteel 11x11x11)

Remember that Railcrafttanks need only 1 plate per block. so 386 Iron for an max size (9x9x9) tank.

GT Casings need 6 Ingots per Block. So an 9x9x9 Tank needs 546 Ingots + 2 Hatches + Controller

• Anyone who has been playing 1.7 for awhile... any guess how often you find a dead area when scouting for veins? It seems a vein like cassiterite would try to spawn at y90 and be in a flat swamp that doesnt rise above y70, and you would get no vein. I only played default gt ore gen for a week or two.

If you checked for say, 10 or 20 veins, how often do you find a 'dead' one?

• Anyone who has been playing 1.7 for awhile... any guess how often you find a dead area when scouting for veins? It seems a vein like cassiterite would try to spawn at y90 and be in a flat swamp that doesnt rise above y70, and you would get no vein. I only played default gt ore gen for a week or two.

If you checked for say, 10 or 20 veins, how often do you find a 'dead' one?

That depends on the hight of the Biome you are in.

But normaly i would say about 1/4 of the veins are generated in the air.

From my exploration, I would say that the odds of finding a 'dead vein' are a little lower than that, but this is all contingent on you getting your search grid exactly right. If your search grid is offset by a chunk, you're going to have a much rougher time finding ores.

The rarity of Materials are a third aspect, which I would call "Adventure". So GregTech has a little bit of Adventure (since smart people know how to look for stuff), a lot of Time Consumption and almost no Grind.

When you use this as your logic, it becomes VERY surprising that Agrarian Skies, Crash Landing, and to an extent Running Red (all of which are pretty much pure-form grind) are more highly regarded than GregTech, and yet GT is the one vilified for being too grindy.
    It would explain why Material Energy Cubed is popular though, because it puts some of that exploration element back in.

Ooh shiny.

• Does someone use biomes o plenty? if yes , could you maybe send me your configs? I would like to check why in my configs the world doesn't seem to have much biome variety (which sucks)
    I did disable some biomes where I think they look ugly and don't add anything to the game, but I haven't found any Cold biomes, just a littlebit of taiga without any snow etc. (mainly looking for Winter/Ice Hives), does the scanning with the OD/OV scanner work on 5.05.13? and I don't mean on kirara^^ I know it does there but I would like to know if it does for the normal GT version.

• By my testing yesterday, using IC2 #650, GT 5.05.13, in SSP, the OD scanner displayed GT Ores and, somewhat strangely, the drops that you would get from GT Small Ores, however the OV Scanner did not display any ores.

• Does someone use biomes o plenty? if yes , could you maybe send me your configs? I would like to check why in my configs the world doesn't seem to have much biome variety (which sucks)
    I did disable some biomes where I think they look ugly and don't add anything to the game, but I haven't found any Cold biomes, just a littlebit of taiga without any snow etc. (mainly looking for Winter/Ice Hives), does the scanning with the OD/OV scanner work on 5.05.13? and I don't mean on kirara^^ I know it does there but I would like to know if it does for the normal GT version.

Well, it depends on seed I think, for my world (nearly random seed, no BoP, I got no deserts...:P

• I found on a old wiki, that the OV scanner scan 9x9 blocks around the player. Is that still true? Because I was standing in exact center of 12x12 area actually, at level 40, and the OV scanner still showed some bauxite and aluminium ore, which it shouldn't since that ores spawn at minimum level 50. So my guess is that it scans further than 9x9.