[GregTech-6][1.7.10][Website][Patreon] Info, Support and Suggestions

• What does this line do in railcraft config anyway?

I haven't the faintest idea---I assumed either generated structures in worldgen, or perhaps something related to villages.
    Edit: Yep, it's village stuff (perhaps with a Rolling Machine?) From the changelog:

NEW: Added Railcraft Villager and Structure to Villages. (credits to AEnterprise for the initial code)

Having done a bit more poking around, the Iron/Copper/Tin/Gold entries are actually kind of interesting---they generate large seams of "Poor Ore", which smelt into nuggets instead of ingots. The idea is that you now have an incentive to set up a Railcraft-based mining operation to clear out a whole deposit, which on paper sounds really fun. I don't think I'm ready to experiment with it and Gregtech and PFFA, though.

Amateur dinosaur hunter and extreme weather enthusiast, whose interests include spoken mime, armchair parkour, tactical gaslighting (for fun or for pay), conspicuous ninjutsu and Schröedinger's pentameter—of which this sentence may or may not be an example.

This Mod Compatibility page is the gift that keeps on giving, as I just discovered the Per Fabrica Ad Astra/Geologica mod there. Has anyone had experience or problems running it in a larger pack with GregTech?

IIRC PFAA stones don't work with the 3x3 pickaxe thing from Electro Magic Tools (Thaumcraft addon). I'm not sure but PFAA stones might not work with TiCo hammers.

Having done a bit more poking around, the Iron/Copper/Tin/Gold entries are actually kind of interesting---they actually generate large seams of "Poor Ore", which smelt into nuggets instead of ingots.

That has just been added in RC 9.1. Dunno how well that works with GT though.

GENERATION 28: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the
    generation. Social experiment.
    I have copied this line

• IIRC PFAA stones don't work with the 3x3 pickaxe thing from Electro Magic Tools (Thaumcraft addon). I'm not sure but PFAA stones might not work with TiCo hammers.

You know, I just realized I'm doing this thing I do where I get excited about everything and completely over-extend. Time to rein it in: Getting GregTech to work with my current set of mods will be good enough :)

(And in case you missed the ninja-edit to my last post, the "workshop" entry in the RC config does appear to refer to a structure added to villages, along with a RailCraft villager.)

Amateur dinosaur hunter and extreme weather enthusiast, whose interests include spoken mime, armchair parkour, tactical gaslighting (for fun or for pay), conspicuous ninjutsu and Schröedinger's pentameter—of which this sentence may or may not be an example.

• @forestry: i don't know if GT generates its apatite by default, but i know that either GT or forestry Apatite will work for all the recipes that use them.

@PFAA: If configured to do so, PFAA can generate TC shards in veins just like all the other ores. This is what the server we play does. AE2 can generate its quartz just fine over PFAA, however GT also generates certus quartz at the nether, thus you don't really need AE2 world gen.

• GregTech worldgen should be biome-independant.

Ack, I missed that change on the Wiki; just spotted it now. It makes me a bit sad, I'm a big proponent of mods that encourage exploration, and I always thought having to seek out different biomes for different ore distributions was a cool feature.

Speaking of which, in determining ore generation, does GregTech use Hell & Sky (biomes) or Nether & End (dimensions)? In the case of Hell & Sky won't be true biome-independant.

I assume so; unless things have radically changed since I last looked at GregTech, there are unique ores in the End and (I'm pretty sure) the Nether. And it could still be biome independent, just dimension-dependent---i.e. if you made a "Hell" Mystcraft biome, Nether ores may not spawn there if they're locked to Dim-1.

Edit: And yeah, it looks like that's what's happening---the WorldGeneration.cfg file has boolean "Nether" and "The End" values for each ore type. I suppose it could still be keying off of biome, though; Mystcraft would be the test for this.

• I've added gregtech to my client but now the stone pressure plate recepie is gone.
    Is this a bug or a intended feature?
    And if its intended can you re enable it?

EDIT: I'm using the lastest version

• The Stone Pressure Plate was an accident which somehow happened. I will fix it.

I don't say, your "insert whatever" is bad. I'm only showing ways for making it better.
    GregTech Website
    Patreon really helps me out. If you consider funding the development of GT, so I might be able to do it fulltime, why not?
    GregTech 6, the Main Thread, Bug Reports go here too.
    I'm also on #gt-dev on irc.esper.net, if you don't want to make a Forum account just to contact me.
    (I'm there almost every day, when I'm at my own computer. Yes you can drop bugs and suggestions there too)

• Eunomiac , don't fret Gregtech's ore generation encourages exploration because it will only spawn one vein per 3x3 of chunks. I can't speak for PFAA as I haven't used it, but I assum that it too encourages exploration through sparse but large ore deposits.

Now you see me, now you don't...

• Well I'm still moving a lot of stuff around. You might also want to view pending changes. That will give you the page's latest version if you aren't signed in to the wiki. Any change on the wiki must be reviewed by somebody before it appears to the general public. Which is frustrating but whatever.

There, I reviewed all the GregTech pages. Also, we're currently working on upgrading some of you to editors so your edits won't need reviewing.

• Hey Greg, any intention to add a chunkloader so we can keep our extended power grids loaded? I was thinking of a somewhat expensive machine that uses EU to keep just it's own chunk loaded, as long as it's powered. Perhaps using a nether star and 8 EU/t? That'd be balancedly expensive but not unmanageable, I think. Or is there some other, better way already that I just don't know about?

Also, question for EVERYONE: Anyone know a good chunkloader mod that's reasonable? Railcraft is okay, but the 3x3 area and ender pearl requirement is a bit meh, since it results in 2/3 of the chunks being loaded as unnecessary, it gets retard expensive for long networks, and just kinda sucks. I tried one mod from Immibis but it caused most of my players to crash on login so it had to go. I'd like something that's more suited for long chains to keep active so I can hook up the town with power.

My closest neighbor is 16 chunks away from my power sources, so that'd require 6 RC World Anchors, or 12 ender pearls/hour. Which isn't *too* bad, except that there'd be 36 unnecessarily loaded chunks, and the stacks are only 16, so it'd have to be fully restocked once a week or so. Not too bad.
    But the next neighbors are 8 (in another direction), 47, and 381 (yeah, he's not getting power from me)

PS: Lag is surprisingly not a problem. CPU load averages only ~22% with 5 players in seperate areas, 3 dimensions loaded, one generating new chunks in the twilight.

Quoted from "zorn":
    People can't handle losing. Lots of new games are like this. My son's Lego games? You die and respawn on the spot, just lose a bit of money. It's made so that anyone can win, even the worst players. Like TE, or EU. They say that IC2 is 'keeping them from moving on' but can never say what that is. In reality they just failed, blew up a bunch of stuff, and their fragile egos couldn't take it so they gravitate towards mods designed to guarantee that you succeed.

• ChickenChunks is the first mod that comes to mind, because CC Spot Loaders can load single chunks. However, CC Loaders are cheaper than RC Anchors, and don't have a running cost soooo...

Back in 1.6 there was a mod called Network Anchor. NA was an IC2 Add-On that added a chunkloading block that consumed EU and would either load a fixed area of chunks, or would load exactly the chunks required to keep a connected IC2 E-Net loaded. Experimental, but very cool. Sadly, no activity has been seen in its thread in about 4 months.

RailCraft World Anchors actually have a special extra block called the Anchor Sentinel. Its mechanics are: Place either a Personal or World Anchor, then walk up to 24 Chunks away in a straight line, drop an Anchor Sentinel, whack it with a Crowbar, then walk back to your World Anchor and whack it with the Crowbar. This will link the Anchor with the Sentinel, and cause the Anchor to only load the up-to-25 chunks in a straight line between it and the Sentinel. In this mode, it does not load the standard 3x3 area.
    That would be your solution.
    Rails or the like recommended for covering 25-chunk straight lines.
    [Note: Information taken from the RailCraft Wiki, and not personally tested.]

• Yeah, in my experience RailCraft is ideal for chunkloading. It doesn't have the geographical flexibility of ChickenBones' chunkloaders, but the Sentinels do give a satisfactory amount of control. You can disable the fuel requirement in the config, and (according to FTB testing reports from JadedCat) it has wider compatibility than ChickenBones' chunkloaders (specifically with Ars Magica, which apparently causes random chunk resets alongside CB's chunk loaders).

Personally, I run off the theory that "if you're online, all your stuff should be working no matter where you are, because that just makes sense," but, "if you're not online, neither should your stuff be." Accordingly, I freely allow RC Personal Anchors (which only work when their owners are online) for players' use and disable fuel requirements entirely---but I disable RC World Anchors (which work when players are offline) completely. All of this can be done within railcraft's config.

• PS: Lag is surprisingly not a problem. CPU load averages only ~22% with 5 players in seperate areas, 3 dimensions loaded, one generating new chunks in the twilight.

Apologies for the double-post, but this is great evidence against one of those annoying modded-Minecraft myths: Chunkloading in-and-of-itself is not going to cause any serious lag or server issues. A single player loads over four hundred chunks simply by being online; any supposed ceiling on loaded chunks should always be considered against that.

It's never the number of loaded chunks that causes problems; it's what's happening in those chunks that'll give servers issues.

• So we are getting caught in the dependency web now. Applied Energistics 2 now has dropped support for 1.7.2 and set a minimum requirement for IC2 at 489.

From the changelogs:

Dropped Support for MC 1.7.2 ( Sorry APIs are making breaking changs from .2 Versions )
    Upgraded IC2 API to Match IC2 Experimental Build #489 ( minimum requirement if installed )

• Since the new Wiki for GT5 is still under development I hope that some of you can give me a little help with the Electric Blast Furnace. I have built the EBF according to the block diagram using cupronickel coils. The control unit warning about incomplete structure has disappeared so I am assuming that it is built correctly. I used the tools in the maintenance hatch to remove most of the remaining warnings. Finally I used the duct tape to fix the burned out circuits warning since the soldering iron is currently unavailable. The only warning message left is the "Hit with a Rubber Hammer to (re-)start the machine if it doesn't start." I hit every part of the of the machine with the soft hammer since there is no rubber hammer any longer. All I get is machine enabled and machine disable messages. I cannot get the Electric Blast furnace to do anything. I have a LV transformer below the power hatch with the MV side to the copper cable and the LV side connected to the power side so it should be getting power. I am not sure why it not starting.

I have tested with some steel dust but noting happens. I put the steel dust in the input bus since there is no other place to putting in dusts. I noticed that the Electric Blast Furnace requires 120EU/tick Max energy. I am not sure if the Electric Blast Furnace functions the same as the Basic Electrolyzer where any recipes that require > 32 EU/tick needs 2 tier 128 Machine halls and Copper wires. If this is the same for the Electric Blast Furnace how do you get Aluminum Ingots since they also require 120 EU/tick Max energy? Then how do you get aluminum plates that are required for MY machine halls if you can't make aluminum ingots in a LV version of the Electric Blast Furnace?

• This is a fairly common question by now. Smelting most things in an EBF (before you have Aluminium for MV Hatches) requires the use of 4 LV Energy Hatches, each on their own cable, to supply sufficient EU/t to run the recipes.

• Greg, mind adding the actual functionality of the machines to the tooltip?

E.g. when searching in NEI for E-furnii people may only see Basic E-Furnace, Advanced E-Furnace, Advanced E-Furnace II, Advanced E-Furnace III, but they may miss out Electron Excitement Processor, so maybe add that to the tooltip.

• This is a fairly common question by now. Smelting most things in an EBF (before you have Aluminium for MV Hatches) requires the use of 4 LV Energy Hatches, each on their own cable, to supply sufficient EU/t to run the recipes.

I added 3 additional LV Energy hatches but I have ran into a couple of issues. The first is the machine starts and pulls 1 Aluminum dust and then stops. I am guessing that it is not getting enough EU but it not giving the out of energy sound or warning (red !) that other machines give. Also it appears that it eats the aluminum dust as if I hit the machine again it starts working again and pulls in another dust. I am assuming that this is a bug and not intended to eat dust.

I tried to re-arrange my energy network so the steam turbines are close to the. Turbines -> 4 amp tin cable -> LV->MV Transformer -> 3 copper cables -> MV-LV transformer on 1 harch -> 1 4-amp cable to each energy hatch. It seems like it will work longer than before but it still eats the aluminum dust and gives me nothing.

As for the original issue I suggest that the tool tip for the Electric Blast Furnace be changed to show 1-4x Energy Hatch(s) so it is clear that the structure can use more than 1.

• I tried to re-arrange my energy network so the steam turbines are close to the. Turbines -> 4 amp tin cable -> LV->MV Transformer -> 3 copper cables -> MV-LV transformer on 1 harch -> 1 4-amp cable to each energy hatch. It seems like it will work longer than before but it still eats the aluminum dust and gives me nothing.

------------------------------------:Glass Fibre: :Induction Furnace:
    :Glass Fibre: :Glass Fibre: :Glass Fibre: :Glass Fibre: :LV-Transformer: :Glass Fibre: :Glass Fibre: :Glass Fibre: :LV-Transformer: :Glass Fibre: ( :Induction Furnace: ) :Glass Fibre: :Induction Furnace:
    :Generator: :Generator: :Generator: :Generator: --------------------:Glass Fibre: :Induction Furnace:

If you have it setup like this, you feed only 99.4 EU/t into the hatches so you probably have to change your E-net completely. Check this table to see the losses you probably have (if I'm correct): https://docs.google.com/spread…kj3y2J84/edit?usp=sharing
    Adding another turbine would not work, you need 143.2 EU/t to reach the 128 V limit of Copper Cable you're using and even with that you would get only 111.2 EU/t at the end of the line.

EDIT: Damn formatting deleting spaces.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Methes ().