Posts by Pyure

Not that I've been able to tell. According to the details shown in NEI, even glass fibre cables are supposed to be limited to 8192 EU/t, but in a previous game I set up 8 MFSUs in parallel and my Molecular Transformer (from the Advanced Solar Panels mod) showed it was receiving 16384 EU/t even though I only had one cable connected to it, not multiple cables connected to different sides, and I think that even worked with tin cables 8| .

Boggle.

I'm questioning why I bother to create glass fiber cables at all :p

I guess I should consider myself lucky that it didn't blow me the f**k up when I hooked it up then. :S
    Thought that that kinda thing would've happened when I upgraded the system to medium voltage; so I made transformer upgrades for all the machines. then added some more machines before adding the transformers and realised 5 mins after I hooked them up they should've taken out a sizeable chunk of the part of the base they were in.

A bit of an off-topic question, but I think still (kinda) relevant; are we still referring to packet sizes as difference in voltage? How does EU per packet (EU/p) differ in practicality (how they affect machines) from EU per tick (EU/t). Are packets applied per tick, and so making the two units synonymous or is there some fundamental difference in how they affect IC2 machines?

I get the feeling I should start a new thread with this question... :wacko:

Choco could probably elaborate on why transformers are still "totally necessary." Here's my less-informed info:

I do use transformers because I don't want to update to the mystical e-net one day and craterize my base. More important on a daily basis, it also (as I understand it) allows me to send larger amounts of power around with less cabling: I can pool smaller threads of power into a transformer, up-transform it, and send it away. Afaik cables are still limited to their maximum eu/t throughput, so unless you want tons of cables running in parallel here and there, transforming makes sense.

For your ic2 energy-net questions: from what I understand, "packets" are temporarily(tm) shelved. When you send 128 eu/t down the line, you're for all intents and purposes losslessly sending 128 packets of 1 eu. (Someone may correct me and say that "1 packet of 128 eu/t is more accurate.")

This changes a bit in GregTech if you're planning to use that: power is definitely sent in packages (amps) of energy (volts). So a machine may want, say, 148 eu/t to run, and it could get that power on a cable if that cable supported a) 128V and b) 2 or more amps (and there was a power-producer on that cable able to output at least 2A of 128V). In this scenario, a "packet" of 128V would be sent, plus a second packet of 20V (simplified a bit since there is lossiness on these cables and machines to account for).

I see I'm blurring the distinction between eu and V a bit above. Sorry about that. tl;dr: Sending 2A / 128V correlates to 256 eu/t.

Try putting an energy cell in between, some rf blocks use the neighbor directly instead of letting the grid handle the transfer.

That's what I thought so I tried an EIO capacitor bank. Sadly, if you're refering to the Thermal Expansion energy cell, its not in the pack I'm using (unless there's another "energy cell" I'm not familiar with)

I think this addon only gives that ability to IC2 cables. So you can connect your RF generators to RF machines or Ic2 machines, but you must use IC2 cables.

Could someone demonstrate this? I also cannot get it to work. EU transforms to RF without issue, but cannot move RF from, say, a capacitor bank into a batbox.

That was only intended to be temporary, and that is a config option to enable it again. Reasonably spammable is still too much, since they do take either lots of coal and steel, neither of which are really renewable.

So then I wonder what the actual cost-benefit analysis suggests.

I'm sufficiently lazy that I'm never going to dig into it myself ( and I don't do passive power generation anyway) but it would go a ways towards judging a balanced power production tiering.

Quoted from "Pyure"

they're easy to spam.
    Not really. They do affect each other if they're near, and with cable loss, going down 100 blocks down from 160 to 60 does lose quite a bit of EU with cable loss and glass fibre cables being so expensive.

Fine. Reasonably spammable?

What cable loss are you speaking of? I thought IC2 cables were lossless now, unless you're converting to GT for transmission.

Yes, glass fiber is expensive, but the next tier down still transmits an awful lot of power (enough to cover a decent wind farm)

Definitely not. The new windmills are quite a bit more expensive than the old ones, and you have to keep replacing the rotor. A steel rotor takes 45 iron, most of which has to slowly burn in the blast furnace. I think that expense justifies at least as much output as a semifluid generator, just not nuclear power levels.

I would suggest that the tiers have a bit more overlap:

Wood: 1-10
    Iron: 2-20
    Steel: 4-30
    Carbon: 8-40

Do you have any numbers on energy-costs versus energy-gains per rotor? That's the only valid argument I can think of to justify such massively high eu-rates.

We're talking about 1 wind turbine here, and they're easy to spam.

Edited as bolded. Duh.

I agree. Ridiculously overpowered.

My idea of balance:
    Wood: 1-5 EU/t
    Iron: 2-10 EU/t
    Steel: 4-20 EU/t
    Carbon: 8-40 EU/t

I would cut even *these* values in half.

I'm curious, are the IC2 devs actually interested in this feedback? I don't follow closely enough to know if they've already said they like it as is, or are still fiddling with the balance.

Thx sir.

Bit of a shame really. I got into MOX because I couldn't figure out how to get fuel for a regular reactor at the time. I was hoping the 5x5 would be an upgrade, but having seriously fumbled through menenth's video walkthrough, I can't justify the extra effort.

That said, always keeping an eye on this thread for new discoveries.

Ultimately, what's the compelling argument to use the 5x5 over a MOX reactor?

If I have 840 eu/t coming from my MOX should I even bother looking into active cooling?

- Every digged block costs 128EU, except of empty (air) blocks (like caves , ravines etc...)
    The empty blocks are skipped (like "fast forward mode"), they also don't affect the drill.

- It digs always to level 1 right now, but you can place the Quarry at the level you wish to mine and eventually stop the quarry (e.g. by dismounting the drill).

Sorry mike its possible I wasn't clear.

I see you have a filter option. Do filtered blocks count as digged blocks or empty air blocks? Put another way, if I try to quarry an area that is 100% cobblestone and I have cobblestone blacklisted, will it spend 128eu per block it filters, or 0eu?