Posts by CiderCraft

CiderCraft while the boat does need to be charged its still just a boat so i was planning for it to be able to hold a charge for a few day of constant use there is no way to add a hud and people can't have the gui open to monitor coolant at the same time as driving. try to think more user friendly

Sorry, I just thought having something for the IHD's to move the heat to that wasn't my arse might be useful.

Still pretty user-friendly, "Is my boat smoking? I'd better whack it with a coolant cell!"

Sounds like you've covered most of the bases, re-glass roof makes sense, nice twist with the retrieval mechanic.

As for the IHD's, since their main function is to move heat, how about adding a shift-rclick gui (since rclick is your in/out key) to access the battery slot, with 2/3 extra slots for coolant cells which would give somewhere for all that heat to go? Lava is extremely dangerous, and coolant levels would be an extra element to keep track of, needing to switch out power and coolant cells over time on extended journeys. Perhaps add smoke particles when coolant gets critical?

How would you handle getting out of the boat? With regular boats you jump out into the water, so would this boat have a different way to get out, or would the player have to dig out a spot so that they can ride the boat out of the lava onto dry ground?

Would also need to suppress the "entities in lava are on fire" visual effect too, but beyond these hangups, I like it.

The first Suggestion was an unbreaking lightweight Carbonboat for Water only.

Glad someone remembered!

yes some one should start a lava boat suggestion so the conversation can be off loaded there (unless cider adds lava boats to the OP)

I prefer to keep my suggestions as focussed on one element as possible. What would I like to see? Does it feel like it fits with IC? Does it already exist? Has it been previously denied? Has it been suggested at all? What materials do we already have* that could logically be used?

Lava boats do sound popular though, so if someone wants to take that ball and run with it (and come up with sensible ideas), feel free!

* Since my suggestions are for a single item/mechanic, adding a material specifically for that one use is excess effort (goes for whoever ends up coding it, and myself having to come up with a new material that fits in with IC).

+ 1 - Love the idea.

Also, for the speed boost, only justifies if you consume some sort of power, otherwise its you using your hands to push a boat like vanilla boats are.

The boat still only has 1 "Stevepower" to push itself along, but as myself and others have pointed out, since the upgraded boat would probably lighter, you'd have a higher power to weight ratio. No crazy speeds, probably +10% at the most if anything.

While a slight speed boost would be nice, what I'm really looking for is a boat that doesn't shatter - or at the very least drops itself (capsized). Anything beyond that is gravy.

Maybe add this functionality to the tesla coil? If it's touching water source blocks, fire every x seconds. Out to a certain range, when the coil fires every source block connected to the coil has a 1% chance to create a fish item at that spot. Fish don't float, meaning you need to get creative with ways to automatically harvest them.

I think it should be simpler, right-click a block and the target is set. However this leaves me with a question, should it work in the Nether and End? They appear to have multiple magnetic poles (:P)

Simple works for me. Either mouseover the target, or use the block the player is standing on.

Undecided on nether/end, since apparently in IC they don't exist (or at least any mention of them is met with ridicule). On one hand, the spooky dangerfun of "Where the balls am I?". On the other, technology conquers all.

Why carbon?

I'm assuming you're referring to my suggestion, and not the lava boat ideas. Carbon fibre is the closest we have to the fibreglass/plastic that would normally be used on a modern kayak, and is probably lighter (so potentially faster/more maneuverable) than a wooden boat. It made the most sense to me at the time, and felt reasonably expensive (macerator, compressor, 40 coal + eu). Rubber also sounds like a valid option.

Basically I'm looking for the step above "wooden boat". Either the boat is light enough (carbon fibre) and/or bouncy enough (inflated rubber) that instead of shattering on the slightest impact, it deflects off whatever it hits and either doesn't break, or if it has to "break", it drops itself (you fell out, it capsized, pick it up and turn it right way up).

so back to boats how about it looks like one of those swamp boats with the big fan in the back to show its dominance over the lily pads? and why stop with carbon fiber how about an inflatable rubber raft as an in between (breaks on collision but drops a boat instead of pieces)?

Interesting, not sure why I didn't think about rubber dinghys. Maybe make inflatable rubber (trampoline x5/6) the no-collision-damage one (bouncy bouncy, not much in MC to tear a panel on so breakable only by punch, drops itself), and the carbon fibre one for +10-20% speed (superlight but fragile, drops itself on collision/punch)?

Undecided on an engine-based boat, for simplicity I think we should stick to Steve-power.

(even though alblaka said no to adding vehicles)

Wasn't aware of that, according to compendium only electric carts are off the table.

Lava boat sounds more like a reinforced minecart :P

Think I read somewhere that Notch was thinking about allowing minecarts to also work as lava-boats.

The issue I'm worried about is that the TextureFX may cause issues with MCPatcher/Optifine which change them, but I think I found a solution for that.

Does optifine break the vanilla compass? I'd have no problem if visually it was kept the same, I'm only looking for the ability to reset where it points.

Give me 1 reason not to use geo power compared to fuel.

Manly men of manliness use fire and radioactive stuff. Only wimpy little boys use hot tomato soup to generate power.

Uranium - It'll put hairs on your hairs. Then they fall out.

The manliest of the manly men of manliness use the bits of beard that collect on the workshop floor as fuel too.