Why getting rubber is so hard now?

• I mean, it's zero tier of IC. I'd understand if this is something you need for high tech, but it is as, or more hard to find than diamonds. Or I'm doing something wrong.

Also, is it intended that shears don't cut saplings from resin tree leaves, or I'm just unlucky?

• Rubber trees aren't too hard to find if you know where to look. Swamps in particular are lousy with them, and using an extractor you can triple you're your rubber income.

(also, "now"? It's been this way since IC2 was released)

• You must be in a horrible world, because I find rubber trees all over the place in swamps, and there are even lots of them in forests. And once you find one, cut it down and punch all the leaves. Presto, saplings to start a farm.

• Ah, extractor. Forgot that it is not only to get resin from trunks, thanks.

Well, yes, I haven't played since IC1. Didn't really liked many changed in IC2, old way was making more sense in a lot of ways.

After giving it a thought, having some resource to look for in overworld instead of underground is not that bad... Gives some variety. But still, shearing not producing saplings is confusing. And, why swamps, and not jungles?

• Official Post

And, why swamps, and not jungles?

Because the giant RP-Rubbertrees (which are compatible with IC²) are already in the Jungles.

And getting Rubber is really hard. I mean i have tons of Diamonds but only a Chest halffull with Rubber. It will only get better, when i start Crossbreeding (to get Stickreed). I have definetly to build a Rubbertreefarm, as renewable, nonautomatizeable Stuff is normally not in my Factory (you cant really automate it without Forestry).

• For the people who didn't use IC1: In IC1, rubber was made like so ( :Rubber Log: =normal log, :Empty Cell: =nothing because cells didn't exist):
    :Empty Cell: :Treetap: :Empty Cell:
    :Rubber Log: :Rubber Log: :Rubber Log: > 1:Rubber:

The treetap was used up.

When you made an extractor, you could insert a log, power it and get 1 rubber per log.

The forum won't let me specify my gender accurately, so I'll just use my signature to say that I go by they/them pronouns.

• For the people who didn't use IC1: In IC1, rubber was made like so ( :Rubber Log: =normal log, :Empty Cell: =nothing because cells didn't exist):
    :Empty Cell: :Treetap: :Empty Cell:
    :Rubber Log: :Rubber Log: :Rubber Log: > 1:Rubber:

The treetap was used up.

When you made an extractor, you could insert a log, power it and get 1 rubber per log.

Ahh, the good old days of IC1.

• Does anyone have a rough estimate of the time it takes for resin hole to respawn? I was just thinking it would be neat to set up an automatic rubber farm using treetaps in RP deployers. Problem being, if I were to set them up on a timer, I have no clue what interval to set the timer for.

Edit:Technic wiki says 2 - 3 mincraftian days... rather discouraging. Seems stickreed is the way to go at this point. Or just a plain rubber tree farm with block breakers.

• Official Post

Does anyone have a rough estimate of the time it takes for resin hole to respawn? I was just thinking it would be neat to set up an automatic rubber farm using treetaps in RP deployers. Problem being, if I were to set them up on a timer, I have no clue what interval to set the timer for.

Edit:Technic wiki says 2 - 3 mincraftian days... rather discouraging. Seems stickreed is the way to go at this point. Or just a plain rubber tree farm with block breakers.

Deployer + Resinhole doesnt work...

• use forestry :P
    since i have tons of propolis from my apiaries and i can't really use them for anything else than making them into sticky resin for rubber i'va always enough. getting an multiple apiaries started in the first place is another issue^^
    forestry also comes with a rubber tree farm, for the people who need more than ordinary trees.
    on the other hand, i never had problems with rubber. once i find at least one tree, i take it's saplings and start cultivating my own rubber plantage with around 25 trees. since i don't need them to have leaves i just cut them off to minimize the area needed for this and i'm also trying to get every tree with two holes. that usually gives me more than enough resin every time i harvest it.
    but i must admit it was a pain to always craft enough treetaps, good thing we now have an electric treetap. :Treetap:

• Using REI minimap I just enable the biome color option and look for the swamp color. That's the best bet. You might get lucky and run across a rubber tree elsewhere but it isn't worth the time, unless you see it from the distance of course. You only really need 1 tree to get the production started. But yes, for worst case scenario it can take a while to find one.