Suggestion- Base Defenses for Jetpacks (EMP Field Generator)

• Is this a good idea? 11

1. Yes (7) 64%
    2. No (4) 36%
    3. Yes, but with some changes (suggest those changes in the comments) (0) 0%

I play on a raid server using tekkit. A huge problem that we have is that people have the ability to use this annoying thing :Jetpack: :Electric Jetpack: to fly over your walls and get into your base. You're not going to survive very long when people can just pop into your base with a jetpack. As a result, many people tend to build bases deep underground (we have factions so this makes them completely impenetrable) which kind of takes away from the whole point of minecraft as your not actually building anything and the bases look ugly. As the jetpack is pretty useful when your using it to build an etc, I wouldnt want it to be taken out.

My suggestion is an EMP field generator to scramble jetpacks and make people fall out of the sky when it activates. It could be an extension of the tesla coil, with the tesla coil used in the recipe and also a lot of other materials to make it expensive. It would probably have to be a directional field so that you do not scramble yourself with it. It could create a rectangle field that is 3x16xAll the way up to the sky and all the way down to bedrock, any be rotated with a wrench. It would also be helpful if you included something that would let you know where the field is so you can make sure there are no gaps in your wall. It could also have spaces for upgrades such as range upgrades or an upgrade that "shocks" the people it attacks (They take damage and the blindness effect is applied to them or whatever). You could also set it up so that by default it only stops electric jetpacks and the upgrade makes it so that it stops fuel jetpacks as well.

This machine should have a high energy consumption, but it should have a high range (I mean come on, its ridiculous that a tesla coil only goes 4 blocks).

• Official Post

Instead of an EMP that disabled jetpacks, I would like some kind of automated turret (with white-list) that fires either bullets (if provided gunpowder + iron/bronze) or laser (if provided energy through cables).

Also if you want to block jetpacks you can make roofs. [And run a EV cable over roof that kills jetpack players in two hits]
    Or use Forcefield addon.

• This would probably be covered by the (eventual) Industrial Conflict addon that Al and the rest of the boys are working on - but as long as the topic's here...

I kinda agree with SpwnX on this one. It'd be better to have some sort of Flak system that can target any flyers if supplied with either gunpowder or a sufficient amount of EU.

• Instead of an EMP that disabled jetpacks, I would like some kind of automated turret (with white-list) that fires either bullets (if provided gunpowder + iron/bronze) or laser (if provided energy through cables).

Flak turrets are a active defens system that could atract a lot of unwanted atention, and for sure that thing will need some kind of ammo and power to maintain the target acquisition system.

I don't say that its a bad idea, but if you want something more discret that don't yell "HERES MAH BASE, HERE ARE MAH BALLS AND THIS IS MAH LAZER! COME AND GET ME NIGGA!!!", some EU-expensive kindoffieldgeneratordevice would be great.

• Official Post

I don't say that its a bad idea, but if you want something more discret that don't yell "HERES MAH BASE, HERE ARE MAH BALLS AND THIS IS MAH LAZER! COME AND GET ME NIGGA!!!", some EU-expensive kindoffieldgeneratordevice would be great.

Well if you fall during a flight and your jetpack has fuel, it will tell you that there is a base somewhere near... It is just a matter of time to find.
    And if you really want to block intruders you could use Forcefield addon.

• Well the whole idea here isnt to hide from them with an emp, its to stop them from getting in no matter how hard they try. And something i forgot to mention was quantum suit, maybe it could just like reduce quantum boot jumps to half height or something like that.

• Discharge EU powered items from afar...

But how would EMP prevent Fuel Jetpack?

Completely preventing other's movement is bad decision IMHO.

• Fuel jetpack should not be affected, because it is less powerful, right? An advantage to using it, instead of a EU powered one. (Right now, the fuel jetpack seems kinda useless to me..)

Haikus are poems

They don't always make sense

Potato

• i dont know if its because of tekkit or whatever but electric jetpack flies all the way up the map on my server. and a fuel jetpack would be affected because it would still have some circuitry to control it (if it was possible in the real world)

• Ok, So we have The Anti-Flying-Backpack-EMP 2000, The AJP-Flak 90210, and the Silenced-EU-Sky-Field 51.
    Never was a fan of flying

Maybe they can be also used for other electronic things.
    But If he implements a Flak Gun, then...

If he implements any of theses Ideas then Industrial craft looses it's focus of construction. (Not that that is a bad thing)
    This would be the 1st Anti-Steve weapon ( :Tesla Coil: was designed for anti mob). People would then expect more weapons.

I would Love to see a weapon part to industrial craft, but it probably will not be implemented.

• Ablaka is working on more pvp stuff for IC2 i think.

EMP would be nice. It should not completely disable quantum suits however it should just remove alot of the damage reduction and reduce the other abilities in effectiveness. Enough to make them killable if properly ambushed.

• Official Post

Ablaka is working on more pvp stuff for IC2 i think.

EMP would be nice. It should not completely disable quantum suits however it should just remove alot of the damage reduction and reduce the other abilities in effectiveness. Enough to make them killable if properly ambushed.

Industrial Conflict expansion which has no release date and no one know any kind of preview.
    EMPs strength could depend on how much EU/t you are feeding the EMP generator. Lets say that 150EU/t would completely nullify any kind of electrical stuff.
    We also would be able to coat machines to protect them from EMPs, otherwise they get damaged and stops working (GUI and sprite gets changed).

• Whats the industrial conflict expansion? and is there a website or forum post for it?

It's not an expansion, it's a named update which will come in the future Alblaka mentioned somewhen.

The forum won't let me specify my gender accurately, so I'll just use my signature to say that I go by they/them pronouns.