[1.5.1/1.5.2] Modular Forcefield System v2 Classic 2.3.0.1.15

• Firstly, I want to say I am still using the version for MC 1.46 in the FtB Ultimate Pack, so this may no be relevant, but if you haven't made any changes besides updating it to work with MC 1.51, then this may still be relevant.
    Since the compact focicium cell allows the generation of forcicium from raw energy, it should be possible to automate power-based FE production with any automation mod.
    The problem here appears to be that no automation capable mods (Applied Energistics, RedPower, BuildCraft, GregTech, etc.) can access the cell charge slot from any side, all sides appear to connect to the forcicium slot.
    If that were changed by, for instance putting the bottom side connected to the cell slot, automation would become possible.
    If this has already been updated, carry on, but if not, it seems like the least code-intensive way of allowing power automation. That or allowing reverse-mode operation for the Converter like there is for transformers.
    Any kind of automation would be better than doing it manually.

Also, what the heck does the button in the upper right corner on the extractor do? I can't find any documentation on it.

• is there any chance that there could be added a spherical containment force field ? i really don't like the normal cube. I think its a bit to boring.

• Can you add more ways to generate force energy?

Searge and I are looking into this already.

Firstly, I want to say I am still using the version for MC 1.46 in the FtB Ultimate Pack, so this may no be relevant, but if you haven't made any changes besides updating it to work with MC 1.51, then this may still be relevant.
    Since the compact focicium cell allows the generation of forcicium from raw energy, it should be possible to automate power-based FE production with any automation mod.
    The problem here appears to be that no automation capable mods (Applied Energistics, RedPower, BuildCraft, GregTech, etc.) can access the cell charge slot from any side, all sides appear to connect to the forcicium slot.
    If that were changed by, for instance putting the bottom side connected to the cell slot, automation would become possible.
    If this has already been updated, carry on, but if not, it seems like the least code-intensive way of allowing power automation. That or allowing reverse-mode operation for the Converter like there is for transformers.
    Any kind of automation would be better than doing it manually.

That isn't a bad idea at all, and I'll make sure to look into that when I update MFFS to use the newer ISidedInventory interface. Unless Searge gets around to doing it before me, this is something that I'll have to work on next week - I have finals this week, and they take priority over everything.

Also, what the heck does the button in the upper right corner on the extractor do? I can't find any documentation on it.

The button in the upper-right corner of most MFFS machines controls what method is used to power them on/off. With the redstone torch, it sets the machine to expect redstone control for turning them on/off. The power icon indicates that you want to use the MFFS Multitool in Switch mode to turn it on/off. Finally, the computer icon means that you want to use an MFFS Control System to enable/disable certain machines.

is there any chance that there could be added a spherical containment force field ? i really don't like the normal cube. I think its a bit to boring.

There are several projector modules available, including walls, spheres, and cubes.

• Can there be sort of a renewable way of generating force energy?

Again, we are looking into this. We are considering several ways to handle force energy generation that doesn't involve Monazit Ore/Forcicium. However, we also want to make Monazit/Forcicium the preferred/least expensive method for maintaining a forcefield. It's going to take a fair bit of balancing and planning before we come to a decision as to what we'll use.

• Again, we are looking into this. We are considering several ways to handle force energy generation that doesn't involve Monazit Ore/Forcicium. However, we also want to make Monazit/Forcicium the preferred/least expensive method for maintaining a forcefield. It's going to take a fair bit of balancing and planning before we come to a decision as to what we'll use.

But Minalien, what about renewable way of generating force energy?

• Official Post

But Minalien, what about renewable way of generating force energy?

Renewable EU source (solar/wind/autofarm) -> Direct conversion -> X Force energy , while if using forcicium + energy= 5X force energy or more. ?

• Official Post

I want to be able to use Forcicium Cell thingy in a Reactor as a chargable Neutron Reflector (I am assuming Forcicium = Impure compound of Thorium)

• I don't think this error has anything to do with MFFS.

I don't think this error has anything to do with MFFS.

That is what I thought, but the error only occurs with both chicken core and MFFS together. It probably has to have something to do with editing similar base files. I hope something can be resolved so that the two mods are compatible again

• Or an obsolete API within MFFS that just needs to be changed to what's current in NEI

Would anyone like to try a Slowpoke Tail?! Only 1 Million Yen!

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

Every Mod Author, in existence. And yet, you STILL say otherwise.

• Or an obsolete API within MFFS that just needs to be changed to what's current in NEI

Most likely. Searge or I will be taking a look at this soon. Searge has (as always) been quite busy working on MCP for 1.5.2 and the 1.6 snapshots, and I've had a combination of finals and preparing for my fiancee leaving for the summer. Expect an updated build by the end of this weekend at the latest!

• I tried to run a multiplayer server that had several large force fields throughout the map. The entire server would freeze when loading a field. The algorithm seemed to scale very poorly with the total number of fields server_wide. That is, if there was just 1 medium sized field, the server ran ok. 2 or 3, little hitches when loading the areas with the field. By the time there were 5 total fields, including 3 large ones, performance was abysmal - 10 second server freeze when loading a field, including severe networking consequences.

By the way, the actual server hardware is the best money can buy. 2600k overclocked to 4.6 ghz, 7 gigs of ram allocated to this particular server, gigabit upstream, etc. Normally, tick times were about 3-7 milliseconds per tick unless someone tried to load chunks that had a force field.

I'm uncertain if the freeze was of the thread handling networking or the main thread, but I can provide you the files if you need them.

Fact is, it's not your code, and it may be too difficult to fix code you didn't write. I've been hoping the rewrite for version 3 fixes this issue. However, Calclavia does not have a track record of a developer who creates polished finished products.

• Is this with the latest version, Keyboard?

I do plan to overhaul the way field generation and upkeep is handled - this is going to be my top priority with the mod coming into this next week. As it stands (and as you stated) it is fairly inefficient, particularly when multiple fields of significant size are running concurrently.

• sanity check request. is the defense stations npc kill mode not working for anyone else?

thought maybe it was a cross mod issue until i ran it by itself to no avail, so either i broke something or it really isn't working. as simply asking is a lot faster than creating yet more instances.. well here we are.

• sanity check request. is the defense stations npc kill mode not working for anyone else?

thought maybe it was a cross mod issue until i ran it by itself to no avail, so either i broke something or it really isn't working. as simply asking is a lot faster than creating yet more instances.. well here we are.

I just verified that it is working - is it linked to an MFFS Capacitor and running? (If it is running, the border should be red). Make sure that it has a Redstone signal, or is set in Switch Activated mode and then activate it with the Multitool in Switch mode. Also, do remember that it must be linked to a Security Station as well, which must be active (have a valid ID card set as the Master).