[Addon 2.0] ElectricRails 0.03e

• License:
    This addon is provided 'as is' without any warranty. Author of this addon is not responsible for any harm that can occur from using of this addon, you use it at you own risk.

Description:
    Adds two versions of electric rails: with wooden and stone railbeds. Both of them:

• Consume 1 EU/t to boost cart;
    • When powered, harm mobs and players that walking across them;
    • Have "internal accumulator" of 20 EU;
    • Have same electric loss rate as uninsulated HV cable (1 EU/block);
    • Have same maximum throughput voltage as uninsulated HV cable (2048 EU);
    • Rails with stone railbed allows to move 25% faster.

Crafting recipes depends on whether there is RailCraft installed or not:

Example on how to power them:

^ You may use any full 1m solid blocks as well, Transformers and BatBoxes will work too, just make sure you face them at right direction.

Statement for modpacks: you are free to include this addon into modpacks.

Dropbox mirror (includes previous versions)

• Official Post

Electric Suspended rail, same as Stonebed Electric, but can be placed 5 blocks from a previous Track (As apposed to RC's 2.)

• I quite like the 1 EU/block consumption, will probably need a config for other people to tune it back. 2047 Blocks is a decent distance to run before a Substation.
    If you do add a "train" try adding something like railcrafts locomotive, but an electric version. perhaps a little faster (The routing functionality of RC's locomotive may be tough, im not sure)

PS. This is awesome.

• Official Post

I quite like the 1 EU/block consumption, will probably need a config for other people to tune it back. 2047 Blocks is a decent distance to run before a Substation.
    If you do add a "train" try adding something like railcrafts locomotive, but an electric version. perhaps a little faster (The routing functionality of RC's locomotive may be tough, im not sure)

PS. This is awesome.

It is not 1 EU/block consumption, but LOSS, aka if you have a 1000 long rail, only 1048 EU of 2048 will reach at the last rail, wasting tons of energy.

• Yeah, just like cables, that seems fine to me. A huge amount of burst power is required to boost a cart a long long way away.
    requiring power stations every 1500 or so blocks to keep the track powered further down the line.

• Could you add a "third rail" block, like what is used in the New York and similar rail system, that has a slightly worse loss then the tracks but it means that you don't have to rip up your current tracks?

• A third rail block that had a VDroop of 3EU/b would be quite handy, would allow electrification of already setup rail systems, (Up to 2 tracks) and be a bit more expensive than proper dedicated E-Rail

• Now you should add Electric minecarts that consumes the energy from the rail network and travels faster than RC hi-speed rails, maybe twice as fast than it?

+50% faster than HS should be enough, but only when HS Rails are used as component.

Energy loss on electric rails should be reduced for balance reasons.

Agreed.

This is electricity! Come on guys, this is IC2. We could call these rails Maglev Rails when used with the electric carts.

Be honest, none of the carts have wheels that are moving, let alone that there are no visible wheels at all.

Well, I don't have legend on how this rails works, I thought of something like railgun effect, but it probably should permanently cook passenger. :) But Maglev rails is definitely more interesting and it uses copper coils instead of directly contact to train. I need to think about it.

It is not 1 EU/block consumption, but LOSS, aka if you have a 1000 long rail, only 1048 EU of 2048 will reach at the last rail, wasting tons of energy.

IC2 internals actually processes cable part before machine part, so it actually consumes up to 21 EU per packet, e.g. it takes 1 EU (cable part) before give packet to rails itself (machine part).
    There is also way to stripe electric rails with standard and feed each part of electric from fiber cable, so you need a lot of fiber cable but it will be more economic about EU. Uhm need to upload screenshot.
    There is also trick: if cart is not empty and it reaches certain speed, then it will not loose speed and potentially may travel for infinite distance. So you may put about 64 electric rails and then place usual for whatever distance you need. I took boost code from minecraft powered rails so same trick is true for them too.

• Could you add a "third rail" block, like what is used in the New York and similar rail system, that has a slightly worse loss then the tracks but it means that you don't have to rip up your current tracks?

A third rail block that had a VDroop of 3EU/b would be quite handy, would allow electrification of already setup rail systems, (Up to 2 tracks) and be a bit more expensive than proper dedicated E-Rail

You know what? I may rip electric rails and replace it with those 3rd rail blocks, it will be automatically compatible with all rails that are based on minecraft rails, besides it allow to decide what cable to place under it to power them.

And I probably may use the same technique to make Maglev rails... really interesting concept, but I need to think about it.

• Official Post

Monorails? ;D
    Twice as fast as normal rails (Could be Maglev, as a fair few Monorails now are), looses 2EU per block and can be placed without something underneath them. (need to be expensive for that tho, also have a Collision box :p) If you hit something when travelling on it though, you and the minecart explodes.

• Monorails? ;D

Then place an Ocelot in a cart on this Monorail and ... MONORAIL CAT!

BTW, I like the addon, without even having it tested. Just because that's something I always wished.

Soon with Molten Salt Reactors, right ? :D
    NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• Official Post

How about making the planned Mag-lev rails require some fancy looking electromagnets?

Setup :
    ElectroMagnet Rails ElectroMagnet
    cables ElectroMagnet cables

Electric Rails would be 150% HS rail speed and Mag-Lev 300%.

Keeping Mag-Lev Rails would require 0.1 EU/t per Electromagnet (0,3 EU/t per rail), energy is NOT conducted by electromagnets, you must run wires across the entire railway.
    If Electromagnets runs out of energy while someone is traveling at them with speeds higher than Electric Rails, it will cause the Mag-lev Cart to hit violently the ground , for 45 damage (22,5 hearts)
    Mag-Lev Rails can only make curves at the same speed at Electric Rails or it will fail to hold the cart and it will hit the electromagnets, dealing damage.