[GregTech-6][1.7.10] Moved to Website

• That is very good :D. But when you have over 100 mods it becomes a problem...

It's designed for mods, i had over 150 mods back then, TT made it run faster than anything you ever saw, ever. Ultra big industrial setups didn't load server over 10% rock solid 20TPS. 150 mods 4 people running around and generating map, 0 lag! 4 way terrain generation didn't even register on tick rate and server was smooth as hell. Every chunk ran in separate thread, every damn thing is threaded it even patched most mods to run threaded including GT. There was no wait for anything!

• So yeah I run a public server that has no restrictions. The IP comes pre loaded in a public pack that is downloaded around 1000 times a day. Players tend to do some dumb ass shit but even the new to gregtech players that have no clue at all. I have not witnessed the lag described above when profiling. Not saying its not a issue but a general rule is you cannot fix stupid there is just so many ways they will surprise you to cause issues with TPS.

• Can we have a "read only" accaccess then? The GUI opens but you can't take/insert anything, just check if the machine status (items inside, tank levels, is processing, has energy on battery...).

That just sounds like it'll cause a whole bunch of confusion and "halp my machin is borken i cant into items"

Now you see me, now you don't...

• That just sounds like it'll cause a whole bunch of confusion and "halp my machin is borken i cant into items"

If I had a fitting Pipe at Home, I would have posted a Foto of a Washing Machine being obstructed by that pipe leading directly into the Window of it, just as a showcase of "No GUI visible".

In addition to that, you should actually not even be able to look into the GUI from anywhere else but the Front (and in some cases the Top) of the Machine, and since those Faces are usually not obstructed due to not being automatable in the first place, your Arguments are even more useless.

Also, no matter how many Arguments you throw in to "loosen" the Policy of not letting you look into obstructed Stuff, I won't do it.

• It's designed for mods, i had over 150 mods back then, TT made it run faster than anything you ever saw, ever. Ultra big industrial setups didn't load server over 10% rock solid 20TPS. 150 mods 4 people running around and generating map, 0 lag! 4 way terrain generation didn't even register on tick rate and server was smooth as hell. Every chunk ran in separate thread, every damn thing is threaded it even patched most mods to run threaded including GT. There was no wait for anything!

Hah, I like how your framerate is 5 in that last picture while the server is at 20tps.

RIP, TickThreading by Nallar.

ABANDONED. Only pain and misery lies this way.
    DISCONTINUED
    This was a bad idea. It is possible, but takes far too much dev time and is entirely repetitive work fixing the same concurrency issues in different mods.
    You will burn out if you try to do this!

• I did try using TT on a small server I was working on a year ago. It looked like a good concept, but when I put it in it murdered our TPS and caused massive desynch issues in movement and block breaking. (The server was running an updated version of the FTB 152wgt test pack, so it was rather heavily modded.) Rather incomprehensibly, the one thing that did improve our TPS (after removing TT) was Somnia :huh:
    I agree with that assessment: good in theory, next to impossible in implementation in the current modding scene, where even Lex Manos won't touch that idea, and discourages anyone else from trying.

In order to get Minecraft multithreaded, Mojang would have to start it. If Mojang made Minecraft multithread itself, MCP would have to compensate, Forge would have to compensate, and the modders would have to compensate. But until Mojang does it, the most multithreading we will have will be for peripheral things, like Forge's passive chunk generation.

• If I had a fitting Pipe at Home, I would have posted a Foto of a Washing Machine being obstructed by that pipe leading directly into the Window of it, just as a showcase of "No GUI visible".

In addition to that, you should actually not even be able to look into the GUI from anywhere else but the Front (and in some cases the Top) of the Machine, and since those Faces are usually not obstructed due to not being automatable in the first place, your Arguments are even more useless.

Also, no matter how many Arguments you throw in to "loosen" the Policy of not letting you look into obstructed Stuff, I won't do it.

I'll go another route then. Allow us to use the GregTech sensor (NC2) to read all possible information of a machine.

Energy stored (includes battery storage), items (names and amount) on both input and output slots, fluid type and amount of both input and output slots, is fluid/item auto-export active, current energy usage (when processing an item), is the machine energy/steam supply proper, etc.

Cause just progress is a bit disappointing.

• It may be a bit too tough to implement, but it would be triple fucking wicked if there were toggleable options for different display methods. Like power as EU, power as %, and power as a graphical bar. Yay widgets?

Quoted from "zorn":
    People can't handle losing. Lots of new games are like this. My son's Lego games? You die and respawn on the spot, just lose a bit of money. It's made so that anyone can win, even the worst players. Like TE, or EU. They say that IC2 is 'keeping them from moving on' but can never say what that is. In reality they just failed, blew up a bunch of stuff, and their fragile egos couldn't take it so they gravitate towards mods designed to guarantee that you succeed.

• I'd like to point out that this is neither a new invention, nor viable. Brown's gass, hydrogen chain reconstruction, and catalytic electrolysis have all been done to death since the 40's and never panned out.

Besides, we can already electrolyze water in Gregtech into Oxygen and Hydrogen, then burn the hydrogen. Or better than the above, add carbon to reconstruct methane. Mmm, natural gas. Wish that were viable IRL. But hey, we're working on it! (We can do it already it just costs more than the gas could ever be worth. We don't have an easy way to construct even simple hydrocarbons.)

However the UoA may be close to a way to synthetically construct nitrocarbon chains that could be used to enrich existing liquid fuels. That could be good. (Think Nitrodiesel from Gregtech, except without the glyceryl step. Also totally different, chemically accurate, and actually possible. If successful it would reduce fuel consumption 5-12% across the board for all diesels and octane-based gasoline, while giving a good 15-20% boost in energy output! All without the need for petroleum! Sometimes the answer isn't to change horses mid-stream, it's to streamline the horse.)

Edit: Further research actually shows that not only is the technology behind this 'sunfire fuel' old as hell, but even the device is! The technology was invented in 1925 and several dozen machines put into effect in 1927 and 1928 respectively. However due to the need for a catalyst (which this article doesn't mention, and believe me, it IS chemically required) it basically still needs fuel to make the fuel... at the time they used various light hydrycarbon fuels such as kerosine and propane, although methane is a more viable method (that is not yet, to my knowledge, perfected). Due to the cost and the fact fuel (albeit different fuel, fuel nonetheless) still need to be transported, any perceieved benefit is actually invalidated. It will subsequently be relegated only to remote locations where reduced transportation costs are greater than the subsequently massive cost of making this 'sunfire fuel'. It should also be noted that said 'sunfire fuel' is still NOT comparable to diesel or gasoline, having a much lower energy density (~45%, compared to ~15% for straight methane), meaning it will require roughly twice as much of said fuel to produce an equivocal amount of power compared to octane. This may result in it being unviable for use in actual vehicles, especially military ones, and more suitable for small-scale power generation such as temporary encampments. It's neat, but it's not half what it advertises. Such is usually the story for alternative fuels.

Also, another continued conclusion: Methane is God. The UK and Ireland learned this, and they're doing rather well for it, all things considered.

Quoted from "zorn":
    People can't handle losing. Lots of new games are like this. My son's Lego games? You die and respawn on the spot, just lose a bit of money. It's made so that anyone can win, even the worst players. Like TE, or EU. They say that IC2 is 'keeping them from moving on' but can never say what that is. In reality they just failed, blew up a bunch of stuff, and their fragile egos couldn't take it so they gravitate towards mods designed to guarantee that you succeed.

The post was edited 3 times, last by axlegear ().

• Greetings!

Would it be possible to have multiple small pipe go through the same block? To clarify, I would I like if it was possible to have 4 400L/tick pipes in a block rather then 1 1600L/tick or 1 400L/tick. It would make transporting multiple fluids so much cleaner. Thank you for letting me know if it's even possible!

• Btw Greg, anything that starts with "XBONY2_" in the ore dictionary is a private prefix. Just letting you know :P

Help the Official FTB Wiki reach a billion pages! [I had to keep changing it so there ^^]

Someone should fix the gravel texture in the background. It's been years now, come on people.

• For the Record, in 1.8, the MetaData thing is no longer possible. You can use it on Items (obviously for damaging Pickaxes and Stuff), but you can no longer use it on Blocks.

You can use the equivalent. Several vanilla blocks have "variant" states. For example, dirt is minecraft:dirt with variant=dirt. Podzol is minecraft:dirt with variant=podzol, rather than being minecraft:podzol. It's even more dumb than before.

Sure, you can't open a GUI from a Side, which is blocked by something, no matter how small that something is. Try putting a Chair in front of your Oven, and open the Oven from that obstructed Side. You can see the Oven handle, you can touch it even, but you cannot pull that Handle without removing the Chair first (or moving it away in the process of pulling).

How come I can open a GUI from a side with a torch in front of it?

Also, the current solution is more like "you can see the oven handle, but you can't reach it for some reason, even though the chair doesn't look like it's stopping you from reaching it".

Another inconsistency is that I can place blocks behind a torch, but not behind a tiny fluid pipe.

Btw Greg, anything that starts with "XBONY2_" in the ore dictionary is a private prefix. Just letting you know :P

Greg will just tell you to use xbony2: instead (with a : rather than a _)

Disappointed with the bugs and nerfedness of AtomicStryker Corp's Advanced Machines, and the unupdatedness of Snyke's Enterprises?
    Need low-lag renewable power?
    Come to ImmTech Intragalactical this thread for free UUM!

Note: UUM may stand for Unnerfed Unbuggy Updated Machines and may not be actual UUM. The extra U was lost due to a bit error.
    Battery snot included.

• Btw Greg, anything that starts with "XBONY2_" in the ore dictionary is a private prefix. Just letting you know :P

Use "XBONY:" or "XBONY2:" instead. And why is there a 2?

The ":" automatically makes it a private Prefix.

How come I can open a GUI from a side with a torch in front of it?

Also, the current solution is more like "you can see the oven handle, but you can't reach it for some reason, even though the chair doesn't look like it's stopping you from reaching it".

Another inconsistency is that I can place blocks behind a torch, but not behind a tiny fluid pipe.

A Torch is something that can be "removed" for a second to open it, just like a Chair, gah, damnit all those stupid arguments. I am still not going to do it, even though that is a valid Point. I will either do a Check for things in front of the Block Sides for things like Torches, or I will do nothing.

• Use "XBONY:" or "XBONY2:" instead. And why is there a 2?

The ":" automatically makes it a private Prefix.

A Torch is something that can be "removed" for a second to open it, just like a Chair, gah, damnit all those stupid arguments. I am still not going to do it, even though that is a valid Point. I will either do a Check for things in front of the Block Sides for things like Torches, or I will do nothing.

If I post a video of me at a workplace reaching around, behind, etc. both pipes AND cables... would you do it then? Because I will. I totally will. I'm gonna!

(JFYI: Whether it was the maintenance department of a pork processing plant or an industrial electrician at a powerplant in Clinton, IL- manual labor sucks. And both involved gratuitous amounts of reaching and working past these objects as an abject requirement.)

Edit: Also, regarding random torches in a fucking factory/laboratory.. when are we gonna have fire-induced explosions because I decided to light a fag next to a drum of hydrogen?

Edit2 - Revenge of the Edit: Ever worked in a flash suit? It's kinda creepy being in a suffocating crunchy suit that's designed to keep said cables from flash-frying your electrically conductive ass into a very dead, burnt pile of crispy critter. Because you don't fuck with 900+ volts. God that job was anxiety-inducing. If you forgot to remove a watch you could feel the electromagnetic pull from 50+ feet away on 14.4kV lines overhead, followed by your hair standing on end. Man, you never, NEVER want to experience that. It's the scariest moment you can imagine before BLAM, dead. Thank god there's at least that much warning. And those flash suits? They're not effective at 14.4kV and up if you get too close. Electricity will ruin your shit.

Quoted from "zorn":

The post was edited 2 times, last by axlegear ().

• Hey Greg, minor thing:
    All Vanilla food items can be centrifuged into Methane, but none of your newly added food items can. Intended, overlooked, or postponed?