[Addon v2.0.288+] Advanced Reactors is shutting down

• Updated to alpha 10 for 1.6.2 for all your nuclear engineering pleasure.

This update also brings with it localization support for (what should be) everything.
    The localizations are held in a separate mercurial repository here if people want to submit translations.

Also I will note that I have not yet solved the sound issue :(

But items now have extended details on their tooltips (which are translatable):

• Official Post

By Random Heat, i mean't random small spikes of internal heat, and the Higher the internal temperature is the higher the Chance of a random heat tick, so you would need to get rid of that extra heat fast. Is kinda realistic (Stray Neutrons making a small chain reaction?) and would give good use to Nuclear control's stuff, so the reactor doesn't go Too crazy ^^, Of course, it would need a config as not to anger people though.

• By Random Heat, i mean't random small spikes of internal heat, and the Higher the internal temperature is the higher the Chance of a random heat tick, so you would need to get rid of that extra heat fast. Is kinda realistic (Stray Neutrons making a small chain reaction?) and would give good use to Nuclear control's stuff, so the reactor doesn't go Too crazy , Of course, it would need a config as not to anger people though.

That's an interesting idea and I think it could be done relatively easily, one qestion: should the extra heat ticks also generate extra EU? I'm thinking bonus packets might be interesting if not totally unbalanced.

• Official Post

That's an interesting idea and I think it could be done relatively easily, one qestion: should the extra heat ticks also generate extra EU? I'm thinking bonus packets might be interesting if not totally unbalanced.

I think perhaps the higher the temperature the Less efficient, but the higher the EU/t (not total EU though) So a max heat Single uranium cell reactor might make like 50eu/t but only lasts for 10 seconds.

• I think perhaps the higher the temperature the Less efficient, but the higher the EU/t (not total EU though) So a max heat Single uranium cell reactor might make like 50eu/t but only lasts for 10 seconds.

I think too. Not for Nuclear Control though. I like reactor you have to babysit :D

Soon with Molten Salt Reactors, right ? :D
    NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• By Random Heat, i mean't random small spikes of internal heat, and the Higher the internal temperature is the higher the Chance of a random heat tick, so you would need to get rid of that extra heat fast. Is kinda realistic (Stray Neutrons making a small chain reaction?) and would give good use to Nuclear control's stuff, so the reactor doesn't go Too crazy , Of course, it would need a config as not to anger people though.

Should we be scared that this trail is leading us straight toward real-world nuclear physics? As the temperature goes up, we have to account for relativistic vs thermal neutrons and that causes the reaction rates to change..... Unfortunately, my physics degree didn't get too deep into nuclear physics :P so more research may be required.

I'm still going to try and figure out how best to work this in. I am a little concerned about reactors causing small bursts that ups the output from LV->MV etc for even just one tick and frying the cable/transformer its connected to.

Also:

I think perhaps the higher the temperature the Less efficient, but the higher the EU/t (not total EU though) So a max heat Single uranium cell reactor might make like 50eu/t but only lasts for 10 seconds.

Even though the math is not exact, bonus points :Industrial Diamond: for conservation of mass/energy!

• Official Post

I'm still going to try and figure out how best to work this in. I am a little concerned about reactors causing small bursts that ups the output from LV->MV etc for even just one tick and frying the cable/transformer its connected to.

Just make those small bursts increase the amount of packets output instead of total output.
    For example, a reactor produces 120 EU packets normally. It has a burst and produces 2 packets of 120 EU for some ticks. [240 EU/t], then it goes back to normal.

• Just make those small bursts increase the amount of packets output instead of total output.
    For example, a reactor produces 120 EU packets normally. It has a burst and produces 2 packets of 120 EU for some ticks. [240 EU/t], then it goes back to normal.

Yep, I didn't think I could do that, but then I looked at how transformers work and now I see just how easy that would be to split it into packets.

It does give me an idea for an "ultra-hardcore" mode where its just one packet and the voltage spikes meaning you need even more safety features, or would that be evil?

• Official Post

Yep, I didn't think I could do that, but then I looked at how transformers work and now I see just how easy that would be to split it into packets.

It does give me an idea for an "ultra-hardcore" mode where its just one packet and the voltage spikes meaning you need even more safety features, or would that be evil?

Just give a warning on update (in-game message if possible).
    It would be fun, and still allows us to run reactors normally by placing 2 or more HV transformers directly adjacent.
    Or use GT machinebox/charger that can accept up to 8192 EU, given transformer upgrades.

• Alpha 11!!!!1!1!1!!!

I should note that this is primarily for fixing bugs in alpha 10. New tech, like the heat spikes, gregtech covers, gregtech vacuum freezer, etc. are still under development.

So after spending far too much time trying to fix the audio problems, I decided to try and fix the reactor icon/skin instead. In doing so, I replaced many places where I was using the IC2 NetworkHelper to sync tile entities with just standard vanilla sync code and all of a sudden I had sound working again. So, here it is.

Audio should be working correctly now
    Reactor icon/skin display should update correctly when its on/off.

But probably the coolest thing is, I fixed a bug in the localization code, so localizations are working correctly now. And the first translation has already been applied: ru_RU by Sodiet.

The mod will even scan through its internal lang folder for new translations each time you launch it, so if you want to build a translation you can test it by dropping it into the jar (/assets/advancedreactors/lang). And if you get a working translation, I would love it if you sent it to the mercurial repo outlined on the first page.

• There is a little problem regarding the ChargePads Mod. To craft the second best Charge Pad you need a IC² Nuclear Reactor. When you enable it, it would disturb the balance of Advanced Reactors.

Freude, schöner Götterfunken,
    Tochter aus Elysium,
    Wir betreten feuertrunken,
    Himmlische, dein Heiligthum!
    Deine Zauber binden wieder
    Was die Mode streng geteilt;
    Alle Menschen werden Brüder,
    Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

• I am looking into it now. I would guess I have to provide an API for such things (the miscperipherals RTG module has the same issue). So I'm reaching out to other modders to see how best to solve it, and writing an API while I wait to hear back from them. In the mean time, I don't think I can get a solution for you - I very briefly considered doing something like gregtech and adding the blocks to the ore dictionary but that would cause loops that could potentially generate infinite quartz/lapis.

• It has *not* been updated to experimental yet, are people moving over yet, I can port it - but I will probably discontinue the IC2 classic version once that's done.

So are people upgrading?

• Official Post

Yeah, anyone who doesn't use experiment is because they don't like the duct tape e-net.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• So I have been banging my head against this code for the past two days and I can't get the reactor chambers working correctly in the experimental build. It seems that multiblock generators have changed the way they communicate with the (duct tape) e-net - and I'm almost out of ideas. I will see what I can do, but don't expect an experimental build for several days. In the mean time I can assemble what I have of a #401 build, it has a couple of added features and actually works. But I probably won't get to that until tomorrow morning (sorry).

I know that there are some modders that check in on this thread and if anyone has learned anything about the new e-net and multiblock generators it would be appreciated.

• Added the latest version for IC² 1.118.401. The experimental is still on the way.

There is a little problem regarding the ChargePads Mod. To craft the second best Charge Pad you need a IC² Nuclear Reactor. When you enable it, it would disturb the balance of Advanced Reactors.

I've also added a beta ItemAPI so my blocks/items can be accessed from outside, after lots of trying to sort out the ChargePad compatibility problem, this is the only thing I can do (without causing serious problems in the future). I can only hope that ChargePads uses this to fix the recipe.

• Why not offer your help to official IC2 devs to beat the experimental branch reactors into working order? Perhaps even integrate some of your own mod features into it.

• Why not offer your help to official IC2 devs to beat the experimental branch reactors into working order? Perhaps even integrate some of your own mod features into it.

The thought has crossed my mind to try and get integrated into core, but I had not considered offering to help with IC2. I dont' know if I have much to offer other than my reactors - but an interesting idea.