How to make the new ''Steel''(refinedIron) in the Blast Furnace?

• It would be nice if a compressor could be added ontop to auto give compressed air with a ejector upgrade?

I tried this with the build I'm using (#645), and it seems to work (idk whether it worked in the build that first introduced the blast furnace), except that the refined iron ingots can end up in the compressor's input - I checked the compressor recipes via NEI, and apparently the compressor can convert 9 refined iron ingots into a refined iron block, which seems redundant since I can do that at a crafting table for 0 EU cost, but if I make just over 2 stacks of empty cells, I should be able to leave a few in the compressor's input thereby preventing it from accepting refined iron ingots ejected from the blast furnace.

Chocohead  crafteric2 as of build 645, the ash from the solid heat generator hasn't been added to the default recycler blacklist, so putting it in a recycler might be slightly better than throwing it onto a cactus or into lava.

• I tried this with the build I'm using (#645), and it seems to work (idk whether it worked in the build that first introduced the blast furnace), except that the refined iron ingots can end up in the compressor's input - I checked the compressor recipes via NEI, and apparently the compressor can convert 9 refined iron ingots into a refined iron block, which seems redundant since I can do that at a crafting table for 0 EU cost, but if I make just over 2 stacks of empty cells, I should be able to leave a few in the compressor's input thereby preventing it from accepting refined iron ingots ejected from the blast furnace.

Chocohead  crafteric2 as of build 645, the ash from the solid heat generator hasn't been added to the default recycler blacklist, so putting it in a recycler might be slightly better than throwing it onto a cactus or into lava.

i know i made the suggestion for the compressor to accept items and make blocks :/ its easier imho less thinking lol :)

• You could try putting an Electric Sorting Machine between the Conpressor and Blast Furnace. Send Empty cells up, Air Cells down, Ref Iron to a chest, Slag to a Thermal Centrifuge.

Now you see me, now you don't...

• You could try putting an Electric Sorting Machine between the Conpressor and Blast Furnace. Send Empty cells up, Air Cells down, Ref Iron to a chest, Slag to a Thermal Centrifuge.

that could work.. as long as that compressor doees nothing else so i can't get cloged

• I hadn't noticed the existence of the electric sorting machine until it was mentioned in this thread, but it works great. As far as it getting clogged, I don't think that's much of a risk unless you only keep 1 compressed air cell in it and make heavy use of the compressor for other things. I put 60 compressed air cells in the blast furnace, and used overclocker upgrades in the compressor when I needed it for something else. Even without overclocker upgrades, the compressor can resupply the compressed air faster than the blast furnace uses it.

I haven't bothered building more than one blast furnace, though, because by leaving it running (with a single-coil electric heat generator) while I do other things, I've now got 179 refined iron ingots, even after building a molecular transformer (which I decided to use once I scanned some iridium ore and saw how expensive it would be to make with a replicator), 24 advanced solar panels (one of which I've upgraded to an ultimate hybrid solar panel), 8 MFSUs, and a few other things that needed advanced machine casings.

One thing that bothers me, though: when I centrifuge the slag, I get 5 coal dust (and a tiny pile of gold dust), which indicates that refined iron has significantly less carbon than regular iron, so how is it supposed to be the same as steel?

• Official Post

One thing that bothers me, though: when I centrifuge the slag, I get 5 coal dust (and a tiny pile of gold dust), which indicates that refined iron has significantly less carbon than regular iron, so how is it supposed to be the same as steel?

Iron from ores have more carbon than desired at the moment, thus we remove it.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_oxygen_steelmaking

• Iron from ores have more carbon than desired at the moment, thus we remove it.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_oxygen_steelmaking

That would imply that the iron ore in Minecraft is very heavily (possibly entirely) composed of siderite (FeCO3), since none of the other ores listed at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_ore have any carbon, that iron ingots are actually pig iron, and that IC2 steelmaking is significantly different than real-life steelmaking (where the blast furnace makes the pig iron, and it gets passed to an electric arc furnace, induction furnace, or basic oxygen furnace to be converted to steel (as described at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig_iron#Modern_uses)).

• That would explain why it needs compressed air :) and I have to agree with you about the vanilla minecraft furnace - cooking fish and smelting ores in the same furnace at the same speed and fuel usage is rather strange.

Edit: I've gone a bit further and edited en_US.properties in my local copy of IC2 so that I see "Steel Ingot", "Steel Plate" etc. instead of "Refined Iron" and changed the name of the blast furnace to "Basic Oxygen Furnace". :)

• I can not connect the Blast Furnace with Heat Solid Generator :(
    What am I doing wrong?
    I can not get to touch the squares so that the heat is transferred.
    Please help!

Sorry for my english

• Official Post

If you shift-right click with a Wrench, the square will rotate to the opposite side you clicked on.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• Slag Happens MinecraftSheep

*low hanging fruit i know...*

i find it interesting the blast furnace is the first machine that consumes the resources during the actual processing stage in IC2E.

• I can't make Blast Furnace works. Help please, tried both Solid Heat Generator and Electric Heat Generator, still 0 Heat in Furnace. I read all the topic already.

• Official Post

Are the orange squares touching? Does the blast furnace have iron in it?

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• Possible small useful change, when putting the compressor next to the blast furnace; maybe have the blast furnace output the empty cells to the compressor where they get made into compressed air cells, which get output to the blast furnace, and wonderfully useful circle begins again ?

• Possible small useful change, when putting the compressor next to the blast furnace; maybe have the blast furnace output the empty cells to the compressor where they get made into compressed air cells, which get output to the blast furnace, and wonderfully useful circle begins again ?

You can already do that with ejector upgrades and an electric sorting machine as described earlier in this thread. I think you need the sorting machine to prevent the compressor from getting the refined iron ingots and compressing them into refined iron blocks.