[GregTech-6][1.7.10] Moved to Website

• Hello Greg,

It was much appreciated you added overlays to items/materials/ textures.

Could you please do so for blocks as well?

blocks/materials/*_OVERLAY.png

I am contributor member for Soartex Modded https://github.com/Soartex-Modded/

Soartex ore style has some cracks shadows. Gems and shiny ores would benefit a bit of glow/shine/flare.

An block material overlay would be the perfect exact place to add these missing effects.

As of now, Gregtech Soartex ores looks a bit flat/tarnished or off-style compared to vanilla or other mods ores.

The post was edited 1 time, last by leagris ().

• The GT Ore Blocks are Rock Texture (most of them being from another Mod and therefore unpredictable) + Colorized Overlay. Adding such an Overlay would make the Ores look terrible on some occassions (for example the differently colored UB Ores, which all have to use the same Overlay), and adding Textures for every single combination of Rock->Stone would end up in the File Size dramatically increasing.

I will see what is doable, but I wont promise anything.

• The GT Ore Blocks are Rock Texture (most of them being from another Mod and therefore unpredictable) + Colorized Overlay. Adding such an Overlay would make the Ores look terrible on some occassions (for example the differently colored UB Ores, which all have to use the same Overlay), and adding Textures for every single combination of Rock->Stone would end up in the File Size dramatically increasing.

I will see what is doable, but I wont promise anything.

Thank you for looking at it.

Here is how I see it implemented. (very similar to item material rendering)

Sample assets for /assets/gregtech/textures/blocks/materials/DIAMOND

/assets/gregtech/textures/blocks/materials/DIAMOND/ore.png

/assets/gregtech/textures/blocks/materials/DIAMOND/ore_OVERLAY.png

Samples of rendering using your material colors:

Diamond ore rendered on vanilla stone:

Diamond ore rendered on vanilla sandstone (yes it is unlikely with standard worldgen.cfg):

Diamond ore rendered on Gregtech red granite:

Diamond ore rendered on Gregtech black granite:

• Greg, for every material type that has an ore, (SHINY, METALLIC, whatever) also accompany the folder with each default background stone texture for that ore.

I know getting the texture for stone, end stone, netherrack etc is convenient due to it always matching the texture pack, but it would make things like that possible WITHOUT having to use alpha overlay.

You could have the stone texture with the cracks in it in the ore folder and just overlay the colorized ore on top of that.

Really that's only end stone, stone, netherrack, black/red granite, bedrock, sandstone for each no? The vanilla stone texture is LITERALLY 233 bytes large. We're talking a finished product only being a single MB/not even a MB larger.

• Greg, for every material type that has an ore, (SHINY, METALLIC, whatever) also accompany the folder with each default background stone texture for that ore.

An overlay is required to render shines effects. It can render shadows as well. So my wild guess was the OVERLAY as used for item materials could be replicated for block rendering as well, especially ores.

Doing this would only add an additional texture layer for each material category.

What's needed for Greg is to program some custom block rendering or expand the current one like this:

- Render base block texture
    - Render hued material icon atop
    - Render overlay atop ← This is the currently missing part

So it is basically handling a 2nd overlay as current ore material icon is already an overlay.

Minecraft rendering already can handle multiple overlays. The block break animation is rendering atop anything.

Now I'll stop speculating. I am not a developer, and don't know Forge API, LWJGL or if anything I mentioned is possible.

• Found out that greg 6.x doesnt override vanilla and bc recipes making them more expensive by defalut.

My question is: how to enable hardcore recipes?

• The thing is, that with overlays there is need only one block of ore for each ore. And not one ore for each ore and for each stone type. Except other ore types as sand ores (because they have other break conditions etc)
    look, how PFAA has its ores. One oreblock but it can do all stone types.

[NOT-FIXED] GT Blocks not being able to use Alpha in Textures. No, it is not possible to fix that shit. Vanilla Rendering causes Textures to render in random order due to strange glitches, as soon as I enable Alpha rendering half-transparent overlays impossible.

Lol greg

• Lol greg

Greg, may be worth looking at this if you have not already:
    http://www.minecraftforge.net/…ltiple_Pass_Render_Blocks

Keywords:
    customRenderer: I guess Greg is already having one for Ores tile entities
    renderPass: render code can an need to be aware of which render pass it is

Then, it look like it is possible to have a block render in multiple passes.
    It look like a mean of handling an alpha layer given it is drawn in the proper render pass :)

• Guess what does NOT work if you have multiple Textures to be rendered at the same location. It renders ALL THREE Textures in RANDOM order depending on from where you look. I could bet it is caused by Z-Fighting. Strangely it does not get caused when I render it in pass 0, only when I render two or more things in Pass 1.

• Guess what does NOT work if you have multiple Textures to be rendered at the same location. It renders ALL THREE Textures in RANDOM order depending on from where you look. I could bet it is caused by Z-Fighting. Strangely it does not get caused when I render it in pass 0, only when I render two or more things in Pass 1.

Then just scale each layer up a bit to avoid z-fighting. PFAA seems to have alpha transparent overlays just fine.

Wild thought:
    Couldn't you load and perform composition of all 3 texture icons into a single layer raster image and get it rendered in one pass or as vanilla textures?

If you could off-load low-level compositing to LWJGL, it would not cause too much CPU load either, doing on-the-fly compositing into a single destination layer.
    Ores are opaque, it is not like you need to render an actual block transparency.

Z-Fighting is because it adds layered vertices at same exact coordinates.

Other mods such as AppliedEnergistics storage monitors or JABBA Better barrels are fine rendering items over a textured background, though JABBA have some z-fighting issue when displaying on top.
    It may be worth looking at AE2 Render code as it look like a robust mod from a very clever guy :)

• That gets me to another Problem. How can I make sure it works properly if this shit is happening?

Java 101: :D
    http://docs.oracle.com/javase/…tsandbolts/datatypes.html

float: The float data type is a single-precision 32-bit IEEE 754 floating point. Its range of values is beyond the scope of this discussion, but is specified in the Floating-Point Types, Formats, and Values section of the Java Language Specification. As with the recommendations for byte and short, use a float (instead of double) if you need to save memory in large arrays of floating point numbers. This data type should never be used for precise values, such as currency. For that, you will need to use the java.math.BigDecimal class instead. Numbers and Strings covers BigDecimal and other useful classes provided by the Java platform.

double: The double data type is a double-precision 64-bit IEEE 754 floating point. Its range of values is beyond the scope of this discussion, but is specified in the Floating-Point Types, Formats, and Values section of the Java Language Specification. For decimal values, this data type is generally the default choice. As mentioned above, this data type should never be used for precise values, such as currency.

• Java 101: :D
    http://docs.oracle.com/javase/…tsandbolts/datatypes.html

float: The float data type is a single-precision 32-bit IEEE 754 floating point. Its range of values is beyond the scope of this discussion, but is specified in the Floating-Point Types, Formats, and Values section of the Java Language Specification. As with the recommendations for byte and short, use a float (instead of double) if you need to save memory in large arrays of floating point numbers. This data type should never be used for precise values, such as currency. For that, you will need to use the java.math.BigDecimal class instead. Numbers and Strings covers BigDecimal and other useful classes provided by the Java platform.

double: The double data type is a double-precision 64-bit IEEE 754 floating point. Its range of values is beyond the scope of this discussion, but is specified in the Floating-Point Types, Formats, and Values section of the Java Language Specification. For decimal values, this data type is generally the default choice. As mentioned above, this data type should never be used for precise values, such as currency.

I need to take this and smack Player with it for using double in the IC² Enet API.

Lets hope my new solution works properly without causing Block Borders to be empty.

• That gets me to another Problem. How can I make sure it works properly if this shit is happening?

1. Don't use .bmp you awful person. I should punish you by death for that.
    2. Don't use such a small number. Remember that in OpenGL everything is floats, and the depth buffer often has terrible precision. Try using a scale like 1.001, the size difference will be imperceptible to the user.

[YES-IT-IS-FINALLY-FIXED] GT Blocks not being able to use Alpha in Textures.

Good work. I'll have to try it out once you release it and identify more things to pester you about.

• Hello first time posting here and a very big fan of Gregtech. I only started playing a few years back with the Mindcrack Mod pack 1.4.7 with gregtech and loved it I am now playing with gregtech 1.6.4 but I wanna see abou tmoving up to either 1.72 or 1.710 has greg tech changed dramatically since 1.6.4 or is it still close to the same thing?

• Hello first time posting here and a very big fan of Gregtech. I only started playing a few years back with the Mindcrack Mod pack 1.4.7 with gregtech and loved it I am now playing with gregtech 1.6.4 but I wanna see abou tmoving up to either 1.72 or 1.710 has greg tech changed dramatically since 1.6.4 or is it still close to the same thing?

It has changed dramatically. Almost everything has been redone. You probably want GregTech 5 for 1.7.10. GregTech 6 is nowhere near ready for serious gameplay.