[GT-Suggestions] I still look at this Thread when I got out of Ideas for new things, yes really I do that. Even though I don't edit this Post anymore.

• @bove: Agreed. I suggested such a thing to Vanilla IC2 a long time ago, and I feel like GT should have a breeding thingy, actually hard, random and not as easy as Forestry (which become easier once you know how to get each species) and of course less OP since it would kust help for energy generation.

I think a big tank-fermenter which would takes an unbelievable time to refine stuff into various fuels would be cool, and then adding bacterias/micro sea weeds would decrease this time while greatly increasing the energy benefit (generating alcohols, hydrogen, methane at differents ratio input/output, speed, all of that depending on the species you use). As of the breeding system, I think a GUI-mini game like the nuclear reactor one would be fun ;). But it should definitely be difficult enough so stupid people wouldn't succeed ^^.

What about a Darwin-like approach (life evoluting because of not well adapted organism dies, but you could put your own additional conditions so they devellop like you want ^^) ?
    As an example, you could use kinds of food cells to help the bacteria you want to devellop, but it might as well prevent them from becoming more resistant. In the same way, light-making conponent would help but wouldn't help selecting species not needing light to devellop. Radioactive cells could be used to increase the rate of mutation but would sometime kill some cells. In the end, you'd like to impose the harshest conditions possible to your cells so you only get the bests, but you might get cells able to process fuel without light, energy (heat) or enhanced foods, but they might be less efficient in terms of energy generation than others, and you might also kill all your organism or most of them and so need to start breeding again from scratch (or almost) ^^. I even think the breeding thingy could also be the fermentation device itself. Anyway, I'm talking too much and would explain that, if Greg was likely to implement such a thing ^^.

On a (not that) unrelated note: Is someone posting on BC-forums/able to suggest stuff to SirSengir ?
    Because I thought about what made bees OP compared to IC2 crossbreeding and easily found it: apart from the randomness of IC2 crossbreeding, I think the biggest differents are weeds. That's why I thought it would be nice if Forestry had a Config so Bees (and trees) can die from diseases, in a hard-to-prevent&weakening-species way, like IC2 WeedEx. But the thing is I'd also like nerfs of farms, engines and Biofuel, so I guess I'm not likely to use Forestry before a while xD

Soon with Molten Salt Reactors, right ? :D
    NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• Official Post

Basically, bacteria breeding, so we can build our very own super bacteria resistant to anything and collapse the world, lol.

Uh, back to reality, bacteria breeding so it can work faster/better/yield byproducts on fermentation devices (or anything that requires them).
    Sidenote : Organic matter, alongside carbohydrates (main component of any living thing), has other elements in very tiny amounts, even uranium!
    Those elements could be extrated using bacterias that has a genetic affinity to uranium. However that would require a significant amount of decomposable matter.
    Sidenote 2 : There are bacterias that produces energy from light... that affinity could be mixed in, to increase overall bacteria reproduction rate.

Bacteria breeding, the new "breeding" system.
    It would be very cool to see bacterias that "extracts" any kind of element from organic matter and "condense" them.
    Note that it wouldn't be able to get specific stuff like "quartz", "lapis" and such. It would only be able to get elementary stuff, like Uranium (U), Iron (Fe), Mercury (Hg) and other elements.

• SpawnX, that's what Extra Bees and GT's crops are for.

I did have the idea of having some kind of nether bacteria, which slowly consumes sulfer/netherrack VERY slowly, and produces lava, but did I mention that it's slow?
    That should really be the extent of materials made by bacteria... Maybe lithium and sodium. Their main attraction should be energy generation, not materials.

• Official Post

SpawnX, that's what Extra Bees and GT's crops are for.

I did have the idea of having some kind of nether bacteria, which slowly consumes sulfer/netherrack VERY slowly, and produces lava, but did I mention that it's slow?
    That should really be the extent of materials made by bacteria... Maybe lithium and sodium. Their main attraction should be energy generation, not materials.

Bees main attraction are honey and such, however they also produce random materials...

Why bacterias would be different?
    Their main is to decompose organic matter into burnable fuel. However if you use some genetically enchanced bacteria, it can extract tiny amounts of elements from organic matter and condense them.
    Some bacterias has 300 times more an element than in environment, like arsenic, for no apparent reason. We could extract that.

Nether-aligned bacterias would produce tiny amounts of phosphor and sulfur, alongside fuel from decomposed organic matter.

Bacterias wouldn't be as OP as bees as they requires decomposable matter to work, instead of flowers that lasts forerver.

• Orrrr, something I came up with on a walk, why not add bacteria as an optional/alternative step in ore processing?

For example, you could get a bacteria from iron ore which is effective at accumulating iron. This allows you to get more iron from your ore, while still allowing you to get a small amount of nickel and maybe tin. However, without breeding, these would be less effective then a grinder, with the only real advantage being that they can be acquired at a lower tier and cost less EU. This gives an incentive to breed them, so you can get yields equaling or surpassing technology.

Or, you could use bacteria to get different yields from your ores. For example, using a gold-accumulating bacteria could allow you to find miniscule gold impurities in iron ore (and perhaps even in cobblestone?) at the cost of other yields, as well as biomass. This could also be applied to other materials as well, and if the bacteria can extract from cobblestone then it should obviously be slow and take a lot of biomass with little yield. Perhaps it could also output sand or silicon as well.

And yes, this is much like your suggestion, SpawnX, but this at least has the potential to be non-infinite, for people who play without cobble generators. It also adds a bit of extra complexity and logic to it.

• @bculatter2: Ore processing ? Get a fully crushed Ore, then Ants would be better IMO ^^. But I agree that bacterias should be mainly to get way more EU from organic thingies than using the IC2 biofuel way. And so, harvesting ressources of any kind should be more difficult, and leads most of yout bacterias to the death ;)

NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• Official Post

And so, harvesting ressources of any kind should be more difficult, and leads most of yout bacterias to the death ;)

This.
    To achieve "material extraction" from bacterias you would need high reproductibility + mechanical resistance + genetic affinity to an element, otherwise you would end up killing ALL your colony.

• I don't think it is any more unrealistic than free minerals from bees. That said, using them for ore processing would be weird. I like the idea of bacteria as 'industrial bees" with more realistic genetics and requiring resource input, but they should be limited to organic products. ( one of the reasons I don't really like extra bees, I don't mind most of the things, but producing metals and other naturally nonrenewable resources is weird(also, the spelling of "weird" is weird))

• Yeah, I agree, especially since it's the main reason that makes me hate EB&T. I think this should work only with organic stuff, and wouldn't generate stuff by itself, but just process organic stuff in a ULTRA efficient way. And so, stuff like Iron could be obtained from some Materials by special bacterias, but it should stay a BYproduct, which means automating its generation would be harder than using UUM to do so ^^.
    To me, only the following stuff should work:
    every kinds of plants and their derivatives. Woodlog, planks, wood pulp, flowers, grass, vines, mushrooms, sticky resin, Compressed Plantballs ...
    Oil, stuff from Brewing system (and also maybe from Crossbreeding, but I don't see the point of wasting crops like that ^^
    Almost all Mob stuff, which is a bit organic. Rotten Flesh, Bones (renewable Calcium and traces of radioactive stuff ^^), Zombie Brain from TC3, Leather etc ...
    ALL kinds of food, but canned food would leave the can ^^.
    Stuff like Sulphur, Phosphorus/Apatite/Fertilizer/Radioactive stuff/Sugar/Light maker/Heater would of course boost some stats.
    Even Coal and Charcoal could be used since they were organic ressources.

Why are we talking about that, since Greg won't probablt include this a day ? ^^. Just to talk.

NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• Yeah with that the Fermentation device would kind of a Ultimate Machine, that would process stuff with more efficiency than anything else ^^. It would just be longer, way harder to set up, unautomatable, and working only for organic thingies.

NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• I suggested bacteria because it's something I've been thinking about and wanting for a long time, and finally got around to posting it.

And then you all screwed the pooch and took it way beyond into the realm of clearly never going to be implemented. :P

• Official Post

I suggested bacteria because it's something I've been thinking about and wanting for a long time, and finally got around to posting it.

And then you all screwed the pooch and took it way beyond into the realm of clearly never going to be implemented. :P

Greg can consider the two points :
    Basic simple fermentation device and Complex advanced fermentation device.

Whether to implement is his decision. We are just giving out ideas for the complex one as it has a bigger area for "ideas".

• How about a way to convert MJ and steam to EU but simpler for the steam. Example; small steam powered motor and a EU powered motor to produce MJ.

• How about a way to convert MJ and steam to EU but simpler for the steam. Example; small steam powered motor and a EU powered motor to produce MJ.

For steam-eu, Greg implemented a large steam turbine but it consumes a lot of steam, you can also add a steam upgrade to your machines to make them consume steam directly, an upgrade is also available for mj. It is also to be noted that the upgrades do not make the machines convert mj/steam to eu, so an eu outputting machine will not output eu when it is running off of steam, or mj. As for the eu powered engine to make mj, I don't think Greg would implement that, because another popular mod forestry adds an upgradeable electric engine.

Related suggestion, a multiblock pneumatic generator, that takes in large amounts of mj in return for a decent amount of eu, it could use your in machine pneumatic generator conversion ratio of 1mj to 1eu, and smaller versions of both the steam turbine, and the pneumatic generator (if it were to be implemented) that take in very small amounts of steam or mj, respectfully, in return for small amounts of eu, this would be especially usefull for your bronze steam boiler, so we could still use it once we get into electrical machines.

• Greg, I know you don't like set & forget generators, but having giant multiblock hydroelectric wheels would be really cool. Maybe if you implement some of the anti-automation features you did with your other multiblock turbines, it wouldn't be too OP. Also, the ability to add heating coils to thermal boilers would be nice (the idea being that you could use EU to heat up the boiler to start out, and then switch to fuel to maximize efficiency.

Also: Have the MSR's been implemented yet, or are they still a WIP?

• Greg, I know you don't like set & forget generators, but having giant multiblock hydroelectric wheels would be really cool. Maybe if you implement some of the anti-automation features you did with your other multiblock turbines, it wouldn't be too OP. Also, the ability to add heating coils to thermal boilers would be nice (the idea being that you could use EU to heat up the boiler to start out, and then switch to fuel to maximize efficiency.

Also: Have the MSR's been implemented yet, or are they still a WIP?

The idea of pre-heating a thermal boiler is nice, the thing is that the multiblock would have to be bigger, because at the moment every central face of the thermal boiler is taken by a hatch of some sort, though we could plug electricity into the main controller block, but it would have to be more efficient in heating than just letting the boiler heat up by running. For your hydroelectric wheels, how would they work, and what are the MSR's?