Automatic Crop Farming

• First of all, I would like to apologize first. I realise I should become part of the forum community and read all the stickies before asking for support but I'm eager to see if anyone can give me an answer to this.

This has probably been asked several times and even redirecting me to a thread with this question would be a major help if possible (since I could not find any).

Automated IC2 Crop Farms. It's basically impossible in Tekkit. I've tried with ComputerCraft Turtles, RedPower 2 Deployers and assemblers and its possible to break the block but its impossible to have any device "right click" the crop and harvest it. So my questions are as follows. Is there any way at all possible to automate the crop harvesting process at the moment in Tekkit? (I know its possible with Thaumcraft but it's not included in Tekkit). Is this a bug with the deployers? I'm just curious since a deployer is essentially a "Right Click", why does this not work with IC2 crops? And if it is not a bug, can we expect to see a device in the future that will automatically harvest these crops?

I find it a heavy limitation to be quite honest. IC2 is all about efficiency, when people try to make their farms as efficient as possible without doing any labour it becomes disappointing when there are physical limitations to the automation process.

Regardless, IC2 is an incredible mod and if any of the modders and mod contributors are reading this, thanks very much for a fantastic, stable mod which completely redesigns how minecraft works. :D

• Assuming you mean crop stick crops, I don't even think Thaumcraft can harvest them, and I severely doubt that there will ever be a way to auto harvest them. The way I see it, crops can be a great asset, but overall they were meant to be a side task, and an inconvenient one at that. Taking away the inconvenience of the crops would make them something that everyone spams just like Solars, people would get their crops to very high levels, and then just afk while their crops mass produce iron, gold, nether wart etc. and it would be even worse if you have an addon like IDN crops installed, which would allow access to copper, tin, blaze rods, enderpearls, and much more, it's for this rationale that I think autoharvesting of IC2 crops is not currently planned and probably never will be implemented.
    On the subject of Redpower deployers and assemblers, are you certain you understand the concept of them? They were meant for one way interaction with the world through placing blocks, shooting lasers, using tools like hoes etc., they function off what is inside the GUI, therefore if there is nothing inside the GUI, logically nothing will happen.

Also, I'll agree with Monoxide here Tekkit/Technic are very flame-happy topics here, if you can avoid mentioning them (except in a bug report where it is necessary), it's probably for the best

Is the answer to this question no?

Hey don't take it so hard. Ignorance is part of this generation it seems. -the wise words of XFmax-o-l

• Yeah that's true the valuable plants could be abused, but what if the invaluable plants could be auto harvested? Perhaps they could be planted without sticks, I'm thinking possibly Cocoa, Stickreed, Hops, Terra Wart, Coffee. And the other more valuable crops have to be placed on crop sticks so they can't be auto harvested (We'll just say those plants are more delicate. ;) )

Also I guess I was wrong about the deployers, I thought they would simulate right clicking without an item if there was nothing placed in them. :pinch:

It's basically impossible in Tekkit

Are you using Forestry?

:)

Anyway, I did not know that existed, Mistaqur never ceases to amaze me with his stuff

Hey don't take it so hard. Ignorance is part of this generation it seems. -the wise words of XFmax-o-l

• Not true, all seals affected crops including the faster growth and the collection one.

Oh, the thought literally never occurred to me to try that out, I was pretty certain that because the EE Harvest Goddess Band didn't harvest them (or at least I don't think it does), that they didn't technically count as "plants". Brb, adding azanor to the list of people that never cease to amaze me

• Are you using Forestry? Have you looked at the IC2 crops add-in for Forestry? http://www.mod-buildcraft.com/…rops-plugin-for-forestry/

That's awesome. Downloading forestry and the plugin. I'm going to give this a try, I didn't know that such a thing existed. :thumbup:

Also a neat way to get rich quick on emeralds if you obtain a librarian villager with a paper trade.

There will always be loopholes and exploits regardless of what is added to Minecraft, even vanilla Minecraft has its share of exploits that people take advantage of (infinite water, mob farms, etc.)

• Oh, the thought literally never occurred to me to try that out, I was pretty certain that because the EE Harvest Goddess Band didn't harvest them (or at least I don't think it does), that they didn't technically count as "plants". Brb, adding azanor to the list of people that never cease to amaze me

I asked azanor once about it and he told me he went out of his way to make it compatible with ic2 crops, but honestly speaking he didn't put much though in balancing. This was the farm design i used back when i played it:

That chest usually filled pretty fast, and below there was some RP tubes to convert all of it automatically to vis.