Craftguide updated to 1.4.6 (the better NEI)

• As I've noticed that many people here use NEI to look up recipes, I'd like to advertise a bit for Craft Guide, which is in my opinion far better than NEI.

Benefits of CraftGuide over NEI:
    - It does automatically scan all recipes ingame and therefore knows all of them without relying on plugins or other stuff. Just hit G and you get crafting recipes for all mods immediately. Hit G while hovering over an item and you get only those for that item.
    - In addition the lack of an API also means that you do not need to wait for others to update their plugins every time the game updates.
    - It does not contain the cheat modes, which many might like if they actually try to play "legit". There is always "/gamemode 1" to enter creative mode if you actually need to cheat (and this is usually better sorted than NEI)
    - Recipes are displayed much cleaner and better arranged. You can even resize the window that display the recipes to have to display up to as many recipes as fit on your screen.
    - It does remember the last reciped you looked up. Just went back to the crafting table and forgot how the recipe looked like? Hit G and it will be displayed again.

After having to use NEI for a few days when 1.4.6 came out, I am so happy to be able to return to Craft Guide after that (imo) horrible experience. It is very clear how much more polished Craft Guide is over NEI, everything just works smoother and as you would expect it in contrast to the many minor quirks of NEI.

• Official Post

- It does automatically scan all recipes ingame and therefore knows all of them without relying on plugins or other stuff. Just hit G and you get crafting recipes for all mods immediately. Hit G while hovering over an item and you get only those for that item.

Uhhm NEI doesnt need Plugins for that too. Also some Mods have their NEI-Plugins integrated, so one doesn't have to wait for Craftguide to update.

- In addition the lack of an API also means that you do not need to wait for others to update their plugins every time the game updates.

I doubt you can read IC²-Crafting-Recipes and Redpower-Sawing properly with it, as they add another Recipe System. Also I seriously doubt the lack of an API is a good thing at all.

- It does not contain the cheat modes, which many might like if they actually try to play "legit". There is always "/gamemode 1" to enter creative mode if you actually need to cheat (and this is usually better sorted than NEI)

NEI uses "/gamemode = 1" to enable Creative and otherwise only uses Gamecommands of VanillaMC to cheat in Items (and then adds the NBT for said Item). Also you have to go into the options to enable cheats for noncheaty Worlds.

Also you can cheat in vanilla MC without Creative, so it's your decision if you wanna Cheat or not, as you can set that on Worldcreation.

- Recipes are displayed much cleaner and better arranged. You can even resize the window that display the recipes to have to display up to as many recipes as fit on your screen.

Well, that with the Size is right.

- It does remember the last reciped you looked up. Just went back to the crafting table and forgot how the recipe looked like? Hit G and it will be displayed again.

If you look Recipes up using the Search function of NEI, then you can do that by just clicking the needed Item for that, and you see all the correspondent Recipes, and are also able to show a holographic Display ON YOUR CRAFTINGTABLE, where you can see the Recipe.

After having to use NEI for a few days when 1.4.6 came out, I am so happy to be able to return to Craft Guide after that (imo) horrible experience. It is very clear how much more polished Craft Guide is over NEI, everything just works smoother and as you would expect it in contrast to the many minor quirks of NEI.

You haven't tested the good Features of NEI, and also didnt test, if the Cheat Mode can be disabled in the Config. Basically your opinion is basing on missing Information and therefor your Advertisement is not very effective at all.

Edit: This is misplaced, one shouldnt even be able to Post in this Forum-Section AT ALL. This belongs either to Addon Discoussion or Off-Topic.

• You put up a good argument there.

However, I use NEI for a different reason:

If something screws up in my world (got corrupted, etc) then what else do I do?

CraftGuide seemingly works right out of the box because the plugins are already integrated into most mods, unlike NEI.

I prefer NEI for the top reason I stated, and it isn't that big of a deal to get the plugins. I only use NEI for the recipes, and the cheat mode in creative mode or when my world gets corrupted. It's also never a bad idea to have one of these item cheats in handy. No one's forcing you to use it to cheat.

• Well, use what you like.

I use NEI for the following Reasons:

- Transparent Item-/Blocklist on the Side (not that ugly gray one, that blocks your hole Screen... sure you can adjust it, but then its pretty useless in my Opinion)
    - I already use CodeChickenCore and pretty much everything from him, so...

• You forgot the part where you can search for items in NEI but not in CraftGuide.

Disappointed with the bugs and nerfedness of AtomicStryker Corp's Advanced Machines, and the unupdatedness of Snyke's Enterprises?
    Need low-lag renewable power?
    Come to ImmTech Intragalactical this thread for free UUM!

Note: UUM may stand for Unnerfed Unbuggy Updated Machines and may not be actual UUM. The extra U was lost due to a bit error.
    Battery snot included.

• You forgot the part where you can search for items in NEI but not in CraftGuide.

There is a search bar in CraftGuide as well.

Uhhm NEI doesnt need Plugins for that too. Also some Mods have their NEI-Plugins integrated, so one doesn't have to wait for Craftguide to update.

Quote from NEI installation instructions: "Mistaqur has plugins for Thaumcraft, Buildcraft, Forestry, Railcraft and an IC2 fix at https://bitbucket.or...ugins/wiki/Home"
    You as well need the Red Power plugin as without several items are not shown in the list.
    And now guess what works right out of the box without any plugins for those mods. ;)

I doubt you can read IC²-Crafting-Recipes and Redpower-Sawing properly with it, as they add another Recipe System.

Still it has all the macerator, extractor and so on recipes right out of the box.

show a holographic Display ON YOUR CRAFTINGTABLE, where you can see the Recipe.

Never have seen any on my project table. And since you can't just lookup the recipe again without searching it, things became more and more difficult the later the night became. ;)

You haven't tested the good Features of NEI, and also didnt test, if the Cheat Mode can be disabled in the Config. Basically your opinion is basing on missing Information.

That is what I mean with polishing. CraftGuide works just fine right out of the box, while with NEI you need to install plugins, configure things and then still might not get everything you want/need.

and therefor your Advertisement is not very effective at all.

I am not advertising to get people to use CraftGuide instead of NEI, but show some alternatives. Maybe there are people completely happy with NEI the way it is, so let them be. But maybe others (like me) are annoyed by NEI and would love an alternative, maybe CraftGuide could be that alternative.

• So... we're in the Addons forum, and nobody's mentioned that CraftGuide does have an API, and that IC2 explicitly has integration for it built into IC2 itself? I am disappoint.

With that said, my personal opinion is that CraftGuide is brilliant, but I've gotten used to NEI's quirks, so I'm probably going to keep using the latter. Also, this thread should almost certainly be in Addon Discussion.

• Advertisement often works with catchy sentences. ;)

But what I meant with my sentence was to not tell someone that they must use CG form now on, but that they have the option to if they are not satisfied with NEI.

• Advertisement often works with catchy sentences. ;)

But what I meant with my sentence was to not tell someone that they must use CG form now on, but that they have the option to if they are not satisfied with NEI.

That's quite the backpedal, considering the whole purpose of posting this thread was to convince us all that Craftguide is better than NEI.

?(

• Okay, question. Does CraftGuide tell you any of the Industrial Centrifuge's recipes? Thought not.

That's the entire point in NEI's API. CraftGuide, as far as I know, only knows the vanilla GUIs. NEI can look up any and all of those up WITHOUT any plugins (other than RP2 Microblocks and IC2 Crafting, but those don't use the standard crafting API.) That is, without a Railcraft plugin, you could still see how to make Coke Oven Bricks. The point in plugins is for mods like GregTech that add GUIs that NEI doesn't know about, like the Industrial Centrifuge. Without the API, it's terribly hard to find out how to get mod items.

Anyway, I haven't got anything against CraftGuide, I just wanted to explain why the API is necessary for mods like GregTech, TE, and IC2 to see how to get Steel (Blast Furnace or Industrial Blast Furnace,) Silicon Cells (Industrial Centrifuge Redstone or a few other things,) Redstone Energy Cells, or Gold Dust (How's CraftGuide supposed to know about the Macerator? The macerator didn't tell it about itself.)

Let’s play good guys against bad guys… Yes. Let’s play that. Are you ready? You’re the bad guy. And when you’re bad, you just run. That’s fine right? Well… Shall we play?

Edited once, last by Craftiyan ().

• The only NEI "plugin" I have is one that tells me the UU recipes, but also adds the option to include heat and EU returns on the tooltips of all burnable items.

• Never have seen any on my project table. And since you can't just lookup the recipe again without searching it, things became more and more difficult the later the night became. ;)

Did you install the RedPower Plugin :sleeping: plus, the addons section is for addons, not other mods with compatbility, that you didn't make, it would be like if I put up a RedPower is updated to 1.4.6 thread up in the addons section, because 'its a forge mod, and its compatible'. IC2 has native CraftGuide Support, as with native NEI support, why, CRAFTGUIDE HAS AN API!!!! :pinch:

• Thread is pointless imo. You are aware that you can use both NEI/Craftguide simutaneously? I've done it on 1.2.5 and from what i see, it's still possible. So poof with this does not belong in the "IC2 addons sections" There is no download here.

God blesses the child that can hold its own.