[GT-Suggestions] I still look at this Thread when I got out of Ideas for new things, yes really I do that. Even though I don't edit this Post anymore.

• Official Post

I like the idea, though having a direct line of sight to bedrock similar to MFR's drill could also work. The higher you build it, the more ridiculously expensive it becomes to drill down, and maybe implement a small heat loss over distance?

It would make Greg's life harder. (coding a block pipe, that stops the multiblock operation when broke...)
    I rather have it close to bedrock, looks cooler. There is no "close to bedrock" dependant generators (aka real geothermals) at the moment.

• I like it. Personally, I'd like if it required a bit less chrome, but I suppose I can understand the expense, given how much power it has.

EDIT: Setting it up like your image, that will cost 50 chrome, plus 20 titanium... How much chrome does it cost to make a fusion reactor?

Maybe you could add a Tungstensteel machine casing, Greg?

• Official Post

ike it. Personally, I'd like if it required a bit less chrome, but I suppose I can understand the expense, given how much power it has.

EDIT: Setting it up like your image, that will cost 50 chrome, plus 20 titanium... How much chrome does it cost to make a fusion reactor?

Maybe you could add a Tungstensteel machine casing, Greg?

300, JUST for the advanced machine casings, a hell more for the rest.
    http://gregtechcommunitywiki.wikispaces.com/Fusion+Reactor
    Go calculate by yourself.
    I would like tungstensteel machine casing, so some tier 3 stuff can be made. (I consider reinforced tier 2 and advanced tier 4).
    Then distilattion tower would replace advanced ones with tungstensteel.

• That's enough to know that using advanced casings for that generator would make absolutely no sense whatsoever, considering that chrome is the primary resource in making a fusion reactor...

• I'm not a big fan of jet packs our anything that can make you fly but you need to fly in the end to get around astoroids. I would like to suggest rocket ships that can only be used in the end. Some extra ideas to it would be for some reason you can only craft the ship in parts on there overwold and the parts can only be moved by minecarts . Make them dock to approx astoroids so it's doesn't fly off. Ill leave it here for now it's getting really annoying trying to type this message from my phone. Ill fix the typos tomorrow when I get on a computer

• I'm not a big fan of jet packs our anything that can make you fly but you need to fly in the end to get around astoroids. I would like to suggest rocket ships that can only be used in the end. Some extra ideas to it would be for some reason you can only craft the ship in parts on there overwold and the parts can only be moved by minecarts . Make them dock to approx astoroids so it's doesn't fly off. Ill leave it here for now it's getting really annoying trying to type this message from my phone. Ill fix the typos tomorrow when I get on a computer

You want Spacecraftsjust for the End? USUCKURGAYUMUSTBEAREALNOOBJETPACKISENOUGHFORTHEENDANDASERTOIDSWANTSPACECRAFTSFORSPACe!

• Chrome isn't exactly difficult to get in large quantity (at the point in the game where it matters).

Love that Geothermal generator idea personally. How much in energy profit do you expect it to produce? I would personally expect around 300 - 400 EU/t considering the cost, but I would still use them if 250 EU/t in profit energy was produced. Simply because of the ease of use. Those large gas turbines are a pain in the ass, the steam ones are nice though considering the boilers function as centrifuges for the cost of a small amount of coal.

Still waiting on those Large Diesel Generators Greg... Tired of using all this extra diesel fuel as a home remedy for all sorts of stuff. (works great for removing stains though)

There is an idea for lead + fuel - make the large diesel generators need maintenance less at the expense of a bit of output, or more pollution when that is eventually added.
    ed: actually just read on up on what TEL does... so ya, the opposite of what i just said above, except the more pollution part.

• The problem I was trying to point out isn't how expensive it is, and how difficult chrome is to obtain... The problem is that why would you want to spend all that chrome, and probably delay your march to a fusion reactor when a fusion reactor is so much better?

• Official Post

The problem I was trying to point out isn't how expensive it is, and how difficult chrome is to obtain... The problem is that why would you want to spend all that chrome, and probably delay your march to a fusion reactor when a fusion reactor is so much better?

The problem of fusion reactor is the HUGE automation setup it requires to run it constantly. Not to forget you need a backup source, in case something fails.

My idea explains that it produces STEAM as a real geothermal generator, which can be further consumed in a steam turbine (or in whatever steam consuming thing you use).
    After 8 hours of core digging it would produce 256 mB/t of steam (1,5x if in "hell" biome) worth 512 EU/t (1,5x ...).

• After 8 hours of core digging it would produce 256 mB/t of steam (1,5x if in "hell" biome) worth 512 EU/t (1,5x ...).

Yeah, well, that'll kind of suck in SSP :)

Also I don't really like the idea of fully renewable energy source, even if it's expensive as hell. There should be some sort of consumable there besides water or perhaps it should use a whole lot more water than regular steam producers to make ti more balanced.

• Official Post

Yeah, well, that'll kind of suck in SSP :)

Also I don't really like the idea of fully renewable energy source, even if it's expensive as hell. There should be some sort of consumable there besides water or perhaps it should use a whole lot more water than regular steam producers to make ti more balanced.

You need millions of energy to dig over that 8 hours, pipes, drill and constant maintenance (when the drill is working), it will be a pain to set one at maximum depth then you still need to give it some maintenance, not to forget it has to be at bedrock level.

What about making it explode, when the player fails maintenance, then it spills tons of lava everywhere.

• You need millions of energy to dig over that 8 hours, pipes, drill and constant maintenance (when the drill is working), it will be a pain to set one at maximum depth then you still need to give it some maintenance, not to forget it has to be at bedrock level.

Again, that all won't matter much (for me personally) if it still ends up as energy from nothing.

If you need millions of energy to get it running it'll be even worse for SSP. Most people play <10h per week, if one needs several weeks from initial setup to becoming energy-positive it's as good as useless. One can quite likely drain enough lava even from overworld in that time to get a couple of orders of magnitude more energy, not to mention far lower cost of materials.

Having said that, the idea itself is not something I'd be 100% against. I'm just pointing out that it needs different kind of balancing. Just requiring ages of idling is not adding anything useful to the game.

• Official Post

Again, that all won't matter much (for me personally) if it still ends up as energy from nothing.

If you need millions of energy to get it running it'll be even worse for SSP. Most people play <10h per week, if one needs several weeks from initial setup to becoming energy-positive it's as good as useless. One can quite likely drain enough lava even from overworld in that time to get a couple of orders of magnitude more energy, not to mention far lower cost of materials.

Having said that, the idea itself is not something I'd be 100% against. I'm just pointing out that it needs different kind of balancing. Just requiring ages of idling is not adding anything useful to the game.

SSP players also are hindered to set up a fusion reactor.

If you didn't notice, it kinda sustains itself.
    4 EU/t at depth 1, will output 2 mB/t of steam (worth 4 EU/t). So you will have 0 bonus, unless you stop drilling OR drill in the nether.
    The more time you take on it, more energy you get on it. It is something you slowly progress (over 8 hours), then you can leave it alone for some days,before maintenance.

• SSP players also are hindered to set up a fusion reactor.

There is a huge difference between just spending a ton of resources to get something running and having to wait for ages doing absolutely noting (besides making sure enough energy is fed into the machine). With fusion reactor once a person has it up with appropriate production line they immediately get energy from it.

• Official Post

There is a huge difference between just spending a ton of resources to get something running and having to wait for ages doing absolutely noting (besides making sure enough energy is fed into the machine). With fusion reactor once a person has it up with appropriate production line they immediately get energy from it.

Then make the dig time configurable. Not to mention you don't have to babysit the damn machine. Just go mine or whatever.

"increasedigtimewithdepth=false"
    "basedigtime=1200"
    "extradigtimewithdepth=100"

• Official Post

:Geothermal Generator::Geothermal Generator::Geothermal Generator:
    :Geothermal Generator::Geothermal Generator::Geothermal Generator:
    :Geothermal Generator::Geothermal Generator::Geothermal Generator::Glass Fibre::Glass Fibre::Glass Fibre::Glass Fibre::Glass Fibre::MFS-Unit:
    :Coal Chunk::Miner::Coal Chunk:
    :Coal Chunk::Mining Drill::Coal Chunk:

• Guess why I introduced maintenance, so that you have something to do while waiting.

Sooo, how often do you see would that bedrock-geogen need maintenance over the suggested 8h waiting period?