Suggestion: electric boat?

• So in minecraft 1.8 there are HUGE oceans, and all you got to explore them is this crapy little wooden boat.
    Does Any one thing an electric boat would be a good idea for traversing the seas a little (or lot) faster?
    I checked the suggestion compendium and I didn't see anything like this, I apologize if I'm wrong.

• You mean something like a speedboat? Maybe it should be chargeable at a docking station (say if it get's <num> blocks near the charger block <better name here> then it starts to charge)

• Yea, that could work, but I think it would be better if maybe it used the energy crystals to charge it, that way you could bring power with you for loooong trips.
    It could also have maybe a few storage slots on it, or on a larger speed boat.
    What are everyone elses thoughts on this?

• I love the idea, especially beecause you can traverse oceans faster than having to wait for iridium for legins.
    Or you could have several tier boats, like a steam boat bevor you can have a electric boat.

• I love the idea, especially beecause you can traverse oceans faster than having to wait for iridium for legins.
    Or you could have several tier boats, like a steam boat bevor you can have a electric boat.

I think having different tiers of boat would be great, as you would start off with a tiny RE battery boat (or coal powered steamboat) but then progress to an energy crystals speedboat and then a quantum hovercraft (can go on land or sea and hovers a few blocks above, powered by lapotron and/or energy crystals)

• How about if the electric boat (or any other theoretical ic2 version of a vehicle for that matter) either:

1) Was crafted using the regular version of the vehicle plus a generator (and maybe some other items for balance), and gave you an interface to essentially load the generator either with fuel or a battery/energy crystal/etc.

2) Had multiple recipes for each type of fuel used (coal-powered, electric with batteries, solar, etc?).

3) The upgraded version of the boat had a UI to place one or more power generation blocks of the player's choice in it.

Option 1 would at least match up conceptually with what's in the game now with powered minecarts, though not sure if 2 is easier to implement.

• Minecarts allow you to place a Chest in them, so... :

Theoretically you should be able to create a larger boat than the vanilla boat that has space in the back for placing down a block while you stand near the front/middle. You could allow the placement of any generator right there in the boat. I'm not sure if this would be easier than the earlier post about placing the generator into the boat's GUI or not. Pick whichever is easier.

I suppose if you wanted to go nuts you could go with the GUI method and make the entire boat modular. You could have lots of optional slots. You could have two slots for engines. Two would increase speed but at a cost of increased energy consumption. You could have a slot for a BatBox. Maybe a couple of generator slots so you could use a regular Generator and a Solar Generator or two Solar Generators, or whatever combo you wanted. Allow the placement of a Chest. Maybe have both Propeller and Jet (the kind that suck in water from the front of the boat and shoot it out the back) engines. The latter might require the addition of a Pump in an otherwise vacant Pump slot. A two Solar Gen configuration might provide enough power for one Prop engine, but not enough for two, and not enough for one Jet engine. However, the BatBox adds some flexibility to that. Anyway, just a brainstorm there. I'm not asking for all that, just putting it out there. :)

• Also rubber boats please! Ones that don't break at the sight of land :P

I would have assumed anything better than the little wooden children's boat you get would not break on hitting land ;)

• I would have assumed anything better than the little wooden children's boat you get would not break on hitting land ;)

I think thye buffed up boats sometime in the past because they don't seem to shatter anymore on impact with things (Use to hate hitting rouge chickens in the water)
    But I would love to have a little power boat option of some sort, though I think it would require a generator of some sort, a batbox/MFE, and maybe something else to construct them to balance it out cost wise for their performance/run time .. But I was thinking a Batpack would be a viable recharge for an electric boat.