Processing zombie flesh into regular leather

You are a developer, so you normally don´t suggest.

Actually, its more interesting why a developer is suggesting a multiple times suggested suggestion?...

• Lol, you wanted to avoid use of rotten flesh as Can food, but you've experienced some difficulties at finding something useful with rotten flesh ? ^^
    Anyway, I think it would be a good idea as Books are now a pain to get ...

Soon with Molten Salt Reactors, right ? :D
    NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• Lol, you wanted to avoid use of rotten flesh as Can food, but you've experienced some difficulties at finding something useful with rotten flesh ? ^^
    Anyway, I think it would be a good idea as Books are now a pain to get ...

Agreed... sometimes, trying to find that 2nd cow so that your animals can get some action on is overly infuriating due to how spawn mechanics work in Minecraft. Plus, I don't keep wolves, so it's not like I'm going to use this material anymore since my old food source was denied...

(still mad at you about that... btw)

Would anyone like to try a Slowpoke Tail?! Only 1 Million Yen!

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

Every Mod Author, in existence. And yet, you STILL say otherwise.

• I don't like it, IC2 doesn't really use leather/books and you can get leather from scrapboxes. Also leather is harder to get than rotten flesh, so it would only work in 1:8 or 1:16 ratio.

• No ? You never use enchantments to get more diamonds ? You're a strange one ^^.

Of course I use, but I get books from villages or using leather from actual cows. I don't think helping with enchanting should be the focus of IC2 (however tin recipe for obsidian already makes enchanting quicker in early game).

• such addition will strongly encourage mobfarms.

mobfarms is not funny in SMP and purely destructive for server performance.

you shoud implement such things as parts of agriculture, brewing, reactor or something, leather crop will be perfect for this.

• It's doesn't encourage mob farms.

getting leather from zombie flesh is extremely useful... for the beginning. When you start, you might not have any cows around you. Unlucky spawn (as in, 90% of them), and it's just not a starter option. However, mining can be done everywhere, and as such, so can a lot of IC2, so you may very well have a stack of zombie flesh and some basic machinery before you have any cow farm. That's when this becomes useful- when you want to make a your first enchanting room, or an item frame, or armor, and you just haven't had the time or patience to make proper cow farm.

in the long run, a simple cow farm is much better solution to get leather than anything else. even if turning zombie flesh into leather required to craft two in your inventory it would still be a much better way, so mob-farms concerns are purely non-issues.

In the short run, it's an awesome way to use a generally useless item for something.

• such addition will strongly encourage mobfarms.

mobfarms is not funny in SMP and purely destructive for server performance.

you shoud implement such things as parts of agriculture, brewing, reactor or something, leather crop will be perfect for this.

Maybe switch servers then on the server i play on we have no problem with lag from mobfarms.

I say give them a 8 rotten flesh to 1 leather ratio and it would be fine.

• something wrong with your server (or possibly you pooled too much money into it's hardware).

ever if such thing implemented (currently this can be done as 5 lines addon) it shoud be disabled by default.

also some time ago IC2 was strongly against magic, but now you decided to include mob farming as component...

• I explained precisely why it's NOT encouraging mob farming, and yet you seems to ignore me.

The short short version: small cow farms are infinity more useful and productive for this purpose than any mob farm. This thing is largely useful for getting some leather at the beginning or getting rid of zombie flesh.

• mob farm allow you to stay AFK 24*7 near mobfarm and get items for free.

in case of cows you need to perform much more actions then building mobfarm or finding spawner.

some use for useless item is not valid reason to kill vanilla agriculture.

• In what universe will you ever work more on a cow farm than even a simple spawner trap?! finding cows is easier than finding dungeons, growing wheat is easier than gearing up and fight zombies, breeding cows in a pen is much easier setting up than setting a mob trap, going around killing cows is much easier than building and maintaining a processing line. waiting for a mob trap is much longer than waiting for cows to grow, cow farms can be done next to home, cow farms makes easier food source (even with canning), cow farms are plain more fun to harvest than waiting for mobs. A mob farm might be more efficient for mass producing things.
    And leather is not needed in vast quantities- it is usually needed for a one time crafting: books, frames, and... well nothing. A single stack will probably last for your whole game. A cow farm is perfect for that: one day you decide you want books, so you breed your cows and then slaughter them. You'll never need a mob farm because you wont need an endless and steady supply of leather. Not to mention that a cow farm also gives you much better food, a lot less planing intensive, less laggy,requires less materials, can be acquired relatively easy...
    processing flesh will not kill vanilla agriculture: unless you want to coat your chunk sized bookshelf tower with item frames, vanilla agriculture is much cheaper and useful for leather.

And if you're determent to get automation for your leather for whatever insanity you plan, you can automate cow farming using Railcraft. And all of this won't even require any power.

• I like the idea. Rotten Flesh would be pretty similar to leather already. Old dried up zombie skin is pretty leathery etc. Maybe even just add a furnace recipe for it... Rotten Flesh -> Leather as you're cooking out the remaining moisture from it.

• If you are worried about balance, why not make a crafting recipe that takes 9 rotten flesh and makes one "Untanned Leather", which you can then take and put in a furnace to create 1 leather? That way, we don't have to worry about it becoming a much easier way of getting leather, while still putting a rather useless item to work for something that can come in handy.