[Addon v1.110/112] Beam Me Up! v0.2.1 (early alpha!)

• That doesn't sound like it should work -- dematerializing is itself an energy-expensive process. UU-matter is already primed to be shaped into something else (hence why Steve can use just a regular old crafting table to produce stuff out of it), but regular matter isn't.

Well, to me it seems like creating matter from nothing would be more energy consuming than using existing matter in any form...

But it might just not be worth implementing that since most people might not want to destroy the target area.

• I'm surprised nobody told me BeamMeUp refuses to start on a server! Or, at least, it used to. Works now, though, from what I can tell... although I admit I didn't actually check that it *behaves* correctly on a server. But at least it no longer prevents the server from starting!

Get version 0.2.1, now officially a "release", from the OP, and keep messing around with it. I'm relying on you guys to tell me about bugs and how to trigger them.

• It doesn't work for me at all! I opened up lua in CC, I wrapped the transporter's peripheral, I set the target coordinates, I put a lock, I put a block on top the transporter, I called the transport method in the transport, it returned true and... voila, the most magestic thing (un)know to man happened! NOTHING!!!!!!!! Why?

• Did you try to teleport a block into another block? That's not permitted, as an anti-griefing measure. In future, I'll make the transporter actually drop the block if that happens -- as if broken by hand. Try a retrieve if you're not sure about your target coordinates, it's easier to check that the transporter platform is clear.

• Yes I checked! I made it teleport to the excact coordinates I was when I was standig and operating the CC computer! And I did move away!

• I'm responding from the other thread, so as to hopefully let it die? Anyways, thanks for such a quick response! How opposed are you to a multiblock structure? That would be the easiest way to increase the cost of the components, but would definitely make things a bit more difficult to code, and the lag could be minimized to only search for the other blocks by including them as apart of when the device is used (if you have the transport console, energizing coils, phase transition coils and molecular imaging scanner, but no transport platform, there could be problems). Similar to MFFS's pseudo-multiblocks, where you need a certain type of energy which can be transmitted wirelessly to other blocks which require their own added modifications for functionality.

If you were to use a multiblock structure, it looks like a minimum of transport platform (where the heisenberg compensators would be located), a console, the energizing coils can easily be replaced with mfsu's/whatever gregtech capacitor you want, and the phase transition coils and molecular imaging scanner could be functionally combined into a single unit. That would be 3 blocks required in addition to the capacitors.

Maybe take a page from greg's books, and use emeralds as data storage (rarer, don't have as many uses as diamonds), which would be useful in something that stores the necessary information to recompile teleported objects.

So, if you're teleporting a player to yourself, and there is no platform for them to materialize on, would that kill them? This could make a sweet assassination mechanic. Especially if you set things up so that they conveniently had a beacon on them at the time (have an ally throw it at their feet).

• Hm...Just a thought, but if you're planning on adding a GregTech level Hard Mode, you might want to make it require use of a GregTech level energy flow(aka use of a redstone'd Supercondensator to be able to charge it quick enough).
    Currently the only device which needs a Supercondensator is a Fusion Reactor, and even so, it uses it to down-convert the power output.
    Use of a new energy type which is in essence a super high value EU level(as these devices can be charged with EU, one could convert quite a lot of EU into a single energy unit for these devices) would make use of a Supercondensator to up-convert the EU would make sense in then.

Plus, Multiblock structures ROCK. I fully support using Multiblock setups to transport stuff, and remember, bitches love particle effects. I also love the idea of teleporting nukes into by foes bases, active ones. So I hope this all works well enough, because I'm adding it to my game.
    Might not be able to use it much, but it's still sweet.

Apprentice Redstoner, Professional Slacker

• I'm responding from the other thread, so as to hopefully let it die?

I'm okay with using both threads, I keep an eye on most of the IC2 forum regardless so it's no inconvenience to me either way.

Anyways, thanks for such a quick response! How opposed are you to a multiblock structure? That would be the easiest way to increase the cost of the components, but would definitely make things a bit more difficult to code, and the lag could be minimized to only search for the other blocks by including them as apart of when the device is used (if you have the transport console, energizing coils, phase transition coils and molecular imaging scanner, but no transport platform, there could be problems). Similar to MFFS's pseudo-multiblocks, where you need a certain type of energy which can be transmitted wirelessly to other blocks which require their own added modifications for functionality.

Mm, I do like that idea -- it might take a bit longer to write the code, and I'll need to poke The_Paragon to see if he has time/willingness to make textures for things, but it makes sense to have the transporters be multi-block structures.

If you were to use a multiblock structure, it looks like a minimum of transport platform (where the heisenberg compensators would be located), a console, the energizing coils can easily be replaced with mfsu's/whatever gregtech capacitor you want, and the phase transition coils and molecular imaging scanner could be functionally combined into a single unit. That would be 3 blocks required in addition to the capacitors.

Although keeping the phase coils and scanner separate is perfectly fine, as well. I rather suspect the Heisenberg compensator is actually a component of the molecular imaging scanner: it compensates for the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, after all.

Maybe take a page from greg's books, and use emeralds as data storage (rarer, don't have as many uses as diamonds), which would be useful in something that stores the necessary information to recompile teleported objects.

Emeralds as part of the console construction. I'm not sure it's feasible to have any portable storage of teleported things -- it would work for everything but players, and how does one logically explain that in-universe?

So, if you're teleporting a player to yourself, and there is no platform for them to materialize on, would that kill them? This could make a sweet assassination mechanic. Especially if you set things up so that they conveniently had a beacon on them at the time (have an ally throw it at their feet).

Ooh, that's a tricky one to balance: how do you make sure it's not too easy for players to get killed this way? Interdictors have a fairly small limited range compared to the distance a player might roam -- but now that I think of it, actually targeting a player will be exceptionally tricky in and of itself. Okay, I very much like it.

Hm...Just a thought, but if you're planning on adding a GregTech level Hard Mode, you might want to make it require use of a GregTech level energy flow(aka use of a redstone'd Supercondensator to be able to charge it quick enough).
    Currently the only device which needs a Supercondensator is a Fusion Reactor, and even so, it uses it to down-convert the power output.
    Use of a new energy type which is in essence a super high value EU level(as these devices can be charged with EU, one could convert quite a lot of EU into a single energy unit for these devices) would make use of a Supercondensator to up-convert the EU would make sense in then.

The thing about GregTech is I don't play with GT, and I rather do want to play my own mod, plus I don't really know what's available. The part that touches on it most closely in the current (mildly revised) implementation plan is just to allow you to plug in as much energy storage as you like and use the existing teleporter API bits to suck it dry quickly -- this should make GT storage blocks very useful as they'll give you more buffer, but that's about all I can safely do within the limits of my own playing style.

Plus, Multiblock structures ROCK. I fully support using Multiblock setups to transport stuff, and remember, bitches love particle effects. I also love the idea of teleporting nukes into by foes bases, active ones. So I hope this all works well enough, because I'm adding it to my game.
    Might not be able to use it much, but it's still sweet.

Yeah, I'm fully with you on that. It's an immensely fun idea with plenty of potential for what is otherwise a fairly simple addon.

Just to be clear, though, I'd like to reiterate what I've been saying lately: I'm currently being kept busy at my new workplace and development is naturally taking a back seat to that, and I'm also prioritizing LiquidUU above this addon, as I have some ideas there in the middle of being implemented. I will be making sure BMU continues to be updated to the latest MC/IC2/whatever, but LiquidUU is getting first pass at my limited addon-programming time for the foreseeable future.

And again, thank you all for the interest! It's what keeps me going.

• ^ Well, I just tried it. I'm glad they don't just teleport cleanly, but the duplication is kind of irritating. Guess I need to check if the setBlockAndMetadataWithNotify actually worked, which is irritating because I'm clearing the source blocks *after* I create the destination blocks. I think. I actually don't remember, it's been a while.

The fact that the source blocks turn into unbreakable ones is even more irritating (and strange). I guess the moral of the story is: don't do it, unless you have a way to destroy unbreakable blocks (like going into Creative).

• Betcha folks thought I'd forgotten about this? Not on your life, silly pants! Here's a status update that affects BeamMeUp:

Continuing the saga of figuring out where I grab time for myself from the fairly small bits thereof that life has been leaving me lately, I've managed to use most of today setting up a Jenkins at http://ci.narc.ro, and having it build both LiquidUU and BeamMeUp. What this means for the future: no more 'b' releases, ever -- they'll just get a build number increment instead. I'm quite happy about that, they were starting to look really ugly to me.

Regular players are strongly urged to continue using the normal download links in this post and on the narc.ro website, but those who, for some reason, want the bleeding edge (maybe saw something interesting in the commit history on github?) should be able to get their desires fulfilled now. As always, bug reports are very dear to me, just remember to tell me the versions of everything relevant so I know where you're coming from.

• Sweet. I'm currently thinking of toying with both BMU and Liquid UU and putting them into my Let's Play loadout. You've done some amazing work so far, keep it up.

• Thank you, and my apologies for the late reply (it slipped my mind, honest).

BMU is currently a lovely toy to have, but I'm not sure it's an all that useful one to have in a regular game session -- I've used it in my serious world a little bit, for moving extra-dimensional barrels and chests around, and for that it's great, but it's really cheaty in that it uses no power for its teleports.

Whenever I end up bouncing back to working on it, the teleport costs will definitely be the next thing to make it in. Transporter pads (as per the mechanics thread) will likely be the next thing after that, especially if I can get some alternate textures for the transporter main block -- the ones it has now fit the pads better. If The_Paragon is still watching, I'd love to have him do that, but he's indicated coming down with a serious case of the real life -- which is okay, because so have I, after all -- however, I will happily accept other people's submissions as long as they're willing to have their work be licensed under CC-BY.

As far as timing, though, no promises. I've only been working on LiquidUU's Liquid Electrolyzer for what, four months now? :)