[GregTech-6][1.7.10] Moved to Website

• If you're getting metal plates the TFC way and with TFC mining, BBF is way more expensive. Startup cost buys you 'automation'(a gui that operates longer than 60 seconds without player input)'.

Edit: Ehh, maybe not; it's a tech shortcut (need wrought iron in a bloomery to make TFC Blast Furnace). Still, I think it's harder to build than the bloomery.

• And I said 3 times that it is intentional to not screw up TFC with that cheap thing.

The problem is that we have only coal from the TFC. Basic generation of TFC plus the missing ore from GT. Do not want to duplicate the coal. If you think of low value, can make the recipe more expensive for coal.

• The problem is that we have only coal from the TFC. Basic generation of TFC plus the missing ore from GT. Do not want to duplicate the coal. If you think of low value, can make the recipe more expensive for coal.

While the BBF is more expensive Metal wise, it is way too cheap effort wise. It lets you leave your Steel unattended for hours without any downside, and this downside is the point of TFC.

I think I need to disable the BBF Controller Block if TFC is installed, just to point this out.

• so I was thinking of a couple things that would be awesome in Gregtech, although likely difficult to implement.

First, an electric elevator. Kinda like the old magnetic totem pole. You build a vertical shaft which conducts power (available in all the various electrical flavors!) out of a matching voltage wire and some thingummy rail for this purpose. You then place an 'elevator car' in the bottom machine (controller) block (of which one is at top and bottom, adjacent to the rail) and every time it reaches 2048 EU (arbitrary number for example), it raises up one block, thus allowing for uselessly slow ULV or alarmingly fast HV versions. I get so tired of climbing 220 block ladders! (My base. It is very wow.)

Which lead to the idea of an electric monorail that would work similarly. So at ULV you're better of walking, but at HV it'd be fast. And at IV it would be a Shinkansen/Mag-Lev and cruise at server-chunk-crippling speeds. Could have the 'embark/disembark' configured with a screwdriver to automatically leave when another cart arrives, to leave immediately (no stop), to stop until made to go manually, or leave automatically every 30 seconds. Would be nice. I can already picture a ski-lift style automatic transit system. You know, like how Railcraft is supposed to do, but less annoying and more power-hungry?

Quoted from "zorn":
    People can't handle losing. Lots of new games are like this. My son's Lego games? You die and respawn on the spot, just lose a bit of money. It's made so that anyone can win, even the worst players. Like TE, or EU. They say that IC2 is 'keeping them from moving on' but can never say what that is. In reality they just failed, blew up a bunch of stuff, and their fragile egos couldn't take it so they gravitate towards mods designed to guarantee that you succeed.

• so I was thinking of a couple things that would be awesome in Gregtech, although likely difficult to implement.

First, an electric elevator. Kinda like the old magnetic totem pole. You build a vertical shaft which conducts power (available in all the various electrical flavors!) out of a matching voltage wire and some thingummy rail for this purpose. You then place an 'elevator car' in the bottom machine (controller) block (of which one is at top and bottom, adjacent to the rail) and every time it reaches 2048 EU (arbitrary number for example), it raises up one block, thus allowing for uselessly slow ULV or alarmingly fast HV versions. I get so tired of climbing 220 block ladders! (My base. It is very wow.)

Which lead to the idea of an electric monorail that would work similarly. So at ULV you're better of walking, but at HV it'd be fast. And at IV it would be a Shinkansen/Mag-Lev and cruise at server-chunk-crippling speeds. Could have the 'embark/disembark' configured with a screwdriver to automatically leave when another cart arrives, to leave immediately (no stop), to stop until made to go manually, or leave automatically every 30 seconds. Would be nice. I can already picture a ski-lift style automatic transit system. You know, like how Railcraft is supposed to do, but less annoying and more power-hungry?

I would love that, I purposely building my bases in a flat manner, because verticality gets irritating fast, having something like that would solve that problem.
    It just needs to be easily controlled, so it doesn't to start without a player and would wait for him as an option or have them ongoing ones.

So then why does it seem more GT players are for hand mining only? I would think that automating a rail line to move ores to your base is more fun than doing it by hand (like just filling up backpacks and hauling stuff back manually).

Also I'd argue that the contraption has to be challenging to make. Simply automating things is no fun for me. Compare a pipe system made with BC vs ender io pipes. There is no challenge with enderio.

Players don't use minecarts as often for mining purposes, because they not very fast, they do not offer a significant boost of speed causing a player to experience same trip for many-many times, especially to what some other items can do in a same mod pack.
    And they do require a lot of resources and effort to put in to them.
    And ones rails go far enough, carts won't be able to reach your base with some sort of chunk loaders helping them. Which is also some what meta breaking in my opinion for many players.
    But depending on set up more of this chunk loaders can cause a quick creep on a server, as a lot rails can stay loaded just for occasional cart to go by, though there are a chunk loader cart, but loading/unloading chunks also a heavy task and may cause problems if to many carts doing it at same time.
    Oh, almost forgot third problem with RailCraft is retarted crafting recipes in it's vanilla form. I have remade and tiered most of recipes from RailCraft to use items from other mods so recipes aren't as blatantly stupid.
    I will not forgive it for requiring slime balls, full stop. They just to much chance based.
    And there also another problem with all that, that GT requires a large variation of resources, and building carts to every vein which player might need, usually just not feasible, as veins can end up being on quite a large distance from each other and player base. Just a note, current "ticketing" system in RC are rather annoying, it seems to only work with locomotives, it would be better if we would have a conductor minecart which could be used as part of a train to give a train a ticket definition.

Thats why most people hand mine. It just significantly simpler. Though minecarts are cool, they aren't good enough for most people and can get expensive easily.

Then again a BC quarry vs a redpower frame quarry shows BC also has it's share of Easy blocks :)

Nostalgia warning!
    But yes, redpower frames were significantly more interesting then BC ones can ever be. But thats the past now, and all amazing contraptions which people made with them are gone now.
    Closest mod we got currently is funky locomotion, but it doesn't have other items to nicely integrate stuff together to build a good quary. We do have ProjectRed/Immbis' Mods' for logic, but we missing a non cheaty way to deliver power to existing block breakers.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Dr.Terr ().

• That is exactly what I think is insane. WHile everyone is screaming for automation (we even got industrial potion brewing now

But still, most of the guys prefet manual mining. THere literally is 0 progress made on any contraptions useful to identifying/searching for ore/ore extraction.
    I remember the times of building RP quarries, damn, that still were only quarries but it was so much fun. With this new "reinforcement" on rail usage, I am propably going to use the ic2 miner again with 2 anchors, 1 for the miner and 1 for the train driving the ressources to my base and providing the miner with energy. Hell, I will make an ore processing factory + station.

Are you agreeing with me? Not sure I understand.

My idea to make it hard to carry ores is to use a mod that restricts your inventory slots and then only allow forestry backpacks but not the miners backpack. So imagine you can only see 8 open slots in your inventory. You can use backpacks for supplies but it's impossible to carry ores around. This would let you carry tools, pipes whatever but not ores. This promotes rail lines.

Does gt5 promote rail lines? From what I saw people were just backpacking ores home.

• So then why does it seem more GT players are for hand mining only? I would think that automating a rail line to move ores to your base is more fun than doing it by hand (like just filling up backpacks and hauling stuff back manually).

Also I'd argue that the contraption has to be challenging to make. Simply automating things is no fun for me. Compare a pipe system made with BC vs ender io pipes. There is no challenge with enderio.

Players don't use minecarts as often for mining purposes, because they not very fast, they do not offer a significant boost of speed causing a player to experience same trip for many-many times, especially to what some other items can do in a same mod pack.
    And they do require a lot of resources and effort to put in to them.
    And ones rails go far enough, carts won't be able to reach your base with some sort of chunk loaders helping them. Which is also some what meta breaking in my opinion for many players.
    But depending on set up more of this chunk loaders can cause a quick creep on a server, as a lot rails can stay loaded just for occasional cart to go by, though there are a chunk loader cart, but loading/unloading chunks also a heavy task and may cause problems if to many carts doing it at same time.
    Oh, almost forgot third problem with RailCraft is retarted crafting recipes in it's vanilla form. I have remade and tiered most of recipes from RailCraft to use items from other mods so recipes aren't as blatantly stupid.
    I will not forgive it for requiring slime balls, full stop. They just to much chance based.
    And there also another problem with all that, that GT requires a large variation of resources, and building carts to every vein which player might need, usually just not feasible, as veins can end up being on quite a large distance from each other and player base. Just a note, current "ticketing" system in RC are rather annoying, it seems to only work with locomotives, it would be better if we would have a conductor minecart which could be used as part of a train to give a train a ticket definition.

Thats why most people hand mine. It just significantly simpler. Though minecarts are cool, they aren't good enough for most people and can get expensive easily.

Then again a BC quarry vs a redpower frame quarry shows BC also has it's share of Easy blocks :)

Nostalgia warning!
    But yes, redpower frames were significantly more interesting then BC ones can ever be. But thats the past now, and all amazing contraptions which people made with them are gone now.
    Closest mod we got currently is funky locomotion, but it doesn't have other items to nicely integrate stuff together to build a good quary. We do have ProjectRed/Immbis' Mods' for logic, but we missing a non cheaty way to deliver power to existing block breakers.

• HALP
    I just wanted to scan my Forestry thingies in GT scanner and I found the problem. I put honey drops into liquid extractor, and it made Honey liquid , HOWEVER in Scanner it needs ANOTHER honey liquid, which has no texxture.....
    How to change that? In unification, there is nothing called HONEY.... ;(;(;(

• Terr, I wanted to avoid every forestry thing, so I used GT fluid extractor and GT scanner...and I got liquid honey but it does not fit into scanner....so the pure GT way does not work :/

• There is one mod I can think of that allows for some form of energy-consuming large-scale automated mining rig, and that's MFFSv3. Set up a Forcefield Generator with a Destruction Module (or whatever it's called) to auto-mine some area (ideally a 1-block thick square below it), then set up a pair of Force Manipulators as a high-tech Inchworm Drive. It can be fully automated, and particularly with a little config editing, it consumes plenty of energy. The one issue with it is that you need a reliable way of getting energy to it and items, but even for that, I can think of a Railcraft solution. (4 Forcefield Generators set with Stabilization Modules, to lay down sets of stone and track, then an Item Loader / Unloader pairing to load mined items into carts and unload fuel into an onboard storage.) Its a weird schizo-tech solution, but it could be done.

• @ PaladinOne
    That solution would be fine with non GT mods, as I doubt that it would get anything useful most of a time, and it quite likely to not pay of in a week of play time. And considering that would require constant supply of rails and energy, that contraption might be draining more resources them supplying.
    With other mods resources spread more or less evenly.
    But GT have veins rather spread out and getting to vein you need can take a long while, if ever on a straight path.
    This will starve player for many resources, forcing him to resort to hand mine missing resources. And filling his base with resources he possible have no use for most of a time.

• Hello

Can someone help me with the config files. I want to change some recipe back to vanilla like bucket iron pick etc. but I cat find any related config file.
    The whole dynamic donfig file is empty.

• Rotarycraft Boring machines work well for interesting (interesting boring machine...) quarrying. It takes some effort to power them to do real work beyond horizontal 'core sampling.'

• Are you agreeing with me? Not sure I understand.

My idea to make it hard to carry ores is to use a mod that restricts your inventory slots and then only allow forestry backpacks but not the miners backpack. So imagine you can only see 8 open slots in your inventory. You can use backpacks for supplies but it's impossible to carry ores around. This would let you carry tools, pipes whatever but not ores. This promotes rail lines.

Does gt5 promote rail lines? From what I saw people were just backpacking ores home.

Yeah, I completely agree with you.
    And no, gt5 did not promote rail lines of any sort really.

• at feature is configurable. You do not have to like it. For example

I know, but the author promoted it like was a big thing, so people feel theyre challenged by it. Dont underestimated the power of "dare".

What does the easy-working config for integration with transportation mods hast to do with stuff like that?

I said it long ago and still happens, it seens to me , that the author create and tweak his mod based on what will people will do to avoid/bypass any new "dificult" he put on it, wich breaks the mod when it is on itself. Other mods should be an option not a need.

Just curious, what do you think of the gt mechanics like the plates for iron tools and 2 planks per log? Is that also fake difficulty and 'tct'?

Long ago this mod was suposed to follow an IRL pattern, so it made sense that we would require plates for tools, 2 planks could be a fake, but later you would get the normal amount or even more (rip ind sawmill), it had an advance on process, while just limiting how much you can carry is static.

My idea to make it hard to carry ores is to use a mod that restricts your inventory slots and then only allow forestry backpacks but not the miners backpack.

That is a good example of how to do it, how to change it, if the promoted feature was to allow less carry of especific resorces, like ore blocks only 8, crushed 16 and dust 32 (see that i am doubling the amount because the product use less space), but on GT a good way of doing it , would be crating your ores block before moving out, but since the limit is hard set on everything, that machine would not work.

One point of me posting this things up, is that for now it is an option, but never forget what the author did on the past, what he forced on us, like iron doors, only when vanilla decided to make it go even more , he gave up. Just think if he decided to change filled cells to not stack anymore, how that would mess your game?

Check my channel on YT for finished LPs (GT4 and GT5 ), and some stuff on 1.6.4
    I am realy not good with speech and english.