Suggestion: Recycler consumes junk immediately (like geothermal)

• Feeding Recycler by hand is one of most annoying things in IC2.

So, simple solution - when you put stuff in Recycler it is consumed immediately, like geothermal eats lava cells, getting one "charge" per item, up to 512. Then recycler works with charges as it does with items in input slot now - 1/8 chance per charge to get scrap, 2.25 sec and 45 EU per operation, etc.

• So basically an internal item storage for recyclers? Personally my cobble generator is running absolutely fine with two overclockers, can you give a situation other than mass recycling where this would be useful?

Is the answer to this question no?

Hey don't take it so hard. Ignorance is part of this generation it seems. -the wise words of XFmax-o-l

• Official Post

Nope, this idea is entirely valid for the recyclers actual purpouse (destroying unwanted/useless items whilst producing something not-useless and even stackable). Dropping in sets of different items takes it's time early-game, which is exactly the time recycling is used.

• Wouldn't it be better if recycler pick items up from chest?
    If you put one near, ofc.

Getting and putting items from nearby chests would be actually awesome for ALL machines. And given miners do it, it is not too hard to implement. But there is probably some taboo about implementing anything even remotely similar to pipes.

• I definitely see the merit this idea has, and for that I think I have to +1 but I personally use Redpower combined with Spwnx's clockless cobble generator so I don't know how much use this would see from me if it was implemented other than the occasional earth creeper explosion from the elemental creepers mod

Is the answer to this question no?

Hey don't take it so hard. Ignorance is part of this generation it seems. -the wise words of XFmax-o-l

• If you have BC then use the Hopper, if you have awesome Redpower then use the Relay. Easy as that.

I think the whole point of this suggestion is that the OP doesn't have other mods.

But right now I'm imagining a 'junk meter' for the recycler's gui, akin to the geogen's lava meter -- putting an itemstack inside the recycler consumes the item(s) and increases the amount of junk inside, while the recycler runs while the amount of junk inside is >= 1, so the items are consumed immediately and processed into scrap at a slower pace. Heck, the junk could be treated as a buildcraft liquid, and pumped out and stored for later processing.

• I like the idea of consuming scrap instantly, maybe charging a bar or amplifier and increasing the chance of scrap creation?

I also support scrap as a liquid but only as a config option.

Alblaka says:

"People using their intellect in attempts to discuss other people into the ground could be considered less intellectual then people using their intellect for something beneficial :3"

• Official Post

I like the idea of consuming scrap instantly, maybe charging a bar or amplifier and increasing the chance of scrap creation?

I also support scrap as a liquid but only as a config option.

Did you notice you necroposted an almost year old thread?
    Back to topic : The main idea was to make the recycler have an internal buffer to consume junk instantly, filling its internal storage, but now its entirely POINTLESS as we have vanilla hopper.

Hopper above recycler, doublechest above hopper. There you go your junk buffer.
    Hopper below recycler, chest/doublechest below hopper. There you go your scrap buffer.