Suggestion: Use less Block ID's

• By my current count IC2 uses 27 block ID's. Other mods can fit many blocks into fewer block IDs. This can lead to frustration when trying to install many mods to work alongside IC2. Would it be possible to compress this number down, and fit the current number of blocks into fewer block ID's?

I realize that this change would break many current worlds, but perhaps this would be possible for a release for the next major version of Minecraft?

• I counted 34 in my config/IC2.cfg, though I don't guarantee all of those are still actually in use -- I've had that config in place for a good long while. However, as Greg said, reducing them isn't feasible, as they all serve their purposes and are overloaded as much as possible.

Either way, also as Greg said, Forge lets us use all 4096 block IDs that are theoretically possible for the Minecraft engine to use, so it isn't a real problem anymore (assuming it ever was -- I count 46 files in my mods/ folder and I'm certain everything still fits under ID 255).

• Don't complain about it. In IC1, every machine needed 2 IDs! In the last version it used 68 blockIDs! And we have 4096 blockIDs now, as others said before.

The forum won't let me specify my gender accurately, so I'll just use my signature to say that I go by they/them pronouns.

• Then do it for the 1.3-Update (or the Mod-API-Update).

Dunno, the reason they haven't done so its because it WILL break worlds up, and the kind that can't be easily fixed by re-arranging the blocks ID's. Also some backwards compatibility that has been in there since forever (Although those extra blocks can be turned off in the config).

• Official Post

Dunno, the reason they haven't done so its because it WILL break worlds up, and the kind that can't be easily fixed by re-arranging the blocks ID's. Also some backwards compatibility that has been in there since forever (Although those extra blocks can be turned off in the config).

I thought 1.3 is already partially breaking most of the 1.2.5-Modcodes, so it would be a great timing for the change (Or for making IC³). And who doesn't start a new World, after a complete Update of MC + Mods? Especially since some of the other Mods like TC2, EE or BC3 will be completly broken.

• We'll see, last i heard Alblaka wasn't planning to update to 1.3 due to the lack of API (Yes the api is still in development). Although Elooram said on twitter that she will be porting to 1.3 (Since i also remembered that al wanted for all known modders to wait till the API for updating)

• Official Post

We'll see, last i heard Alblaka wasn't planning to update to 1.3 due to the lack of API (Yes the api is still in development). Although Elooram said on twitter that she will be porting to 1.3 (Since i also remembered that al wanted for all known modders to wait till the API for updating)

Yes i remember that, but since the others will most likely Update, he will maybe make a small Trick to update IC² in form of IC³.

• Thanks Richard

That's a rather cool idea, but a lone tree is suspicious, better plant some more. So really... forget about solar-flowers, solar-trees are the next generation :P

• We aren't changing those anytime soon anyways, and if Alb doesn't want a 1.3 port we'll do it anyway.

Without the wishes of the Dragon lord? FOR SHAME!

But I would guess that Alba would prefer an official port due to creating compliance with the Mod API system, and being able to secure the functionality of it via Mojang. (It would also help deter modpacks and wrangle some controls on those who distribute them with no regard to the mod developers)...

Would anyone like to try a Slowpoke Tail?! Only 1 Million Yen!

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

Every Mod Author, in existence. And yet, you STILL say otherwise.