IC2 Expermental Feature Discussion

• Yeah, basing your entire play plan on a temporarily disabled feature in a development build is probably not the best idea ;)

Thanks LezChap for testing it, now that I know the limit I can plan around it.

• Yeah, basing your entire play plan on a temporarily disabled feature in a development build is probably not the best idea ;)

Thanks LezChap for testing it, now that I know the limit I can plan around it.

I'm with Omicron...I'm not going to plan my game play around a temporary fix for a bug when they're going to squash the bug (at some point) and reintroduce exploding machines, and make me redesign everything.

You know the saying...if you do it right the first time...

And you're welcome...least I could do for all the help you gave me getting it working :)

• Eh? Does that mean the "packet" system is somewhat back?

I would guess that packets have now two properties, power and voltage. When packets merge, their power increases but their voltage is the same as the highest voltage-rated packet.

• Okay, two questions...

First, has anyone tried how the ore washing plant performs with an auto-ejector upgrade that points towards a thermal centrifuge? Since the washer outputs up to 3 items, but only one of them can actually processed in the centrifuge, this is kind of an issue. Is there a way to set the machine up so that it first attempts to eject to the centrifuge (which hopefully only accepts items it can process), and then as a backup tries to eject to somewhere else?

Second, I'm currently playing with build #298 with no plans to update in the near future (will probably update when the e-net rework is finished). In that version, you have both the old canning machine, and the new canning machine / bottling plant pair. Is the new pair already fully functional? NEI shows the old canning machine only for a lot of recipes. And considering that the bottler has only one liquid tank - can it be used to make things like CF liquid? After all, if you pump water into the tank, there's no room for the resulting product to go. So all in all, should I be using the new pair, or the old canner for now?

• Okay, two questions...

First, has anyone tried how the ore washing plant performs with an auto-ejector upgrade that points towards a thermal centrifuge? Since the washer outputs up to 3 items, but only one of them can actually processed in the centrifuge, this is kind of an issue. Is there a way to set the machine up so that it first attempts to eject to the centrifuge (which hopefully only accepts items it can process), and then as a backup tries to eject to somewhere else?

I haven't tried the auto-ejector with the ore washing plant itself, but I've had trouble getting it to work at all in any other machine so far. I tried to get it to work in my recyclers, but they don't auto-eject into the BC pipes I'm using. Have you had success with the auto-ejector using BC pipes, or with a different setup?

Second, I'm currently playing with build #298 with no plans to update in the near future (will probably update when the e-net rework is finished). In that version, you have both the old canning machine, and the new canning machine / bottling plant pair. Is the new pair already fully functional? NEI shows the old canning machine only for a lot of recipes. And considering that the bottler has only one liquid tank - can it be used to make things like CF liquid? After all, if you pump water into the tank, there's no room for the resulting product to go. So all in all, should I be using the new pair, or the old canner for now?

I've been able to see many of both new and old canning machine recipies in NEI just fine, and I've used the new canning machine so far for typical canning, and also for filling a Construction Foam backpack with liquid CF (although the recipe didn't necessarily show where you'd put the CF backpack... I had to guess). Both applications work fine for me, but I haven't tested all the other recipies yet.

EDIT: I haven't tried using the bottler plant yet, as I don't quite understand yet what I can use it for. I don't recall seeing any recipies with NEI for it yet, but they could be there still.
    EDIT EDIT: I just tried out the bottling plant, and it seems to simply be used for filling or emptying liquid from items. For example, you could pump liquid CF into it from a canning machine by BC pipe or by putting a cell with liquid CF into the upper left slot, and it will fill the bottling plant's tank. The bottom left slot is where you would put the item needing to be filled, like the CF backpack, and it will fill the pack with the liquid. This is probably a more proper way to fill a CF backpack than what I was doing; Before, I was setting the Canning Machine to "Fluid Enrich Mode", placing the CF Backpack in the top left slot, and the CF powder stuff in the middle slot, and feeding the machine with water. It would fill the backpack with CF liquid instead of filling the second canning machine tank in that setup.

My version of the base NEI is 1.6.1.5.
    I also have NEI plugins 1.1.0.5, which specifically mentions that it adds some of the reciepies for IC2 exp. Do you have that installed as well?

• Ore washing plang is ejecting purified ore to the thermal centrifuge. But the other small pile of metal and stone dust stay there. so it get clogged with it.

• IC2 does not fully support Buildcraft pipes.

Still supports them better than its own ejector upgrades. I've toyed around a bit and could not find a satisfying solution with the multi-output machines and the ejector upgrade. In my previous world where I used Buildcraft pipes exclusively for automation (as I only had 3-4 mods installed next to IC2) and that worked perfectly for every last machine.

As for the canning machines, it seems like the newer split canner/bottler really can't handle construction foam (in the build I am using). Neither of the two will even accept CF powder in any of its slots. So here's hoping that the "old" combination canner doesn't get phased out, because it has more capabilities and is more convenient to use.

• As for the canning machines, it seems like the newer split canner/bottler really can't handle construction foam (in the build I am using). Neither of the two will even accept CF powder in any of its slots. So here's hoping that the "old" combination canner doesn't get phased out, because it has more capabilities and is more convenient to use.

I am using build #306 lately, so that may be the case. But just to be sure, be certain that you've tried setting the new Canning Machine to "Fluid Enrich Mode" (look at the interesting panel displayed on the lower portion of the Canning Machine's interface. It can be clicked on to change its canning mode!).

If you are able to change it to that mode, try placing the CF powder in the middle slot (which should appear on "Fluid Enrich Mode"), and fed water into the machine (can feed w/BC pipes), which should fill the first liquid container (left side). It should produce the CF liquid in it's secondary (right side) liquid container, or if you have a CF backpack in the upper left slot, it should fill the pack with the CF liquid instead.

• I am using build #306 lately, so that may be the case. But just to be sure, be certain that you've tried setting the new Canning Machine to "Fluid Enrich Mode" (look at the interesting panel displayed on the lower portion of the Canning Machine's interface. It can be clicked on to change its canning mode!).

If you are able to change it to that mode, try placing the CF powder in the middle slot (which should appear on "Fluid Enrich Mode"), and fed water into the machine (can feed w/BC pipes), which should fill the first liquid container (left side). It should produce the CF liquid in it's secondary (right side) liquid container, or if you have a CF backpack in the upper left slot, it should fill the pack with the CF liquid instead.

What you call the "new" canning machine is already the "old" one again, you haven't been keeping up with changes. Look in NEI. You will find this canning machine rated at 4 EU/t; plus a newer variant divided into 2 machines - something also called "canning machine", but with a much simpler UI and rated at 2 EU/t, and a bottling plant. These were added recently because the mode switch button in what I now call the "combination" canner was apparently "too complicated" for users or something (as mentioned in the changelog).

Still feels like the combination canner can do more than both new machines combined. Icertainly don't think it's too complicated and hope it gets preserved.

• Hey so I just updated to build 327 and it appears there have been some changes made to the power that I just can't seem to wrap my head around. To test I set up a thermal centrifuge with depleted mox cells in it (something that would have a high draw. I then set up 4 sets of cables; insulated tin, copper, gold and hv all running in a straight line to determine how far the energy would go and to determine if there was any difference between the cables. The results confused me slightly.... I was able to go a straight line distance of 161 blocks (cable length of 161 blocks) with each thermal centrifuge losing power at the same distance, thus no difference in cable type. However If I go the same distance in lets say the x plane (161 blocks) and offset it in the y plane (6 blocks) giving me a total cable length of 167, the thermal centrifuge still gets power and runs happy as a clam. It seems anywhere past a distance in one plane past 161 power doesn't get transferred. Any help would be greatly appreciated I feel like I'm beating my head against a wall trying to figure this out haha.

• Official Post

Hey so I just updated to build 327 and it appears there have been some changes made to the power that I just can't seem to wrap my head around. To test I set up a thermal centrifuge with depleted mox cells in it (something that would have a high draw. I then set up 4 sets of cables; insulated tin, copper, gold and hv all running in a straight line to determine how far the energy would go and to determine if there was any difference between the cables. The results confused me slightly.... I was able to go a straight line distance of 161 blocks (cable length of 161 blocks) with each thermal centrifuge losing power at the same distance, thus no difference in cable type. However If I go the same distance in lets say the x plane (161 blocks) and offset it in the y plane (6 blocks) giving me a total cable length of 167, the thermal centrifuge still gets power and runs happy as a clam. It seems anywhere past a distance in one plane past 161 power doesn't get transferred. Any help would be greatly appreciated I feel like I'm beating my head against a wall trying to figure this out haha.

Simplyfying :
    Energy net got reworked, EU/p is gone, anything that matters is now EU/t.
    Cable loss, melt and shock is broken (not implemented).

• I'm not sure that's the issue, SpwnX. He says that at 161 blocks the thermal centrifuges lost power, but by adding 6 more blocks vertically at the end of the line, they began getting power again.

Or I'm the one misunderstanding.

Also +1 on the Advanced Miner. I would love to test it, but I cannot seem to get it to do anything at all, not even put a drill in it.

• Official Post

I'm not sure that's the issue, SpwnX. He says that at 161 blocks the thermal centrifuges lost power, but by adding 6 more blocks vertically at the end of the line, they began getting power again.

Or I'm the one misunderstanding.

Also +1 on the Advanced Miner. I would love to test it, but I cannot seem to get it to do anything at all, not even put a drill in it.

161 blocks on a straight line, to me it is simply a problem of chunkunloading.
    If he places those same 161 cable, but in one single chunk (no matter how) it would happily transfer the energy, lossless.