Update mayhem has begun !

• We all have our 1.6.2 stable version for a quite long time, so mods started to get stable, nice and rounded-up. Now, the update mayhem begun once again - 1.6.x updates popping out toghether with the 13Wxx updates which are for the next version 1.7
    I really don't understand what's going on. While 1.6.4 is newer than 13W37 for example, it doesn't include the new stuff present in the snapshot 13W37... Do they intend to keep 1.6.x line alive just to keep it's compatibility with the mods and stuff ? Have we all reached a branching in releases ? What course IC2 will take ?

I guess Forge will be updated along with the new versions, enabling IC2 mod to work on both "branches", but I am not sure about that... If so - why they even need 1.6.x versions ?

While I am happy to see new MC, updated some more (the biggest advantage for me is no more black areas, at least not too much, as before and some improved video settings, amongst a lot of new stuff added), I fear it will push the modding community a step back, as it already pushed texture makers (new textures for a number of new blocks are required, so they need to update their TexturePacks)...

• I would say that Mojang wants to keep a slightly updated stable version, while making the next version. And some of the updating is for minor bugfixing. Too minor for a snapshot, but too major to be ignored.

:Nuke TNT: = Answer to all problems. Including that creeper camping right outside the door of your glass house.

• 1.6.2 contains a massive bug that would BREAK ALL WORLDS* if you'd go straight to 1.7 without first installing 1.6.3 and re-exploring your world

*) Technically it'll not break the world but generated structures in it like nether fortress, witch hut, willages and similar structures. If you upgrade without exploring it in 1.6.3 the structure would loose it's special abilities like spawning special mobs/npc's

• Official Post

Does that mean that every single mod must update to 1.6.3, or you loose your nether fortress being a nether fortress, or do 1.6.2 mods work on 1.6.3 like 1.5?

[Sirus] God damn I keep missing and clicking Edit instead of reply xD
    Meh:
    @above Not Entirely sure, but it probably will. Pretty sure the only thing that changed was something to do with the Structure code

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

Edited 2 times, last by SirusKing ().

• 1.6.3 failed and also breaks worlds (or rather, fails to prevent the breaking of worlds). Don't update to 1.6.3.

Mojang have already released 1.6.4, and Forge updated for it as well. Mods that add custom structures (Twilight Forest etc.) will need to update for 1.6.4.

Then you need to re-explore. A structure will only be saved once the chunk it is in has been loaded at least once in 1.6.4.

After you've visited all the structures you want to keep, THEN you can migrate your world to 1.7. Potentially. We still haven't seen how Forge and mods in general, and by extension the modpacks, will deal with the complete removal of item IDs and the complete rewriting of the core definition of what a block is and how it is checked...

• Complete removal of ID's... They what now? I do not know if I have resolve to wait another 3 months for mods to update. I actually did not play this game since 1.4.7, because there is always that one unapdated mod. And now they are making mayor game breaking changes again.

• Official Post

Complete removal of ID's... They what now? I do not know if I have resolve to wait another 3 months for mods to update. I actually did not play this game since 1.4.7, because there is always that one unapdated mod. And now they are making mayor game breaking changes again.

I still use 1.4.7 :P All the crazy changes were bound to come sometime. Best things we can do is let them happen, rather than interfering and screwing stuff up.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• Official Post

That with the Item ID removal is not that bad. Properly coded Mods don't need Item IDs being set on startup (with "don't need", I mean that if it happens to come, they will just remove any ID Config and that is) and just use the IDs to compare two Items during the running Game as it will keep being ID based internally (at least for Blocks).

• Does that mean that every single mod must update to 1.6.3, or you loose your nether fortress being a nether fortress, or do 1.6.2 mods work on 1.6.3 like 1.5?

If a mod uses srgnames, doesn't add structures to world and isn't a coremod it will almost certainly not need to even be recompiled. Core mods need recompiling and stuff that adds structures needs to get modified a little bit.

Another crucial thing is after you update with all the mods you apparently need to re-load all the chunks in-game to force-save the structures. If you don't explore your world before updating to 1.7 you'll loose the structures in the non-explored parts. I sure wish that Mojang would at least add a tool to do that offline or an in-game command to load all chunks and not require players to manually explore everything.

ID removal is godsent. Just imagine how much less ID-conflict bugreports there will be.