Theoretical Reactor Design(s)

• I like working on theoretically "optimum" designs. This is the one that I have taken the time to design so far (warning: untested!).

Can someone double-check my calculations on this?

I additionally propose a new classification: Breeder efficiency - how many NET uranium (out - in) a reactor produces on average from one piece input at 9000+ degrees. Note that the values as they stand currently correspond to <1, >=1, >=2, >=3, and 4 adjacent isotopes per uranium, respectively. Unfortunately the code does not increase chances beyond 9000 heat currently, so there is no point in making uber-hot reactors.

BEE: <1
    BED: 1 - <3
    BEC: 3 - <5
    BEB: 5 - <7
    BEA: 7 (thoeretical maximum: Uranium surrounded by 4 depleted Uranium: 1 in / cycle -> (4 neighbors) * (2 out / neighbor/ cycle) = 8 - 1 uranium / cycle = 7 uranium / cycle)

• Bugger it! D: Can the code please be changed?
    I had great plans for 18000 heat reactors :D

Just a hint:

2. Reactor Plating
    Reactor Plating serves multiple functions:
    It can store 10000 heat and will (though 10 times slower then a coolant cell), cool itself down as well.
    More important, it can transport heat to adjacent components. If a reactor plating is heated up by something, it will instantly divert the heat among all surrounding coolant systems. Even to other platings (which will again divert the heat, however, NOT to other platings anymore).
    Additionally, each piece of plating will increase the Reactor Hull's integrity, causing it to to take more heat before melting.

Insert 8 plates into the Reactor, bam, it can tolerate 18000 heat.

• Just a hint:

Actually, The Reactor's heat capacity is determined by this

Base of 10,000 + 1,000*Chambers + 100*Plating

So you would have a capacity of 16000 with a fully upgraded reactor by default, and would need 20 plating to have the reactor explode exactly when you hit 18,000.
    Also, It starts setting things on fire at 45% of capacity, and starts melting things to lava at 85% of capacity.

Just as a warning XD

• WhyTF do you think plating gives 1000 hull durability to the reactor? It solely awards 250 (in 1.0)

Okay, so it doesn't give 1000 durability. With 6 reactor chambers, you still only need 8 plating in 1.0 to get 18000 durability, so my post can be said to be 100% accurate for 1.0 :3

• Okay, so it doesn't give 1000 durability. With 6 reactor chambers, you still only need 8 plating in 1.0 to get 18000 durability, so my post can be said to be 100% accurate for 1.0 :3

Wrong.

• Afaik the maximum would be 4? Diagonal adjacent doesn't count.

Yes - but I added the heat speed-up factor and forgot to explicitly state it... Normally it takes (~)40k pulses to replenish uranium - 3000+ heat it takes ~20k, 6000+ heat it takes ~10k, and 9000+ it takes ~5k. The maximum is one with four neighbours at 9000+ heat, or 4 neighbours * (10k ticks in a cell / 5k ticks to replenish a cell) - 1 original cell = 4*2 - 1 = 7

Just a hint:

You can run it hotter than 9000, it just won't speed up the process of making more uranium currently, so there is no point. That's been clarified in my original post.

• Official Post

you guys all seem to forget, that you need to keep the heat on the hull for a perfect breeder. just having the same cooling as heat generation won't help you.

For example: i produce (just a random number) 50 heat, cool down 25 via hull and place 25 coolant cells with adjectant heat dispersers: this AINT a perfect breeder. why? Well the heat dispersers, each will take 25 heat of the hull each tick, dispersing a part of it to neighbour coolant cells etc. sure you just erase 50 heat each tick, but you take more off the hull. You do this as long as you have more heat outside as the dispersers are damaged.

If you want to make that breeder from above perfect you have to do the following: place only 1 heat disperser into the breeder somewhere not connected to the cells. this will exactly make a perfect breeder, but you have to replace the damaged disperser with a new one. For example: if you run your breeder at 6000 heat you will have to replace the disperser every 240 seconds.

How do i cool it down then???

make a 2nd reactor for cooling use: place up to 6 heat dispersers with each 4 coolant cells in, and put the damaged heat disperser in, it will regenrate faster then the new one in the breeder is damaged (giving off 25 heat to hull 6 heat to nearby coolants).

this is IMHO the only way to make a perfect breeder.

• The way I understand it is that a heat DC will equalize heat between all surrounding elements, itself AND the hull so that if (fex.) 20000 heat exists with a base reactor hull 1 DC and two connected Coolant cells at the same time as two heat is produced (and not cooled externally) then the DC will attempt to produce the following result:
    hull heat = 5000 DC = 5000 2x CC = 2x 5000 it will try to balance the heat percentage wise between all available cooling elements and the reactor however you are suggesting that the DC would attempt to Melt the two CC and try to put the hull heat at 0... this seems unlogical to me and I refuse to believe it unless albalka re writes the TUT on nuclear engineering to accept your way of working.
    this means that you must calculate the percentage (Important: if it is at 85% or over then it will not work) of heat your optimum breeding level will be at (in this case it stops at 9000) then see how much heat will need to be sunk into the reactor to achieve this percentage (heat storage of reactor + all elements) then find the closest 500 and fill it in with lava buckets for 2000+ and water buckets for 500 - to regulate your heat to this level

And GUYS! : Stop arguing about reactor plating yes the increase of HP was the point of my statement I was going to fill a breeder with plating and therefore increase the HP of it allowing it to have a higher max heat before reaching the critical 85% heat which is lava spawn / melting of reactor chambers.
    fire spawn could theoretically be avoided by having a floating reactor 2 blocks away from any surface (use redpower self supported cables for the redstone cutoff)
    no surface to be on = no fire

I am glad to hear the reactor plating will be upgraded to 250 hp TBH that is the only reason I use plating in reactors the cooling effect sucks and it messes up perfect breeders

• Official Post

i never said anything about the dispersers wanting to melt anything next to them. i wrote, that they will take loads of heat from the reactor hull.

Sure you can make a perfect breeder, by damaging all items inside to the desired grade. but have fun with this. well it wont be hard when we get the detector item, to regulate the heat to a certain level. But you will need each item (for example to run it at 6000 heat) to take up 6000 heat. which is hard to achieve without a detector.

• Well, you can estimate an approximate level by looking at the bar. 6000 heat means 40% durability cooling elements, which is slightly below half durability. I mean, it's imprecise, but +/- 500 heat doesn't really matter when you're aiming for 6000/10000 heat.

Also, to make sure you get the 40% right, you can simply take a tool with a known amount of uses (like a drill with 150 uses) and use up exactly 60% of its energy reserve. For a drill, that would be 90 uses. The remaining bar is what you should compare the state of your cooling elements to.

• Official Post

what i want to show you is the following: till we get the detector block, heating a fully filled breeder to a certain amount of heat will require a lot of time and adjusting. and you have to redo this every time you restart your breeder.
    If you use my version, you can just fill 3 buckets of lava in, wait 5 seconds to be above 6k and then hit the disperser in. so its like: a 2nd reactor for cooling, or a shitload of time to adjust all the stuff to a certain heat level. your choice.

at the moment we get the detector block, all problems solved.

• Well a reactor with two columns of stacked ice and everything else uranium cells works, might be a way to cheese buildcraft into getting an ice maker... that would be very nice.

Because everything I connect to the reactor blows up due to power overload, up to and including a mass fabricator, I don't really have a measurement on the reactor's power yet.

Okay it blows high energy stuff up after 26 cells and/or 505 current; totally safe as far as the reactor goes as long as ice is in the reactor, and if automated ice/snow farming works it's a golden reactor design to build, through it might need to be scaled down in terms of uranium so that it can easily power an MFSU.

• Well a reactor with two columns of stacked ice and everything else uranium cells works, might be a way to cheese buildcraft into getting an ice maker... that would be very nice.

Because everything I connect to the reactor blows up due to power overload, up to and including a mass fabricator, I don't really have a measurement on the reactor's power yet.

Okay it blows high energy stuff up after 26 cells and/or 505 current; totally safe as far as the reactor goes as long as ice is in the reactor, and if automated ice/snow farming works it's a golden reactor design to build, through it might need to be scaled down in terms of uranium so that it can easily power an MFSU.

Why not put an HV transformer between the reactor and your MFSU?

It sounds like your reactor is producing EV voltage.. so connecting it to a HV transformer, then from there to your equipment should fix it. (unless I'm just being dense about how some things work, if that's the case, please ignore me while I go back to IndustrialCraft² school.)

• That should work, there's a problem where you have to connect to the reactor core itself with pipes to insert ice, but that I'd hope would be fixed soon.

It should work, but I don't think Alblaka expected a reactor to output that much and need that to happen. Too tired to think about it.

• i managed build reaktor with 1200EU/t (54uranium cells) and connect it to MFSU. yo just need split it to multiple MFSU. so connect cable from reactor into three MFSU and you are fine. just be sure that length of the cable is same for every MFSU to equaly split current.