Single use miner ???

• just a crazy random idea.
    Single use miner:

pros:
    cheap recipe
    no need to place tool/scaner/pipes inside
    no need to set up power grid. just power it once before use or fuel (single use battery) powered (included in recipe)

cons:
    unretrievable
    can't go further than 70 blocks
    can't deal with water/lava
    can mine only metals. can't mine diamonds/lazuli/redstone/gems/etc (because of cheap magnetic scanner maybe)

makes no sense to use with mods like COG due to low yield

Communication and discussion + constructive critisism = Good Ideas

• While it is somewhat appealing, it just seems like a waste of iron to make something that is irretrievable... Or do you mean that even by wrenching it you just get the basic machine block back? Although I do give you props for making something that seems original. Explain a bit more about your idea though, try to really win over people, convince them that your idea is useful/good/whatever...

:Nuke TNT: = Answer to all problems. Including that creeper camping right outside the door of your glass house.

• To me the Idea sounds interesting, since the main issue with the miner (or the main issue I have with the miner) is the fact it's a long tme to set up compared to what you'll get with (especially in comparison with Quarry/Vanilla Mining)

Soon with Molten Salt Reactors, right ? :D
    NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• The way i see it it's just a way to bolster your tech advance in early game.

miner recipe could include:
    2-4 SU batteries (finaly some use to its single use ))))))
    machine block *
    regular mining pipe (or 64 tin mining pipes if possible to make such a recipe)
    magnetic scanner *
    chest*

*get it back upon dismantle

magnetic scanner recipe could be:
    some cables, redstone and compass.

It would be neat to have scanner as a separate tool for scanning area below player down to bedrock (or maybe just 16-20 blocks) to get amount of metal ore blocks (just amount not value) but thats another story...

Thus you lose around 3/4 of refined iron ingot per miner
    1/8 of copper ingot
    1/4 of redstone and coal dust
    some wood and rubber which are renewable anyway

default config options would limit the ores it "sees" to iron copper and tin since its a low tech starter kit (kind of)
    and max depth should be hardcoded and limited by 50-64 blocks

Im a liitle bit hesitant about mining mechanics and whether and what pipes it should use. tin pipes maybe ? which should be cheap and abundant

GUI should include:
    1. power meter. It still has to be even if you cant recharge your miner. so if too much an ore is present it could deplete itself before mining everything or it can be traped in natural cobblestone gen etc. retrieves pipes without eu cost upon power depletion.
    2.storage area for ores and stuff.
    3. pipe slot (if there will be any)
    4. depth meter (just for fun to see where it is)

the whole idea is kinda crazy in its alpha so... if you have any idea - just help me out

p.s. tin mining pipe recipe is mining pipe with 6 tin ingots. gives you 8-16 tin mining pipes

• You already have it, it's called dynamite, and you get 8 per batch made....

Would anyone like to try a Slowpoke Tail?! Only 1 Million Yen!

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

Every Mod Author, in existence. And yet, you STILL say otherwise.

• only if you fond of wrecked terrain and loathe automatizaton ))

• imho there got to be a logical explanation of how it works.

if you use Itnt and not pipes then it should leave a trail of looks-like-after-explosion caverns.

and about self consuming thing. it either leaves some inventory block after itself, or spits everything around.

p.s. might be funny. Say it is priming itself for e few seconds and then caboooooom it spits all items a few blocks upward. everything flying around, lots of noise...

• How about crafting a cheaper miner version, together with a few pieces of ITNT and then place a miner which will perform it's full mining operation within a few seconds (maybe a minute), consuming itself in the process?

Lol. I'm not sure if it was intended to be a joke, or if you're speaking seriously ... if it was serious, then I like the Idea of a miner that consume ITNT to mine (because for now, mining with TNT is cool, but ... a it random, and not that cheap for what you'll get ^^). If you were joking ... then you succesfuly trolled us :p

Soon with Molten Salt Reactors, right ? :D
    NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• How about crafting a cheaper miner version, together with a few pieces of ITNT and then place a miner which will perform it's full mining operation within a few seconds (maybe a minute), consuming itself in the process?

I like this idea, but think it would be even better if it made a big hole, same as if you used dynamite to go all the way down to bedrock.

• afaik right now ic2 is THE ONLY mod that offers "intelligent mining".
    BC quarries, thaumatic bores, cc turtles and rp humongous mining thingies etc mine everything there is leaving huge unusable, unesthetic and non-realistic terrain behind.

im just trying to develop the idea and give player an options to automate mining in more than one way.

• Official Post

How about crafting a cheaper miner version, together with a few pieces of ITNT and then place a miner which will perform it's full mining operation within a few seconds (maybe a minute), consuming itself in the process?

As mentioned before, either it be a joke or not , here is my opinion/suggestion :
    A cheaper version of the miner which uses dynamite sticks (a half stack per full operation, doesnt matter how many blocks it digs) instead of mining pipes and has a 50% of chance of destroying itself (on completion) as it uses dynamites to dig. It could be called "DynaMiner"

Recipe could be :
    :Copper Ingot::Advanced Circuit::Copper Ingot:
    :Tin Dust::Copper Ingot::Tin Dust:
    :Mining Laser::Coal Dust::Mining Laser:

:Copper Ingot: = bronze :Tin Dust: = redstone :Advanced Circuit: = Mini circuit [recipe is tin cable with 2 redstone around] :Coal Dust: = flint and steel :Mining Laser: = ITNT