Exploding machines in 2.0.158

• I have 4 machines next to each other in a row, a generator, macerator,electric furnace and extractor.
    All 4 are connected behind by copper cable, at the end of the cable on the generator side is a batbox. This ran fine until I added a solar panel to the top of the batbox, then the last machine, the extractor exploded!

I'm sure I'm missing a change that was made, but what do I need to do to keep my machines from exploding?

• Official Post

Currently, due the (duct tape) e-net, the packets (EU/p) are gone, all energy sources gets added to the total EU/t , therefore having a batbox (32EU/t) + Solar Panel (1 EU/t) = 33 EU/t , which is more than machines maximum EU/t (32 EU/t), causing explosions.

• Official Post

Nope. Transformers now take the higher packet and reduce into only ONE packet of the lower voltage, instead of 4x.
    You can only upgrade your machines with transformer upgrades, so they can receive higher voltages (128 EU/t , 512 EU/t , 2048 EU/t and 8192 EU/t)

• Is this a bug or the intended behavior from now on? I having a lot of difficulty with the new build just trying to simple things like power the machines here and even with nei I can't figure out how to build a wrench

• I hope this changes, it's really confusing. I also cannot believe the amount of negativity I got when I suggested an RTG, and now it's in game! Does anyone know any details on building it?

• Just place down the RTG block, connect it to energy storage so it can output its energy (I think its max output is 16 EU/t), then insert pellets of RTG fuel, and I think give it a redstone signal.

• Dropping EU/p is a major drawback and in no way compares to real world power mangement anymore.
    It makes things just complicated and confusing and cripples the ability to power more engines at once a lot.
    Keep in mind: The most folks out there have at least some basic knowledgement about how real life power management works.
    They know that they have to make sure that they use the proper voltage to power their machines and that they have to look after the maximum throughput that a cable allows (ampere) when they want to power more engines with one cable line.
    And many also know that transformators allow to transfer energy at nearly 100% from high voltage with less throughput (ampere) to low voltage with high throughput and vice versa. They mostly also know that high or extreme voltage is used to transfer elctrical power over long ranges to prevent a major loss of energy because of the electrical resistance of the cables that (nearly) only affects the throughput.
    Dropping the EU/p just causes confusions with major drawbacks and questions left.
    How do i properly transform energy without major energy losses?
    How do I set up a proper power management to power more engines at once without risking to blow them up and also deliver the proper amount of energy those engines need?
    For example: If I want to power four engines that consumes 128 EU/t each do I need then to add maybe high voltage upgrades and to power them through a high voltage power line with 512 EU/t to make sure that every engine gets the proper amount of energy?
    Or is there the same effect like with the transformators now so that the HV Power upgrade just drops 3/4 of the energy and I can only power one engine properly in that case?
    And this is just one little example how confusing it gets now just to find proper setups for the stuff that I want to do...
    Bulding up a large power plant - how and why? It looks like I have to power the most engines separately to make sure that they get the proper amount of energy.
    Building up a fusion reactor that produces plasma - why if I loose the most energy of it while transforming the energy produced by the plasma generators down to the EU/t size I need at the moment?
    Do you see how confusing this gets and - yes - without proper solutions how annoying this becomes?

• Don't necropost please, but for the sake of answering your questions:

How do i properly transform energy without major energy losses?

Transformers don't lose energy. They just request the energy four times less frequently. So if you have a MV transformer hooked up to an MFE, it would output 128EU/t, but only drain 512 EU once every four ticks. To get 512 EU/t on four MV lines, simply use four transformers. There is no energy loss.

How do I set up a proper power management to power more engines at once without risking to blow them up and also deliver the proper amount of energy those engines need?

Engines? There are no engines in IndustrialCraft. If you are talking about Forestry electric engines, they don't explode.

For example: If I want to power four engines that consumes 128 EU/t each do I need then to add maybe high voltage upgrades and to power them through a high voltage power line with 512 EU/t to make sure that every engine gets the proper amount of energy?

Or use four MV transformers.

Or is there the same effect like with the transformators now so that the HV Power upgrade just drops 3/4 of the energy and I can only power one engine properly in that case?

Transformer upgrades don't mess with anything except allow your machine to take a higher voltage without exploding.

And this is just one little example how confusing it gets now just to find proper setups for the stuff that I want to do...
    Bulding up a large power plant - how and why? It looks like I have to power the most engines separately to make sure that they get the proper amount of energy.
    Building up a fusion reactor that produces plasma - why if I loose the most energy of it while transforming the energy produced by the plasma generators down to the EU/t size I need at the moment?
    Do you see how confusing this gets and - yes - without proper solutions how annoying this becomes?

It's not confusing, just poorly documented for a variety of reasons:

• The e-net is experimental and subject to change, so documenting it only for the mechanics to get reworked becomes wasted effort.
    • People don't read the wiki or Google for solutions even when directed to do so, and instead make forum posts complaining about their problems.
    • No one appreciates wiki editors. Seriously. It's a thankless job that most people are not willing to do.
  • Thank you very much for your explanation!
    It clears up a lot for me.
    About the "engines": I meant all kind of machines that use EU. I for example just tried to power some GregTech Industrial grinders at the moment...

And I apologize if I sounded a a bit rough before. That was not my intention.

• By the way, Player has said that voltage will be returning soon, the E-Net is still work in progress, it was removed temporarily to make way for some optimizations.

• Thank you for this info.
    Good to know to be prepared for those changes.

Maybe they might play around with something like the following then:

standard cable - max. throughput = 16 packets per tick
    medium cable - max. throughput = 24 packets per tick
    thick cable - max. throughput = 32 packets per tick

That would bee a cool feature...