Freestanding Wooden and Iron Ladders

• Ladders in real life, as often as not, stand apart from a wall for much of their length. Sometimes they're propped against an overhang high above them. Sometimes they hang down from a support high above, like on a fire escape. What I'm suggesting is mainly an aesthetic change, but could have some utility as well.

I suggest a few changes to the behavior of vanilla wooden ladders and the addition of a new block, to be described later. Vanilla ladders would no longer have to be placed against a solid block all the time. They just need something to attach to. For the first one you place, this is still the side of a solid block. After that, you can place ladders on top or below the first. They would adopt the original ladder's orientation and rely on it for support. Breaking the original ladder by any means will, naturally, cause the whole structure to collapse.

Ladders could be supported from the top, bottom, or anywhere in the middle, so long as at least one ladder is supported by a solid block. It would be reasonable to limit the extent of the support to 5 blocks, for example, much like scaffolds. But doesn't this make them too much like those scaffolds? No, I think there are still a couple of key differences: 1) ladders still need to be placed one at a time. Thus you may want to just skip them for very temporary construction work, if you don't want to go through that effort; 2) holding shift on a ladder will negate gravity, causing you to remain at your current height. If you really need to keep a steady grip on things, you may want ladders after all.

Finally, I would like to see an iron version of ladders, behaving more or less identically to wooden ladders. This is mainly for aesthetics, once again, so that you could pair wooden ladders with wooden scaffolds/fences and iron ladders with iron scaffolds/fences. Also do note that a fire escape with a wooden ladder more often than not ends badly for all involved.

Tell me what you think. Useless? Useful? Overpowered?

• Stupid.

First, Vanilla Ladders will not be changed due to being vanilla stuff, and like i keep repeating "MOST modders rather not touch any vanilla behavior/item/block"

Second, vanilla ladders where made like that for ease of use (From what i can gather), since like you sure have noticed they barely have any hitbox going on with them, making placing a ladder on top of each other to be a pain in the arse.

I know you are new here, but notice how FenixR in the post above you explained why it is not necessary/probably not going to be done, he gave a reason for disagreeing (in his own assholish way), this -1 is not really helpful to anyone giving suggestions as they have nothing upon which they can use to improve their suggestions

Relevant to the suggestion, I feel like scaffolds fit this purpose enough for this to not need implementation as nothing is really easier than grabbing a bunch of wood and kicking out scaffolds, from a coding aspect I'm not certain how minecraft ladder code works, but it might need major changes to make this happen as if ladders were place able on air blocks are you certain you would not just walk right through them?

Is the answer to this question no?

Hey don't take it so hard. Ignorance is part of this generation it seems. -the wise words of XFmax-o-l

• I like this idea for aesthetics but I believe it shouldn't be Alblaka's and his team's job to do this. Perhaps an independant modder yeah. But not IC2 as it doesn't include IC2 components.

That's a rather cool idea, but a lone tree is suspicious, better plant some more. So really... forget about solar-flowers, solar-trees are the next generation :P

• Stupid.

First, Vanilla Ladders will not be changed due to being vanilla stuff, and like i keep repeating "MOST modders rather not touch any vanilla behavior/item/block"

Second, vanilla ladders where made like that for ease of use (From what i can gather), since like you sure have noticed they barely have any hitbox going on with them, making placing a ladder on top of each other to be a pain in the arse.

I understand that first point and I'll try to keep that in mind. Thank you. I don't really consider the hitbox to be ridiculously small... it's no troble if you have good aim. Oh well, doesn't matter.

I like this idea for aesthetics but I believe it shouldn't be Alblaka's and his team's job to do this. Perhaps an independant modder yeah. But not IC2 as it doesn't include IC2 components.

A good point. I just have a mild obsession with aesthetic and symetric design.

Only for aesthetics? Sorry, this just isn't worth the effort.
    The IC team has lots of more important things on their to do list.

Use scaffolds for a freestanding solution of climbing up.

Very well... I won't die for the lack of special ladders.