[GregTech-6][1.7.10][Website][Patreon] Info, Support and Suggestions

• But seriously, it is supposed to be a very black Material. Basalt is for the not-so-black-but-still-black variant.

Hmm but if we had a better shader, Granite and dark void could easily be distinguished because the former would have a specular highlight (when the surrounding area isn't completely dark). How about tweaking the texture a bit so it isn't uniformly black? It is currently pretty bad from the game play standpoint.

For instance, Sky Stone from AE2 is also supposed to be black, but it's not *uniformly* black so you can easily distinguish it from a pitch dark void.

• Hmm but if we had a better shader, Granite and dark void could easily be distinguished because the former would have a specular highlight (when the surrounding area isn't completely dark). How about tweaking the texture a bit so it isn't uniformly black? It is currently pretty bad from the game play standpoint.

The issue there is that then the Texture would not match with the other Textures of Black Granite.

Meanwhile, lets hope the EU is not going to fuck up Copyright Law tomorrow... The Internet would be destroyed entirely if that Law ever comes to be...

I don't say, your "insert whatever" is bad. I'm only showing ways for making it better.
    GregTech Website
    Patreon really helps me out. If you consider funding the development of GT, so I might be able to do it fulltime, why not?
    GregTech 6, the Main Thread, Bug Reports go here too.
    I'm also on #gt-dev on irc.esper.net, if you don't want to make a Forum account just to contact me.
    (I'm there almost every day, when I'm at my own computer. Yes you can drop bugs and suggestions there too)

• Reminder for everyone, this Bullshit is being voted on tomorrow!

https://juliareda.eu/eu-copyright-reform/

http://copyright4creativity.eu…-the-eu-copyright-reform/

And the law will be in Effect by July/August/September if they accept it!

A lot of Artists including myself might end up having to leave the normal Internet if this happens.

I don't say, your "insert whatever" is bad. I'm only showing ways for making it better.
    GregTech Website
    Patreon really helps me out. If you consider funding the development of GT, so I might be able to do it fulltime, why not?
    I'm also on #gt-dev on irc.esper.net, if you don't want to make a Forum account just to contact me.
    (I'm there almost every day, when I'm at my own computer. Yes you can drop bugs and suggestions there too)

• Hmm but if we had a better shader, Granite and dark void could easily be distinguished because the former would have a specular highlight (when the surrounding area isn't completely dark). How about tweaking the texture a bit so it isn't uniformly black? It is currently pretty bad from the game play standpoint.

For instance, Sky Stone from AE2 is also supposed to be black, but it's not *uniformly* black so you can easily distinguish it from a pitch dark void.

That. While digging through the shit underground I nearly fell into a ravine because I could not tell the difference between the void and the black granite even though I had a torch only 2 blocks away.

• Hm, I've just discovered that if you have a bath full of creosote, and you put a wooden fluid pipe with a cover attached in it, then mix it up... You'll get a treated pipe, with no cover.

I also am a bit confused with steam behavior. Is it viable to connect several machines and several boilers with one pipe, or this will lead to imbalanced usage of the steam?

For example, I have a steel engine (64 Steam/t) and bronze turbine (48 Steam/t). Can I supply them both with one strong invar boiler (128 Steam/t)? Or both steam consumers will get 64 Steam/t?

• Hm, I've just discovered that if you have a bath full of creosote, and you put a wooden fluid pipe with a cover attached in it, then mix it up... You'll get a treated pipe, with no cover.

I also am a bit confused with steam behavior. Is it viable to connect several machines and several boilers with one pipe, or this will lead to imbalanced usage of the steam?

For example, I have a steel engine (64 Steam/t) and bronze turbine (48 Steam/t). Can I supply them both with one strong invar boiler (128 Steam/t)? Or both steam consumers will get 64 Steam/t?

Wait Covers get lost? That shouldnt happen.

As for Steam, with Symmetry and sufficient Pipe Capacity its fine.

GregTech Website

• I also am a bit confused with steam behavior. Is it viable to connect several machines and several boilers with one pipe, or this will lead to imbalanced usage of the steam?

When it comes to the fluid pipes there's not any routing going on, fluids just move through the pipe to wherever there is space for them. That also means they don't strictly flow from producer to consumer - they can "slosh" back and forth throughout your pipes, so the amount of steam your turbines / engines are getting can fluctuate from tick to tick.

Engines and turbines can handle between half and double of their recommended Steam/t; if you supply more than that, they'll still accept it but the engine / turbine will stop operating (you'll hear the machine failure sound). That can be really dangerous - when engines stop operating, they won't restart on their own (you'll have to use a soft hammer or break/replace them to reset them) and they stop consuming steam, so steam can build up in your pipes and boilers and cause a boiler explosion (if you're paranoid about this, include a Pressure Valve on the pipe directly above each of your boilers). That being said, finding a way to control how steam is being distributed through your system is critical.

I've found the simplest, most reliable thing to do is use a single boiler connected to a single engine/turbine, without pipes if possible (to avoid having to worry about fluid pipe logistics). If this isn't an option (e.g. you need a downward-facing engine to power a squeezer), one way you can control the flow of steam is to carefully select fluid pipes according to their bandwidth.

So for example, I have a Strong Steam Boiler Tank (Bronze), that produces 192 Steam/t. I want to connect that to a Strong Steam Engine (Invar) that consumes "~100 Steam/t" (50-200 Steam/t), so we'll need pipes that can handle between 192 L/t and 200 L/t. Small Invar Fluid Pipes have a bandwidth of 200 L/t, so it's ideal for this.

Say instead of a single engine I wanted to connect it to two Steam Turbines (Bronze), that consume 24-96 Steam/t (consuming at most a total of 192 Steam/t, same as our boiler). We'd have to branch off from our main Small Invar Fluid Pipe with two smaller pipes to do this. To supply these turbines with the correct amount of steam, our smaller pipes need a bandwidth of 24-96 L/t. There are Tiny Invar Fluid Pipes, but those have slightly too much bandwidth (100 L/t), which would stop the turbine if they allowed that much steam to be delivered. Tiny Bronze Fluid Pipes have the most bandwidth without going over (75 L/t), but now we have another problem.

Even though the turbines are capable of consuming all of the Steam the boiler is producing, only 150 Steam/t (2*75 L/t) can make it to our turbines because of the pipes we're using to deliver it! Not only are the turbines operating at a fraction of their potential, steam is building up in the boiler because we're producing more per tick than we're consuming! We'll have to waste the excess steam the boiler is producing with a pressure valve on the pipe nearest to the boiler or risk a boiler explosion. There's really not a whole lot you can do about this, since you'd need pipes with a bandwidth of exactly 96 L/t, which don't exist. You could use better turbines (e.g. Steam Turbine (Brass), 36-144 Steam/t) and better pipes (Tiny Invar Fluid Pipe, 100 L/t) and not waste any steam, but now even though steam isn't being wasted, your turbines are operating at an even lower fraction of their potential. in short, sharing steam power across several boilers and engines/turbines is a complicated problem, and there's likely no perfect solution to it. Stick to one engine/turbine per steam setup to make your life easier.

The post was edited 1 time, last by theJ89: minor edit on pipe bandwidth example ().

• That isn't quite accurate. While the JURI committee approved that shit, it won't be in effect unless the EU parliament says Yes. Dang, why do I have to worry about this fucking shit in spite of me being a Japanese and not an European by any fucking means????

A redstone machine cover will not attach to an MV electric engine.

You need an Universal Extender for that.

• That isn't quite accurate. While the JURI committee approved that shit, it won't be in effect unless the EU parliament says Yes. Dang, why do I have to worry about this fucking shit in spite of me being a Japanese and not an European by any fucking means????

Yeah I know, but I am still a bit pessimistic about it, and I am not pessimistic about many things ever. And it will ofcourse affect Websites worldwide, simply because they prefer to comply to EU Law just to be able to stay...

GregTech Website

• Code
    1. [FIXED] Something, I think. I know I did something but forgot to add it to the Changelog, so now I dont know what it was.

diff? Here's another place a decent version control system would help.

• Code
    1. [FIXED] Something, I think. I know I did something but forgot to add it to the Changelog, so now I dont know what it was.

diff? Here's another place a decent version control system would help.

https://xkcd.com/1296/

GregTech Website

• I love xkcd, but I want to smack people whenever I see them make useless entries like that. I'm looking at you chocohead.

It only takes a few extra seconds to describe your change properly, and if you can't figure out how to describe it, you probably don't really understand what you did and it probably isn't right. While you are writing the description, also take a moment to review the diff and catch any mistakes you made.

Now why can't I use a redstone machine cover on an engine?

• Do GregTech forts generate if techguns is enabled? I see a lot of techguns structures but haven't found a fort yet, but in another modpack with just GT I found a fort shortly after the world was created.

• Now why can't I use a redstone machine cover on an engine?

Engines dont like Covers in general, though they might be capable of having them on the front and back, or via Universal Extenders on their Sides.

Do GregTech forts generate if techguns is enabled? I see a lot of techguns structures but haven't found a fort yet, but in another modpack with just GT I found a fort shortly after the world was created.

Yes they definitely spawn when TechGuns is installed. You just got unlucky ;)

GregTech Website

• Engines dont like Covers in general, though they might be capable of having them on the front and back, or via Universal Extenders on their Sides.

Why? If they can't have them on the side, then they shouldn't be able to have them on the side via an extender; the extender should have to be on the same side that the cover can normally go on.

Also, I just got 14 buckets of lava into a drum and stuck the drum on a basin with a hopper under to pull out the obsidian. I ended up with 896L of leftover lava in the drum. Why is this? Each bucket of lava should turn into 1 obsidian, and I'm pretty sure that is how it worked when I poured the lava into a crucible, reheated it a bit, then poured it into the basin last time i made some.