[GregTech-6][1.7.10][Website][Patreon] Info, Support and Suggestions

• This is a whole other topic completely, but since you're talking about crucible and fluids, it would be a very nice (and intuitive !) option to make the crucible go sideways when we pour stuff into Molds.

I'm pretty sure there would be no point to it at all but damn I would feel like a badass while pouring stuff into my molds !

• Oh my God, I thought I was close to breaking into the electrical age since I have managed to get a bit of aluminum from slucing all of the bauxite to make a dynamo and an electroyzer, so I went to test it in creative. It seems you can't electrolyze bauxite without a *high voltage* electrolyzer. How are you supposed to get there without being able to get enough aluminum to make a dozen dynamos? Plus the transformers. I noticed that red granite says it electolyzes for oxygen and aluminum, and I could use the oxygen in the sodium persulfate cycle to process the bauxite even more efficiently than electrolysing it ( takes less bauxite for each aluminum ), but NEI states that it needs 96 EU/t, which I thought I could get from 4 amps at 32 volts, but it doesn't seem to work. Oh, the LV electrolyzer maxes out at 64 EU/t, so I guess only 2 amps.

Am I missing something or is this frigging impossible?

So, for starters, you can always get more aluminum from the sluice. And you can get sodium from certain sources to get a little aluminum out of your bauxite. And bauxite ore is pretty common - if you run low, you can find more.

...Also, what do you need all that much of it for, exactly?

(Much the same philosophy works for climbing the crucibles: just keep sluicing.)

I'd call the iridium crucible for chip fabrication is the real hard step, but maybe that's just my luck in (not) finding the right materials.

• Yeah it's really luck based: I have an Iridium vein right under my base :3

Making a vein map is one of the most important step in Gregtech when you have made your Ore processing chain. Following Bear steps, I have digged more than 50 chunk borders (to check 4 chunk at once, so almost 200 chunks checked) and only found two manganese veins, for instance (but they were enough for Tantalite, hopefully).

• As for the Tin Cable melting: It says max Voltage is 32, the Turbine emits exactly ONE Packet, if that Packets Voltage is greater than 32, the Cable will ofcourse melt. It doesn't arbitrarily split the Voltage into Packets, just because the Cable can't handle it, in that case it would be a maximum Wattage and not Voltage. The Battery Box is currently the only thing that emits more than one Ampere, and that depends on Battery Count (if you have a selector cover on that box, then it limits it to what the selector cover is saying).

Oh, I thought the whole idea of amperage was that the dynamo always outputs 32v, but could output multiple amps to get more than 32 EU/t. If it outputs higher voltage, won't that also fry a LV battery or other machine it feeds into?

So, for starters, you can always get more aluminum from the sluice. And you can get sodium from certain sources to get a little aluminum out of your bauxite. And bauxite ore is pretty common - if you run low, you can find more.

...Also, what do you need all that much of it for, exactly?

You get *very* little from sluicing bauxite. I have not found any deposits of sodium so I was hoping to figure out how to use the LV electrolyzer to make some. You need the aluminum to make all of the LV electrical stuff. Each one needs like 8-12 ingots worth. I was also hoping to be able to electrolyze the nice big sodalite vein I found, but it probably requires HV too.

Since electrolyzing distilled water produces both hydrogen and oxygen, how do you separate the two and feed only the oxygen to the roaster?

Some new Worldgen. Nothing crucial. It's just Oil.
    It is a finite Fluid, in the sense of it actually flows down by itself and can be filled partially.

So underground Oil pockets ?

It will be fun to chase them down before they fall into lava in caves XD

• And for the "ultra rare resource gating the electric stuff", don't forget that a LOT of stuff is missing in GT, we don't even have a Blast Furnace yet. The melting Zinc Part is a problem of the Crucible I need to address later, since the Crucible has no Fluid Support whats-so-ever.

Ah. From the last discussion I got the distinct impression that "ultra rare resource gating the electric stuff" was a
    deliberate design decision. If it's only a development progress issue then that is a very different matter.

The easiest route forward for that would probably be to pair a crucible and bathing pot and work in fixed size units.
    Maybe have the Bathing Pot (think that's the right name) implement the ITileEntityMold interface with custom
    getMoldRequiredMaterialUnits and fillMold. Have it fill whole ingots worth at a time (or chunks or nuggets worth
    at a time). Actually dealing with real fluids would require a large overhaul of both parts, add relatively little real
    functionality, and maybe open up the crucible to be automated in a way that makes the smelter entirely obsolete.
    Unless you have some really cool ideas for things crucibles might do with real fluids?

(In any case, back when I was struggling with this stage, the steam turbine didn't exist and you basically couldn't
    play GregTech without electricity. The steam age is much more satisfyingly fleshed out today. As is the bronze/iron
    age - with this week's update I'm seriously temped to fly my airship out into a clearing somewhere and roleplay a
    crash landing. Maybe play my way up to building a Compact Electric Motor to "fix" the airship then fly back to my
    industrial metropolis...)

• Making a vein map is one of the most important step in Gregtech when you have made your Ore processing chain. Following Bear steps, I have digged more than 50 chunk borders (to check 4 chunk at once, so almost 200 chunks checked) and only found two manganese veins, for instance (but they were enough for Tantalite, hopefully).

How does that Bear's method exactly work ? I try to dig in the center of every 3*3 chunk, which works quite well, but your method seems to check chunks quicker

• How does that Bear's method exactly work ? I try to dig in the center of every 3*3 chunk, which works quite well, but your method seems to check chunks quicker

You dig on the border between 4 chunks. As you circle downwards, you hit the corner of all 4 chunks so if any of them has a vein you should find it.

• Well it goes like this: you hit F9 to display chunk corners. NEI will show you red lines at every chunk corner (which is the point where 4 chunks join themselves).
    You choose one red line and dig straight down while standing on two blocks at once, that way you won't fall into lava or a cave.

You dig straight down until you either reach bedrock (then you can consider that the 4 chunks around you are most likely empty of any vein) and so you can move on to the next red line, or a vein so you can map it, and -most important of all- mark all three chunks in every direction as "empty".

I don't have a perfect grid (because I know that veins differ in size and I find it a fun way to mine) but you can quickly map a very big area around you that way.

• Oh, I thought the whole idea of amperage was that the dynamo always outputs 32v, but could output multiple amps to get more than 32 EU/t. If it outputs higher voltage, won't that also fry a LV battery or other machine it feeds into?

Voltage out depends on RU in.

...It rather had to considering it can output less than 32 EU/t, unless amperage worked in fractions, which it doesn't seem to.

You get *very* little from sluicing bauxite. I have not found any deposits of sodium so I was hoping to figure out how to use the LV electrolyzer to make some. You need the aluminum to make all of the LV electrical stuff. Each one needs like 8-12 ingots worth. I was also hoping to be able to electrolyze the nice big sodalite vein I found, but it probably requires HV too.

I just sluiced more bauxite. Yeah, you don't get a lot of aluminum per unit, but you can get a lot of bauxite.

You don't find deposits of sodium AFAIK, but you can sluice it from a few other ores.

Since electrolyzing distilled water produces both hydrogen and oxygen, how do you separate the two and feed only the oxygen to the roaster?

If you need to (I suspect, but don't know, that you do) you probably want the fluid filter. It's made of galvanized steel.

Well it goes like this: you hit F9 to display chunk corners. NEI will show you red lines at every chunk corner (which is the point where 4 chunks join themselves).
    You choose one red line and dig straight down while standing on two blocks at once, that way you won't fall into lava or a cave.

You dig straight down until you either reach bedrock (then you can consider that the 4 chunks around you are most likely empty of any vein) and so you can move on to the next red line, or a vein so you can map it, and -most important of all- mark all three chunks in every direction as "empty".

I don't have a perfect grid (because I know that veins differ in size and I find it a fun way to mine) but you can quickly map a very big area around you that way.

If you're marking a lot of chunks as empty, I suspect there's something wrong with the system. My vein map is quite densely packed...

• Indeed you can mark additional 32 Chunks as "already found whats inside" by checking just 4 Chunks, so an entire 6x6 of Chunks.

I updated GT btw, didn't do a Patreon Post yet. Have fun with the Oil Worldgen I added. It even contains infinite Oil Springs (which are really slow, also can be turned off via Config).

I don't say, your "insert whatever" is bad. I'm only showing ways for making it better.
    GregTech Website
    Patreon really helps me out. If you consider funding the development of GT, so I might be able to do it fulltime, why not?
    GregTech 6, the Main Thread, Bug Reports go here too.
    I'm also on #gt-dev on irc.esper.net, if you don't want to make a Forum account just to contact me.
    (I'm there almost every day, when I'm at my own computer. Yes you can drop bugs and suggestions there too)

• Well since I disregard a lot of chunks based on the most common veins (Coal & Lignite are two different veins so they add up, Magnetite and Bauxite are also two frequent one), it can go a long way.

I don't deny there might be some hole there but you can go a long way quickly. I'd say less than half my markings are clear empties, and very often the one following and empty marking is a vein one.

All in all it's just a "dig at regular intervals and see what happens". Since veins spawns at specific heights, it's the only way to be sure anyway.

• Well since I disregard a lot of chunks based on the most common veins (Coal & Lignite are two different veins so they add up, Magnetite and Bauxite are also two frequent one), it can go a long way.

I don't deny there might be some hole there but you can go a long way quickly. I'd say less than half my markings are clear empties, and very often the one following and empty marking is a vein one.

If you're leaving blanks for common vein types, that'd cover it easily.

My own map doesn't actually have 'confirmed empty' chunks as something I mark but I almost never fail to find a vein when I do a strenuous vertical search. More common when I'm under the ocean, probably because so many levels are full of water rather than potentially ore-bearing rock.

All in all it's just a "dig at regular intervals and see what happens". Since veins spawns at specific heights, it's the only way to be sure anyway.

True that.

• If you need to (I suspect, but don't know, that you do) you probably want the fluid filter. It's made of galvanized steel.

Of course it is... argh!

So it seems that the battery box and machines are able to accept slightly higher than their normal voltage tier without blowing up, then the battery box always outputs right at the voltage tier. So why are the cables limited to *exactly* their tier so that you have to go up a whole voltage tier for wires between the dynamo and the battery box to cover the slight over voltage they can output?

• Ok, so I found you can use universal fluid cells to manually remove the hydrogen and oxygen from the electrolyzer, and manually insert only the oxygen into the roaster, and manage to make sulfuric acid and then sodium persulfate and finally sodium. Now what do you do with the extra hydrogen? It seems that you can't just pour gasses out on the ground and cover them up with dirt like you can with liquids. I tried a gas burning box and you can insert the hydrogen from the fluid cell, but it only accepts like 200 mB at a time. I thought of the canning machine to extract the cells and put the fluid into pipes, but apparently the canning machine is crazy advanced and not something I will be building any time soon.

Any other ideas?

• Of course it is... argh!

So it seems that the battery box and machines are able to accept slightly higher than their normal voltage tier without blowing up, then the battery box always outputs right at the voltage tier. So why are the cables limited to *exactly* their tier so that you have to go up a whole voltage tier for wires between the dynamo and the battery box to cover the slight over voltage they can output?

Machines have tooltips that put in very clear terms what their boundaries for acceptable input are (except steam engines).

...I thought there were intermediate-capacity cables, but I'd have to check. If not that seems rather inconvenient, though the same could be said for being stuck with tier voltages even though many processes require intermediate values. I've never actually used a cable to conduct electricity so far rather than directly attaching a dynamo to the thing it drives. (Because I can't build battery boxes until I can fabricate circuits...which I'm pretty sure you can't do either since crystalization requires a bunch of liquid silicon.)

• Ok, so I found you can use universal fluid cells to manually remove the hydrogen and oxygen from the electrolyzer, and manually insert only the oxygen into the roaster, and manage to make sulfuric acid and then sodium persulfate and finally sodium. Now what do you do with the extra hydrogen? It seems that you can't just pour gasses out on the ground and cover them up with dirt like you can with liquids. I tried a gas burning box and you can insert the hydrogen from the fluid cell, but it only accepts like 200 mB at a time. I thought of the canning machine to extract the cells and put the fluid into pipes, but apparently the canning machine is crazy advanced and not something I will be building any time soon.

Any other ideas?

If you can get it into a pipe you can dump it using a valve. Or you could use plungers to get rid of it.

• Just make some tanks, GT/RC/BC/OB etc, and store it for later usage. Then pipe it into burning box, so you don't need to put there 200 a time.

I'm trying not to play with any other mods besides GT. I didn't test if you can dump the cells into the new big expensive multiblock tanks yet. I wish there was a cheaper and smaller single block version. I might just have to install enderio just for the tanks.

Then there's the hydrocloric acid you get as a byproduct... what do you do with that? No way to void it? Wait, it's a liquid, not a gas, so I guess you can just dump it out in the world as a source block then replace it with dirt. Not sure why the fluid cells won't let you do that with the gasses. IIRC, gaseous glowstone from thermal expansion could be dumped into the world and it would flow upwards.

• Not every Fluid has a Block Form. That's why.

I don't say, your "insert whatever" is bad. I'm only showing ways for making it better.
    GregTech Website
    Patreon really helps me out. If you consider funding the development of GT, so I might be able to do it fulltime, why not?
    GregTech 6, the Main Thread, Bug Reports go here too.
    I'm also on #gt-dev on irc.esper.net, if you don't want to make a Forum account just to contact me.
    (I'm there almost every day, when I'm at my own computer. Yes you can drop bugs and suggestions there too)